Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to get a Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 lens in the coming 1 month. Other than the heavy weight is there anything else I should be concerned about ? Do I have any better / cheaper alternatives.

Also what would be the best place to buy it from ? A good used deal would be awesome . ;)

Hi I'm a newbie to DSLR photography............am thinking of 3100d and 550d..............what are the current prices of both in B'lore ? and can i get a good deal at Photocircle ?

Purpose ? Nothing in particular .. Ive just been looking for a general telephoto / medium zoom lens because I really miss the zoom of my FZ-35 since the time I upgraded to D90 .

Initially thought of getting the 70-300 VR , but then the IQ of tamron's snaps on flickr totally blew me away ! Also the tamron has decent macro capabilities which would be of use to me . Wont be getting any new lens after this ,for a long time ..

The weight & handling is the only thing that worries me . The other option is to get a 70-300 VR & a sigma 10-20 by adding little more cash ;) Confused :S

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Faheem: That lens is on my wish list, I guess can only splurge it on next year though. At that price nothing comes close the lens. The 70-200 f2.8 are heavy but not impossible to use hand held. Brendon uses his 70-210 (should be equal in weight) hand held most of the time.

I'm planning on getting:

1. Canon EF 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS for a Telephoto lens and,
2. Canon 50mm f/1.8 Prime Lens for Portrait shots.

Are there choices sane? Is there any single lens that will be able to do the both? Any cheaper alternatives or tips in general? I'm looking for options that are light on my already burnt pocket. :p

TIA

@ Arihant: Both the lenses are decent. Both serve different purposes, and cannot be combined together. The 50mm is a fast lens. You will not get a fast telephoto lens in an earthly budget.. :p

Aces170 said:
Faheem: That lens is on my wish list, I guess can only splurge it on next year though. At that price nothing comes close the lens. The 70-200 f2.8 are heavy but not impossible to use hand held. Brendon uses his 70-210 (should be equal in weight) hand held most of the time.
Great. Ive handled Brendons 70-210 and from what I can remember it is indeed a little heavy for hand held shooting .Brendon always complains of pain after a long shoot with that lens :p Anyways I think I will go ahead with it . Are there variations in different units that I need to check for etc ?

Also how does the Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 compare to the Tamron ? Little googling shows that the Tamron has a very bad AF motor and its very slow with the focusing making it very difficult to shoot actions . Is the Sigma any better ?

EDIT : A friends coming down from HK and I might have a chance to get the Tamron /Sigma 70-200 for just about 31-32k . Also the Nikon 80-200 which is recommended against the Tamrons in lot of threads I saw is available for 40-41k in HK. Which is the price of the Tamron in India.

Is the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lot better than the Tamron and Sigma ? Worth the 10-12k difference ?

The Sigma and Nikon have faster AF, but Sigma is softer on higher focal lengths. Nikon 80-200 is good, but Tamron would be better infact Tamron would be more in comparison with Nikon 70-200 f2.8 AF-S lens (2000+ USD lens). Sharpness wise Tamron is as good as the legendary Canon 70-200 f2.8 L glass, build quality wise the Nikon and Canon counterparts are better. Sigma is for 60k not worth the price IMO.

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is difficult to find in India, but its for 43k in smartshoppers. 31k is an awesome price.

Go for the Tamron. Very good lens. :)

But be a bit careful on the price. HK sellers can sell refurb lenses at low prices. Best to stick to a reputable store.

unleashed87 said:
Hi I'm a newbie to DSLR photography............am thinking of 3100d and 550d..............what are the current prices of both in B'lore ? and can i get a good deal at Photocircle ?

plz reply guys.......i need to make the purchase this weekend !

BTW Faheem do remember that my cam has got IS so handholding is easier. :D

@unleashed87 - No idea where to get the best deal in Bangalore but the 550D is a very good camera.

guys I'm looking for a decent flash unit for my 550D. I haven't got a clue as to which one to go for. Could anyone please recommend?

Hi guys,

I bought a Nikon D5100 with a kit lens roughly 20 days back and I'm already itching for a new lens.

I will be leaving on a trip to singapore and malaysia and somehow I feel that 18-55 kit lens won't be enough.

I'm confused on what lens I would be needing,whether a telephoto (55-300) or a fast prime like AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G / AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G.

My budget is 20k max.

I'm new to dslr's ....plz help me out.

Thanks

Rahul

Could any of you please direct me to a website/or any useful docs where i can learn these DSLR terminology before i can buy one :)

Thanks N Regards

Ramanuj

ragzdiablo said:
Any cheaper alternative to canon 85mm f1.8?
Nope. Unless you want to use the 50mm f1.8 as an alternative.

The 85mm f1.8 is the cheaper alternative to the Canon 85mm f1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back