Airtel Speed Upgraded?

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
As I mentioned in the earlier thread that I have been experiencing a speed bump since 10 days now. I got a message on my mobile phone today morning stating, Airtel has doubled the speed of all their plans. So I guess it's official now. However, the joy isn't without a pinch of a thing called, FUP. Now my plan is supposed to be 512Kbps in day and 1 megs at night. Day FUP in this plan is suppose to be 15GB post which, the speed it cut down to 256Kbps and no FUP for night download. Since 10 days, I'm getting 1Mbps 24/7.

The CC couldn't clarify on the FUP part till now. So any users out here who have just got their speeds increased on the Turbo/Explore plan, care to clarify how the FUP would work post the speed bump? The CC rep said that the plan remains the same and it's only a speed upgrade.

i was on the 384 day and 1mbps night plan.....
got a mail 2 days ago...that my 384 kbps was increased to 512 kbps..till 20gb ..after that..old speed...
the night speed which is 1mbps hasnt changed..

i have 1mbps all day since the past 10 days, got the message today, i have already crossed 25 gigs, no consequences yet

psyph3r said:
i have 1mbps all day since the past 10 days, got the message today, i have already crossed 25 gigs, no consequences yet

Awesome! Did you cross 25 gigs during day or it includes night and day download?

I am on Explore 1099 plan. Getting 1Mbps 24x7 since last 20 days or so.. I've downloaded more than 200 GB.. :)

Didn't called CC so can't tell if its concrete or a speed bump only....

WOAH! So I guess I shouldn't hold back either and go all Rambo on the download. Hope I don't get FUP'd in the middle of the month.

sharktale1212 said:
Isnt the 1099 plan supposed to have 1mbps all day ???

I was looking at Airtel cause Beam Telecom b**tards have messed up my billing and connection big time.

Broadband Plans- Broadband Rates- Broadband Internet Plans in India
They have changed it now. Folks who have been on Airtel for a while now and have had the 1099 plan, it was either 384Kbps (day)/1Mbps (Night) OR 512Kbps (day)/1Mbps (Night) plan. The 1Mbps 24/7 change was introduced recently as a new plan and the old one was removed from their listing. But the users who were on the old plan continued to get the same speeds. It's only as of July end, they have doubled the speeds.

That's weird. I've been on the 1Mbps Unlimited plan since December '09 and I've never had any issues with FUP. Average monthly download is around 250 GB's. But I've never had any mail/sms about speed increase. Is this speed bump happening only outside Chennai? Can some Chennai people confirm this speed bump? Should I also be getting my broadband speed increased to 2Mbps or something like that?

Ethan_Hunt said:
They have changed it now. Folks who have been on Airtel for a while now and have had the 1099 plan, it was either 384Kbps (day)/1Mbps (Night) OR 512Kbps (day)/1Mbps (Night) plan. The 1Mbps 24/7 change was introduced recently as a new plan and the old one was removed from their listing. But the users who were on the old plan continued to get the same speeds. It's only as of July end, they have doubled the speeds.
But all those new plans & migrations have 15-20GB FUP limit on them. Its sheer luck that we are getting 1Mbps. Enjoy till it lasts. ;)

^ is this only for mumbai ppl ? I am at Bangalore and I am in the same 384 day / 1mbps night plan and get only 384 during day.... any1 in Bangalore with this plan got their speed upgraded ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and ofcourse there is always the danger of FUP in the above situation.... cuz FUP doesnt always kick immdly you reach the limit. its an average. so wait till about 2 months.. and see if you consistently download more than the FUP limit then it wud kick in.... hope its not the case with ppl in this plan.... Enjoy!

HailStonE said:
But all those new plans & migrations have 15-20GB FUP limit on them. Its sheer luck that we are getting 1Mbps. Enjoy till it lasts. ;)

I'm enjoying every bit of it. YouTube streaming everything like a mad man. It's good to finally reap the full benefits of the 1k that we pay for our connection. Well worth it I say, until that dreaded FUP doesn't decide to be a buzz kill.

Ethan_Hunt said:
I'm enjoying every bit of it. YouTube streaming everything like a mad man. It's good to finally reap the full benefits of the 1k that we pay for our connection. Well worth it I say, until that dreaded FUP doesn't decide to be a buzz kill.
Explore 1099 didn't had any FUP... So they might not do it since I never called them for upgrade. AIRTEL does not change plan without customer request. Also they had called me ~3 weeks ago asking me if I want 1Mbps for same plan charges of 1099/- but with 15GB FUP limit. I gave them a good scolding & told them they have shitty plans. I also told them I will be getting it disconnected citing Reliance's plans, even told them not to cal me again. Two days later I started getting 1Mbps... :rofl:

Well Well, I just got my bandwidth doubled. I'm in Freedom 1699 (1mbps unlimited with 100 GB Cap) plan. I now get speeds around 260 KB/s ! Gotta call the CC in the morning and find out what they're upto.

vinodh89 said:
Well Well, I just got my bandwidth doubled. I'm in Freedom 1699 (1mbps unlimited with 100 GB Cap) plan. I now get speeds around 260 KB/s ! Gotta call the CC in the morning and find out what they're upto.
Better yet use it fully & if newer FUP is implemented on you then you can call them & yell.... ;)

HailStonE said:
Better yet use it fully & if newer FUP is implemented on you then you can call them & yell.... ;)
W000000t ! Just called them and the lady in CC said that Airtel is offering free double bandwidth for some selected customers. I'm now offered with 2Mbps speed upto 30GB, post 30GB the speed will be back to 1mbps(with 100GB cap, post 100GB it'll be 512kbps) just like my original plan Freedom 1699.

I LUB U AIRTEL :p

vinodh89 said:
W000000t ! Just called them and the lady in CC said that Airtel is offering free double bandwidth for some selected customers. I'm now offered with 2Mbps speed upto 30GB, post 30GB the speed will be back to 1mbps(with 100GB cap, post 100GB it'll be 512kbps) just like my original plan Freedom 1699.

I LUB U AIRTEL :p
Really? that's nice..but would have been better if the doubled speeds had 100GB FUP :p

Back