Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1000D, since I had not used any DSLR's prior to it, I have absolutely no qualms on the grip. I have not tried the Nikon D3000 or 5000, but have tried the D90. The grip is better, but it was not the deal breaker, the deal breaker was the penta-prism view finder and awesome High ISO performance. I feel in the long run, you could save with a D90 due to a wider range of lens.

Doc get the D90, Nikon actually has a wider range of lenses in India, although I have not used a 550D to comment...

medpal said:
I am confused about Nikon D90 with 18-105 VR lens kit / Canon 550D Kit / Nikon D5000 kit.

Nikon d90 18-105 kit is too tempting, for the time being I will only need a prime lens for my needs.

Canon has better presence, resale value, price advantage for further lenses in India.

D5000 is just super VFM.

So super duperly confused, can friends throw some guiding light :p

BTW my budget is 1000 US$ will be getting from US around end august or september, as a friend is arriving.
Check out Pentax as well.. lots of old, quality primes available at throwaway prices in India. The 2 lens K-x kit will run you 700$ from Amazon, and the kit lens i sbetter than the Canikon equivalents.

Aces170 said:
I have a 1000D, since I had not used any DSLR's prior to it, I have absolutely no qualms on the grip. I have not tried the Nikon D3000 or 5000, but have tried the D90. The grip is better, but it was not the deal breaker, the deal breaker was the penta-prism view finder and awesome High ISO performance. I feel in the long run, you could save with a D90 due to a wider range of lens.

Doc get the D90, Nikon actually has a wider range of lenses in India, although I have not used a 550D to comment...
Yeah....What your saying dose make sense, I check it out in the nikon shop 2m....Thanks alot dude :)

TechHead said:
Check out Pentax as well.. lots of old, quality primes available at throwaway prices in India. The 2 lens K-x kit will run you 700$ from Amazon, and the kit lens i sbetter than the Canikon equivalents.
pentax K-x was definitely in my mind when i started survye, thanks for heads up.

had used once a pentax cam of friend was wonderful to operate.

Doc, I can't find your request post anywhere but if you have the budget then the D90 is the only camera under $1,200 that I strongly recommend to anyone.

The reasons are some very very strong ones:

- Biggest viewfinder

- By far the best build quality and body feel under $1,200

- 2 dials for operation. Huuuuuuge difference, and something you'll only realize after a while of using SLRs

- Everything else is as good as or better than competition

The 550D takes better video and has more megapixels, but falls short in every other aspect by a mile and a half.

Plus, the D90 has a large set of lenses to play with as well.

Cheers!

Payne

^^ Have to agree with Payne. The Rebel series of Canon (1000D, 450D, 500D, 550D etc) have pretty poor ergonomics.

The D90 is currently at around 33k (body only) in grey and for that price there is nothing to touch it.

^^ Argh I have a half mind to sell my 1000D, book some loss and get the D90 :p Havent invested in lenses yet...

I read about these macro close up lens. I found a few of them in ebay for roughly 550 bucks. Is it worth it? Will it fit on my canon 18-55 kit lens? Also, where can I get them offline in bangalore?

ebay1

ebay2

blueren said:
I read about these macro close up lens. I found a few of them in ebay for roughly 550 bucks. Is it worth it? Will it fit on my canon 18-55 kit lens? Also, where can I get them offline in bangalore?
Only if you can live with loss of clarity plus lots of aberrations.

TechHead said:
Can you let me know where to buy old Pentax lenses ? i recently got a K-x

^Where do you live?

In Mumbai, roam around the Fort area, you're bound to get some good buys. Just got a pristine 50mm f/1.4 SMC M Takumar for 1k!

Otherwise, check out the Pentaxforums.com Buy/Sell area.. good list of lenses, decent prices. Of course, there's always eBay as well.

TechHead said:
^Where do you live?
In Mumbai, roam around the Fort area, you're bound to get some good buys. Just got a pristine 50mm f/1.4 SMC M Takumar for 1k!
Otherwise, check out the Pentaxforums.com Buy/Sell area.. good list of lenses, decent prices. Of course, there's always eBay as well.
From Chennai , thanks for the reply will look around the forums as well.

-D.Payne- said:
Doc, I can't find your request post anywhere but if you have the budget then the D90 is the only camera under $1,200 that I strongly recommend to anyone.
The reasons are some very very strong ones:

- Biggest viewfinder
- By far the best build quality and body feel under $1,200
- 2 dials for operation. Huuuuuuge difference, and something you'll only realize after a while of using SLRs
- Everything else is as good as or better than competition

The 550D takes better video and has more megapixels, but falls short in every other aspect by a mile and a half.

Plus, the D90 has a large set of lenses to play with as well.

Cheers!
Payne
BF1983 said:
^^ Have to agree with Payne. The Rebel series of Canon (1000D, 450D, 500D, 550D etc) have pretty poor ergonomics.

The D90 is currently at around 33k (body only) in grey and for that price there is nothing to touch it.

Thanks for heads up, now no more haggling.

Will tell friend to find a deal on if there is any 07/04/2010.
Have time till august 3rd week so no hurry.
Will update as and when I make purchase or I have some query.

thanks for the help.

Aces170 said:
^^ Argh I have a half mind to sell my 1000D, book some loss and get the D90 :p Havent invested in lenses yet...
Even i am also on the same boat, I have 500D and after using friends Nikon D5000 with kit lens, i am impressed with its performance. I am a basic user of DSLR and shoots in auto mode but after using D5000 in auto mode, it has a lot of diffrenece in both image quality. I havent invested much in lenses and had just one zoom lnes.

Friends is it really good decision if i move from canon to Nikon. I am looking to get D90. My main priority is image quality and D90 has a better reviews than 550D and also 50D.

Hi,

I am pretty beginner in photography and attempting to find a suitable DSLR for me. I would be using the cam on my outstations trips and would be using it purely as hobbyist only. My budget is around 25-30K for the same.

However, while scouting for the same a friend is offering to buy his Canon 40D Body only for 30K. I am pretty confused as after adding a 18-55 lens with 40D will be a good deal < 35K or not ?? Or shall I go and buy a new 1000D/D3000/D5000

Kindly suggest ??

If you are getting used 40D without a lens, i'd recommend a D5000(with 18-55mm VR lens) over it.

28k without bill and 33.5k with bill. I just bought one for 34k with 2 years warranty.

If you are not interested in video feature, I would seriously prefer Canon 40D....

You can get the price down to 27k (since he is a friend..) :eek:hyeah:

40D is way above any Rebel or nik Dxxxx series...

the pentaprism, ergonomics, grip, fps will really be a treat to shoot with....

Dose anybody know where i can get Lens Hoods in Bangalore? I need hoods for the following a) Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D

b) NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0x)

^^ Seconded. 6.5 fps, bright pentaprism viewfinder, magnesium alloy body, dual control wheels, all add up to an excellent camera. Go with the D5000 if you require low light performance and/or video shooting. Though do remember that video shooting in DSLRs are manual focus only !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back