Airtel News Update Thread...

Lets discuss all the Airtel rumours..& updates in a single thread...itd' be easy to refer....
today got a mail from CC

Dear Customer,

Due to international link problem you could be facing some speed issues for accessing
all sites hosted from Europe & US. This is likely to get corrected by 1800 hrs
tomorrow (27th June 2006). We deeply regret the inconvenience caused.

Yours faithfully,
Prashant Goswami
GM - Customer Care

During day 9AM to ~6PM i get ~300-400 pings to sg servers...but in other times.. i get ~50-60 pings...why such huge difference...?

Routing changes everyday? Impossible! Saiyan, check with Airtel because it sounds like you are experiencing the same issue everyday.

what do i tell them..i call up their CC & tell that i am getting my pings to SG servers high during daytime to be high...& usual clueless.."we'll get back to you shortly'.....if they understood they'd do somthing .... managed to speak to a tech dept guy...says he "sir..if your are able to browse sites..our job is done ..sir,is there anything else i can help u with'..:mad: :mad:

If the increase and drop in latency is happening on a daily basis, there has to be some explanation for it so keep pushing them for an answer.

finally the pings during the day time is sorted out......very quick work done...he told me yesterda to call back if it wasnt fixed b today morning.......its' Fixed....:)....way to go Airtel.:happy:

I'm planning to shift to the Airtel 256 Unlimited plan and it would be really helpful if some of you guys on Airtel 256 can answer some of my queries. I'm based in Delhi.

1.) Do you get a public IP or Private? Can I request to get a public IP?
2.) Static IP or Dynamic? Can I request a static IP?
3.) Does the speed double at nite?
4.) Do applications like bittorrent and emule work on high ids?

All feedback would be appreciated.

zewarrior said:
1.) Do you get a public IP or Private? Can I request to get a public IP?

Its a private IP.

zewarrior said:
2.) Static IP or Dynamic? Can I request a static IP?

Dynamic IP by default. You will have to ask them for static IP and they will charge extra for that.

zewarrior said:
3.) Does the speed double at nite?
double speed at night is not applicable everywhere, but only at a new places. In Delhi, I think its available every where. I am not getting it here in chandigarh.

zewarrior said:
4.) Do applications like bittorrent and emule work on high ids?

Bittorrent works fine. I have used both Azureus as well as uTorrent. People are using eMule as well. You may have to modify the NAT settings in the router config page. for me it worked without any config for the first one month. after that it stopped working and I had to put entries in the NAT settings for the the uTorrent port numbers.

You will find more information and user opinions at Broadband Forums

Thx for your replies ppl. Apart from the Private IP everything else seems fine. And let me mention "again" ... I am based in Delhi. What kind of speeds do you ppl get i.e day and nite.

I've the 128 kbps connection. Download speed is constant n doubles after 11 pm (though they say it's 10:30 pm) till 6 am. No problem faced till today. In short, go 4 it.

Could be anywhere..... I sometimes get 61.xxxx or 59.xxxx At these times, I get good pings to SG CSS servers....

Sometimes I get 125.xxx and those times, my pings are really shot to hell

zewarrior said:
Please clarify. What is the range ? eg. 61.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x?
Your 61.x.x.x is your public IP. If you configure your airtel router in bridged mode than you can pass that ip on to your machine. No need to do PAT (port address translations on your router than). However the public IP by Airtel is dynamically assigned and changes everytime you loose your connection (powerup etc).

The 192.x.x.x is a private ip assigned by your broadcom (beetle adsl)router to your PC. This is given via dhcp to your PC. This is caz your ADSL router is doing NAT by default.

BTW I have aitel 256kbps connection and get speeds of 25 KB during the day and 55 KB during the night.

Back