Airtel or Reliance Jio in Mumbai/Thane

zoozoo

Recruit
I’m currently on Vi network, using a 5G mobile phone on 4G network. Like many others, wish to experience 5G. I know that except for better speed while browsing, 5G will not be much of a use for me but still wish to experience it myself first hand. Need inputs from the forum members on which operator should I go with, Airtel or Reliance Jio? Which amongst the two is better in Mumbai, in terms of service quality? Like for example, better 5G speed, less call drops, better customer service, better prepaid plans. In my area in Thane, during Covid induced lockdown, my Vi network was pathetic. The browsing speed was so low that it was almost negligible all during the day. Now since last one,one & a half years the Vi network has become good, maybe since Vi has lost a substantial number of customers since. So guys please help me selecting a better operator amongst the two for 5G experience in Mumbai. Thanks in advance.

Inside apartments in Thane West, Jio 5G is really bad. I had Airtel, shifted to Jio 5G thinking that it will be good. Now contemplating my decision. Only saving grace, Jio service in Kolkata was very good. If I found out that it also deteriorated, then I will go back to Airtel.

For you, Airtel is a safe bet.

Inside apartments in Thane West, Jio 5G is really bad. I had Airtel, shifted to Jio 5G thinking that it will be good. Now contemplating my decision. Only saving grace, Jio service in Kolkata was very good. If I found out that it also deteriorated, then I will go back to Airtel.

For you, Airtel is a safe bet.
Thanks Sai for your response. I think cost wise there isn’t a huge difference between jio and Airtel.

I’m currently on Vi network, using a 5G mobile phone on 4G network. Like many others, wish to experience 5G. I know that except for better speed while browsing, 5G will not be much of a use for me but still wish to experience it myself first hand. Need inputs from the forum members on which operator should I go with, Airtel or Reliance Jio? Which amongst the two is better in Mumbai, in terms of service quality? Like for example, better 5G speed, less call drops, better customer service, better prepaid plans. In my area in Thane, during Covid induced lockdown, my Vi network was pathetic. The browsing speed was so low that it was almost negligible all during the day. Now since last one,one & a half years the Vi network has become good, maybe since Vi has lost a substantial number of customers since. So guys please help me selecting a better operator amongst the two for 5G experience in Mumbai. Thanks in advance.
Can I have more replies on this please? Will be really helpful. Members staying in Mumbai/Thane.

why do you want to shift to 5G?
bragging rights or real use-case?

why do you want to shift to 5G?
bragging rights or real use-case?
Neither bragging nor used case. Just to experience 5G. As I have mentioned in my starting post 5G is not useful for me in any way except for experience sake. Can you please suggest?

Both have their strong and weak points. But if you want stability, then I would suggest Airtel if you are using it as a primary sim. Airtel still replies on their old 4G setup for calls viz a vis Jio which is a completely new network aka Stand Alone architecture. So while you may get good speeds with Jio, the network is a bit on the down side given that they are still testing it out.

If you want to just experience speeds, I would suggest go to a place which has less population density. Cities like Mumbai, Delhi are dense and so many people competing for the bandwidth hence you won't experience real 5G. I can vouch this as Airtel 5G network in Mumbai gives 200-300 mbps max, while the same in a tier-3 city gives around 650-700 mbps speeds.

5G has its own set of issues as it sucks up battery like anything. You could see your battery dropping within minutes when doing 5G tasks, not to mention, phone becoming warm to hot. Despite having my both phones support 5G, I rarely use it as I cannot hold on the entire day on a 5G network. 4G is sufficient for my needs.
So choose whichever network gives you good coverage and then opt for that operator's 5G. There are a lot many parameters which can hamper, elate the experience and currently outside the scope of this discussion.

So I’m getting some good feedback about Airtel. Thanks. Next month I will port into Airtel. Hope the port in is a smooth affair. In case things don’t go as intended I can always port back to Vi or Jio after 6 months. Maybe Vi launches 5G till then.

Back