Airtel pegs minimum broadband speed at 512 kbps

Bharti Airtel will upgrade the speed of all its existing broadband connections to a minimum of 512 Kbps, without any additional cost.

Currently, existing customers who are using broadband connections with 64, 128 or 256 Kbps speed would have their schemes upgraded to a minimum speed of 512 Kbps, while those on 512 Kbps and 1 Mbps plans would have the speed doubled to 1 Mbps and 2 Mbps respectively, Bharti Airtel said in a statement.

The upgrading of the plans would not cost the customers anything extra and would be completed by June 2010 across India, it added.

Airtel has also launched its 'Impatience Plans', which will offer 4 Mbps speed at Rs 899 per month. The plan will be available in Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore.

"Massifying broadband experience in India has been the pivotal to Airtel's strategy for broadband. - (Agencies)

Source

After exceeding my monthly 5GB fup Quota on Home649/512kbps plan, I was back to 256kbps a week ago. Yesterday, the speed bumped to 512kbps again! Woah!

Also, does that mean that the 64kbps users on Rs.499 plan will get upgraded to 512 also :O ?

JUST NOTICED:

The date for this news is 21st of march. So I am paranoid about my speed being permanent at 512kbps. This could just be a spike on my connection and I don't think they would be providing 512kbps as the minimum speed after crossing the FUP limits.

I hope they don't start applying infamous Fcuk You Policyâ„¢, popularly known as FUP on all plans on excuse of increasing speeds:no:

Arihant.EXE said:
Also, does that mean that the 64kbps users on Rs.499 plan will get upgraded to 512 also :O ?

No, Airtel does not sell 64kbps as broadband. only 256kbps & above speeds are termed as broadband.

so the biggest benefit would be to users who are on 256kbps plan, as their speeds would double:eek:hyeah:

@ Gaurish

Airtel does have a 64kbps UL plan and one of my friends is even using it. Also, the report suggests the same.

d@rK nEmEsIs said:
Currently, existing customers who are using broadband connections with 64, 128 or 256 Kbps speed would have their schemes upgraded to a minimum speed of 512 Kbps, while those on 512 Kbps and 1 Mbps plans would have the speed doubled to 1 Mbps and 2 Mbps respectively, Bharti Airtel said in a statement.

heh i find it funny though.. getting speed bump n all is really really commendable.. especially for the 256kbps lot.. but it just make it that much quicker to reach the FUP limit.. last month i dint even realize it but i had crossed the 100GB mark on the 1mbps conn just 3 days before my new billing cycle.. heh.. so was stuck at 512KBps for 3 days.... imagine that happening at 2MBps.. and then goin back to 512.. man that would be painful.... but kudos to airtel for taking this step.. now only if they realized that Actual Broadband should start at 2mbps.. u know seamless buffering to all youtube type sites.. now that would be the day..

I dont knw WTF airtel means by feasibility, am on Airtel 1 Mbps when i call & enquire em' bout the so called impatience 4Mbps @ 1799 inr PM Plan, those Turds told me that its not possible for me to Migrate as there aint knw feasibility @ my place lets,,, see if they get their so called feasibility underneath their A$$ES

FAGGOTS ~

I mean its the Same line wire or the cable aint it ?

I have no speed upgrade here in chennai , so not sure if that (news item)is correct or not... i use the day 512 and night 1 mbps plan... wonder if anyone else with that plan has got a speed upgrade.

I got a call from Airtel with an offer of 512KBps plan for 1299 which would become 1MBps at night. The FUP was 100GB and after reaching the limit the FUP would remain active in daytime and would become normal in night so 1mbps in night no matter what.

I am in Noida.

Switch said:
I got a call from Airtel with an offer of 512KBps plan for 1299 which would become 1MBps at night. The FUP was 100GB and after reaching the limit the FUP would remain active in daytime and would become normal in night so 1mbps in night no matter what.

I am in Noida.

that is the plan i am using now,been using it from mid Feb ... but by the looks of it i dont any of the double speeds mentioned in this article.

Arihant.EXE said:
JUST NOTICED:

The date for this news is 21st of march.

It is and I posted it the day after in the other thread.

But for some reason it did not register with peeps here :(

Just confirmed airtel CC this speed upgrade will be done in small phases and should be done by June.

Its not valid for plans with variable speeds like the day 512 and night 1Mbps plans.

kolguy said:
Just confirmed airtel CC this speed upgrade will be done in small phases and should be done by June.

Its not valid for plans with variable speeds like the day 512 and night 1Mbps plans.
What about Explore 1099 since day speed is only 384kbps.. Will it be increased to 512kbps (for daytime) since then it will not come to min broadband speed definition of AIRTEL..

With Swift 1099 the speed is already 512kbps 24x7 & if according to the article, speed is increased from 512kbps to 1Mbps 24x7 then it will be a nice plan but I think it will have same FUP...

&

With Turbo 1299 the speed is 512kbps daytime - 1Mbps night so it does not make sense for this plan since it will cost more but will give less speed compared to Swift 1099... FUP is also applicable here...

:S:S

it sounds like a nice idea but if airtel doesn't increase their FUP bandwidth, it's not that great either. i wish reliance would do something like this.

Back