Airtel Speed Reduced

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
I recently shifted to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit OS. After dilly-dallying around with stuff, I finally got most of the software to work as per my needs. Now since the last 2 days, my Airtel connection has been showing some weird issues. It would come up with 'No Access' on random intervals (which works fine after router reboot), Rapidshare files loose connectivity during night download (happened just once) and yesterday was the limit and the speed completely plummeted to half my bandwidth.

I use the 384Kbps/1Mbps NU plan. The download speed from all sources was hovering around 34-38KBps. It stayed put the entire night and I didn't shift to my 1Mbps download speed either. I have called up CC and registered a complaint. Now my question is, would this be a Airtel Problem or an OS related issue? When I was on XP, I didn't face any such issue.

Anyone else facing any such issues with their Airtel connection?

Yup facing the same issue.... Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.....I think its an Airtel issue when I login to my modem router I see the connection being dropped frequently... I am on a 1 mbps unlimited connection and

Problems
*Frequent no internet access (Yellow notification on the Lan icon)

Video streaming stops mid way....Frequents disconnects :(

Airtel Fair usage policy states that after certain limit of download is crossed the connection will be halved. May be this happened to you.

tarey_g said:
Airtel Fair usage policy states that after certain limit of download is crossed the connection will be halved. May be this happened to you.
That was the first thought that crossed my mind, but it's clearly mentioned, IF I cross 100GB of download that it would drop my speed. I checked my usage for this month and it's only 13 freakin' GB and no way in hell would that result in the slow down. It's either the OS or Airtel. :(

@ronnie: Have you done anything about it? The No Access thing doesn't really bug me, but I hate this connection being lost mid-way. Since yesterday night the connection has been awfully slow and SpeedTest shows 0.25Mbps as my download speed. WTF? :S

I also had the same problem few weeks back after I migrated to the 512kbps/Night 1Mbps UL plan.. registered a complaint with CC then a technician came and upgraded the router firmware. after that no connection dropping problems ;)

dunno if it may be the same problem, but just informing.

_

^Excellent. Thanks for the tip.

UPDATE: The speed is back to normal now. I hope that Airtel dude arrives and fixes the disconnection issue.

@DD: What OS are you on and which modem have they provided you?

hhehe after complaining a month back to the CC that my speed from 1 mbps has dropped to 512 and kept following them back for a day and half about it , i right now have 2 mbps speeds :p

^^ what he said was true .. me and my room mate both have airtel connections ,his router started behaving weirdly like dropping connection frequently or not being able to connect even after rebooting modem 3-4 times. Finally he registered a complaint and the technician came and replaced the modem saying the modem's firmware needs to be updated and he is taking along with him to do that .He gave another modem of same model as replacement but it had the new firmware and net started working again :D

i faced exactly the same problem as u Ethan.Try rolling back ur ethernet driver. It worked in my case since i am also using windows-7. I figured it out after suffering for 5 days since there was no such problem in my download pc which runs on xp, i concluded that it is win-7 problem

manusag said:
i faced exactly the same problem as u Ethan.Try rolling back ur ethernet driver. It worked in my case since i am also using windows-7. I figured it out after suffering for 5 days since there was no such problem in my download pc which runs on xp, i concluded that it is win-7 problem

Roll back driver tab is greyed out.

mate, even i experienced the same issue a couple-a-months back. The culprit is the modem IMO. Dont try updating the firmware for the modems provided by airtel. There are lot of bugs in the firmware. Just return it back and get another one with updated firmware. And dont accept the 110bx modem. Its fully crap. It looks nice than the 220bx but its a waste. For me, it went kaput within 2 months of use. So get the 220bx from the airtel guy and be happy..

I had similar issue with win 7 x64...reinstalled couple of times but still same issue..

then found that soon after installation..in win 7 update some ethernet driver gets updated..after which all this probs occur..

so guys either driver is faulty or airtel not compatible with this driver..

solution : uninstall the driver and choose delete this driver or something which comes when doing it..then ethernet detected using old driver and no probs..
or as soon as install of win 7..block the update of ethernet driver

I uninstalled the old drivers, as suggest and re-installed my NIC's drivers from the driver disc. So far it seems to be working fine, but just to be sure, I'll let it run for a few days before we nail this issue.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Aren't you supposed to be in the US of Eh? :bleh:

Anyway, how in the world do you upgrade the firmware on this modem?

:lol: Why so?

Will have to call up Airtel CC on Monday, for the replacement modem. :|

thetoxicmind said:
:lol: Why so?

Wait was it your or PiXeLpUsHeR? Dam I get confused between the 2 of you. :rofl:

Anyway, my last night's RS download went down the drain. I check the error message and it said connection timed out. Great, just f*ckin' great! :mad:

The perils of shifting to new OS. :(

Back