Airtel is throttling P2p .. Check whether urs is being Throttled?

acXes said:
I am downloading 10 GB file and getting consistent 40 KB/s download speed on my 2 MBps airtel connection in bangalore.

Hellgate ur in which location.
2mbps connection and 40kb/s dl speeds? ur connection is being throttled

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dreamCatcher said:
Yes, Airtel is throttling P2P connections. I am observing this for the past 15 days or so and I can confidently say they are limiting the speeds. My 4Mbps (512KBps) connection downloads at only 128KBps during the day and the same file downloads at 512KBps+ at night (after 12AM).
I have seen this happen with files as small as 150MB and all the regular 700MB files, its not limited to larger files.
Why dont any one sue airtel with few tests as proofs? even though customers are adjusting to the fair usage policy which they have design, They cant do like that!

even my friend is experiencing while downloading through torrents and so he has apparently shifted to RS/MU links... for which he gets the max speed.
Long live BSNL 750 plan LMAO

look what I found here. :mad:

The sh1t we need to put up with, in spite of paying a premium. :|

Why dont any one sue airtel with few tests as proofs? even though customers are adjusting to the fair usage policy which they have design, They cant do like that!

Sue them? :p We are in India.

Also, with a telecom giant like Airtel, it will take a WHOLE LOT MORE than just a few people writing in with their speed test results and expecting answers.

Doesn't matter if they lose a few customers, they have hundreds waiting to take up new connections.

Everywhere we look, there are problems to face and accept in some cases. :)

Hmm

the wiki said to enable encryption in the torrent client to workaround the traffic shaping

not sure how effective it is though

thetoxicmind said:
look what I found here. :mad:

The sh1t we need to put up with, in spite of paying a premium. :|

Sue them? :p We are in India.

Also, with a telecom giant like Airtel, it will take a WHOLE LOT MORE than just a few people writing in with their speed test results and expecting answers.

Doesn't matter if they lose a few customers, they have hundreds waiting to take up new connections.

Everywhere we look, there are problems to face and accept in some cases. :)
yes because number of people talking new connection in comparison to number of people terminating is way less. so hardly matter to airtel

funkysourav said:
Hmm

the wiki said to enable encryption in the torrent client to workaround the traffic shaping

not sure how effective it is though
I tried that, didnt seem to help. I didnt leave it on for too long though, just 5 minutes. Will try again and leave it on for a longer time

Encryption does not work. Right now I am fighting with Airtel to make them agree that there is speed throttling from their side. I too see 70 KBps speed cap for torrents.

Hey..

I too have noticed a 70KBps Cap on torrents for a past few weeks. RS links work at regular 2mbps speeds.

Is there anything we can do? I shall try speaking to CC and get some kind of response from them tomorrow.

I contacted Nodal team but without any use. They are mud heads with no technical knowledge of networks.

This was my case:

================================================================

To: nodal.southabts@airtel.in

Cc: airtelpresence@airtel.in

Sent: 02/03/2011 03:47:03 PM

Subject: Re: 08041523692 AIRTEL THROTTLING/SHAPING BITTORRENT TRAFFIC [|BAL|Qrc3192646|]

Hi ,

The concerned team has not given you the right information. Bittorrent speed

issue has not been addressed. I was informed that Airtel will get back to me,

Initially there was a denial from team who contacted me. Later after a long

time of painful explanation, they agreed to go and look back at their end.

This is the third time I am being told that the issue has been resolved without

getting resolved.

I have responded through emails with lot of references and pointers to show

that there is speed cap on bittorrent download and flash movies by Airtel.

I would appreciate if the person who is contacting me goes through the email

and understands the issue and truly tries to resolve it. Till now the attitude

of the concerned team has been that " This cannot happen. There is no fault on

our side" .

I am listing out the pointers that I had given in the previous email. Go

through them. These are things which the concerned team contacting me is not

aware of.

Few more insight into the bittorent download speed cap by Airtel:

Telecomyatra > News > TTSL, Airtel deploy NetVertex's broadband management sol

In recent past telcos offering broadband services in India have been facing lot

of criticism for Fair Usage Policy (Fair Usage Policy) clause, speed of

internet connection, quality of service and value added services on usage

of unlimited broadband plans as well as other plans also. NetVertex will enable

the two telcos to offer their broadband subscribers with new service plans that

include bandwidth on demand features, tiered price plans, fair access, and

application (P2P, FTP, HTTP, SMTP) based quota management and charging policies.

You can also check this page:

http://www.elitecore.com/mailers/eliteaaa/Business-Standard-Oct-6.pdf

This clearly mentions that netvertex does application based bandwidth control!

These are enough proofs to drive the point that Airtel is capping bittorrent /

online flash movie based download speed.

Most importantly, this issue is present only for 2mbps connections.

=============================================================

Airtel Response was:

" We would like to inform you that we wont support third party software site ( torrent ) on dsl speed "

====================================

How stupid should a person be to have replied this way! Is torrent a software site?!! And what do they mean by 3rd party? Who are the second and first party site members?!!

I will be contacting appellate.

Guys, me too !!!! am on Airtel 2 mbps plan, no matter wat the file size is even if its 50MB, am still being THROTTLED !!! am getting just 40-60 kbps MAX :( some time even WORSE 10 -12 kbps

only during early moring like at 8:00 to 9:00 AM ..speeds reach 230+kbps.... I've tried all possibilities tried diff clients, diff OS but no luck !! Fook CRAP_TEL .!!

ITS BOUT TIME SOME ONE SHOWED THESE AIR_FAGS THE MIDDLE FINGER !

Folks,

Are you guys still facing the issue? What are your solutions?

If we can do HTTP torrent downloading, everything should be fine, I guess.

yes i m also facing the same problem.On 4mbps i m getting max download speed of 50kbps on IPT files. Only after midnight it works fine.This happens only on p2p. Http/direct links works fine at around 450-480 kbps.

hector19 said:
^ and how is that ?
try torrific . com

bodka said:
Have you tried torrific ? What are the download speeds?
I tried ubnutu and I see 30 KBps download speed only!
I am on 4mbps and my speed on torrent is always between 30 to 60. http links works 450+ everytime. sad but looks no hope or any remedy to counter it. and after 10pm speed on torrents goes max to 80 or so nothing more and this all with full seed torrents

I used to have the same problem till about a month ago, but now the problem is no longer there, and I'm getting good speeds. But one thing I noticed during that time was that if I reboot the modem (through the switch on the modem, not from Windows), the speed increased - atleast temporarily. Does that happen with you guys?

Scramjet said:
I used to have the same problem till about a month ago, but now the problem is no longer there, and I'm getting good speeds. But one thing I noticed during that time was that if I reboot the modem (through the switch on the modem, not from Windows), the speed increased - atleast temporarily. Does that happen with you guys?
Nothing for me like this for me if i am using torrent means i have 512kbps connection max thats all

When I was having this problem I tried a lot of things..among them was using utorrent through Win200 on a VirtualBox VM. That used to give me full speeds. I also tried installing latest drivers for my LAN from the chipset website (Realtek), and not from my MoBo website (Asus). That also gave me better speeds.

I'm getting throttled as well! I hardly download any torrents and even when I do they are legal ones (TV shows etc.) with good trackers and seeders. Even with a 4mbps connection my speed sometimes gets stuck at 60kbps!

This doesn't happen always, but still very annoying!

I think when we already have FUP in place why there should be an additional need to throttle torrents? I think this is pretty nasty from Airtel!

Back