Airtel withdraws VoIP charges for now, after forcing TRAI’s hand on net neutrality consultation

I Second that. Speaking from the Teleco's point of view, Calls to Mobiles/Landlines in India should be illegal.
I guess Even Skype has stopped call Service to Indian numbers.

These calls are not illegal if connected after arrangements with the telcos.
But, connecting VoIP calls to mobile/PSTN network without their approval is illegal.

Didn't read the skype page (its blocked in my office), but I think,
Indian Telcos might have demanded high price from skype for interconnectivity.

I think Airtel thought this will work out similar to the whatsapp and fb packs offering? Though the difference has been discounting Voip completely from the 3G plans, a move they did not do for FB/whatsapp.

In just the last two and a half years, Airtel has earned Rs 141,545 crore in revenues, and Rs 16,211 crore in profit. Over 20 years, they’ve substantially made more money, which is great return on their investment. They’ve invested for the return they’ve gotten.

http://www.medianama.com/2014/12/22...tatement-justifying-net-neutrality-violation/
How much does spectrum cost now a days ?

It used to be cheap until some idiots started claiming the govt wasn't getting its rightful share. And then the people realised THEY were the ones to fund that share.

How much does spectrum cost now a days ?

It used to be cheap until some idiots started claiming the govt wasn't getting its rightful share. And then the people realised THEY were the ones to fund that share.
2,000 Crore base price for a block i.e 5Mhz

Net neutrality is regulation. You argue for net neutrality you are supporting regulation.

let companies charge what the market can bear. This is where improvements begin. They see if they offer this they can make that. Competition heats up.

Regulation kills competition!
Net Neutrality is not an Regulation here in India, as our minds were not even mature even in 2007 when people didn't knew Internet can provide other services than mail and Instant messaging.TRAI left it by not making it as an Regulation.

I am arguing for Net Neutrality as a Principle of Internet, The same applies to Paying Water bills or Electricity > I can use it for anything, Electricity dept cannot ask me to Pay 3/unit for kitchen appliances and 5/unit for Tv.
I am sure you would pay, because you like such rules.

My point is if the govt increases running costs, the telcos will just pass it on to the customer.
Are the Taxes in 1999 and now Same? How will the Govt increase its Budget? Why do you want india to Build good Infrastructure and support these Subsidies?
Telecos would pass it on to the customer.. Really? Please Don't bs.

You are an Amazing Troll I have seen in the Recent times, I remember someone having a signature "Blr_p is a troll, avoid him" I guess that Someone was Right.

BLR_P You may Start opting for A-la-carte packs Here. Ask Your company to apply these packs for you:

6M9vRZS.jpg

Last edited:
Be that as it may, I ported out of Airtel after they announced this insanity initially. Now using Reliance CDMA zero plan with an HTC One. Unlimited data, voice and sms @ ₹824/ month. Screw Airtel, Vodafone & Idea. I don't mind data speed @ 1Mbps. Works perfectly for me.

Net Neutrality is not an Regulation here in India, as our minds were not even mature even in 2007 when people didn't knew Internet can provide other services than mail and Instant messaging.TRAI left it by not making it as an Regulation.

As a collective entity (ISP, consumers, governance bodies) are all immature to the net and its various nuances like: free speech, liberty of usage, speed vs. data amount ratio, requesting blanket bans for URLs, spying eyes on content of populations, and actually understanding how the web can actually bolster the economy and the minds of people. Like any aspect in India (unless it is religion, cricket or Pakistan), the general public cares nothing for all this, nor does the government. It is because of this attitude that lame and psychotic norms are average here in India. For example: FUP. That is one of the biggest banes of the ISP models here in India. The day monetization of data was done in India, I literally gave up any hope. It is taxing for how much you travel on a road. And then tagging it with "unlimited". LOL.

playing devil's advocate: how come there was no cry when Airtel etc offered free access to Wikipedia? Isn't that also breach of Net Neutrality?

Back