Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the 40D:

1. What is the shutter count? If under 30k, bargain for 28-29k including kit-lens and take it. Great choice. The shutter can live for another 100k shots.

2. Yes, it is better than the D5000 in every aspect apart from video. The high ISO performance is also quite good upto ISO 1600 easily. So no worries.

3. Expect to put in more time learning. A 40D is better than a D5000 but only in the hands of someone who can exploit it. Otherwise it's just another SLR. :)

Cheers!

Payne

ashvarybabul said:
Personally, I feel it to be a good deal....

bargain a bit with your friend.. and add 18-55mm IS lens to it......
|Anish| said:
If you are getting used 40D without a lens, i'd recommend a D5000(with 18-55mm VR lens) over it.

28k without bill and 33.5k with bill. I just bought one for 34k with 2 years warranty.
ashvarybabul said:
If you are not interested in video feature, I would seriously prefer Canon 40D....
You can get the price down to 27k (since he is a friend..) :eek:hyeah:

40D is way above any Rebel or nik Dxxxx series...
the pentaprism, ergonomics, grip, fps will really be a treat to shoot with....
BF1983 said:
^^ Seconded. 6.5 fps, bright pentaprism viewfinder, magnesium alloy body, dual control wheels, all add up to an excellent camera. Go with the D5000 if you require low light performance and/or video shooting. Though do remember that video shooting in DSLRs are manual focus only !
-D.Payne- said:
About the 40D:

1. What is the shutter count? If under 30k, bargain for 28-29k including kit-lens and take it. Great choice. The shutter can live for another 100k shots.
2. Yes, it is better than the D5000 in every aspect apart from video. The high ISO performance is also quite good upto ISO 1600 easily. So no worries.
3. Expect to put in more time learning. A 40D is better than a D5000 but only in the hands of someone who can exploit it. Otherwise it's just another SLR. :)

Cheers!
Payne

Thanks for suggestions guys, I am really overwhelmed :)

Scenarios is something like this where-in the friend had sold the said 40D to a shopkeeper for 30K and had taken a 7D or something. Now, upon my inquiry for "Which DSLR ?" he asked me to pickup 40D if I am really interested in picking up a good body and upgrade lenses lately. Upon inquiry the 40D is still available with the shopkeeper and he can let it go for 30K.

Condition of the cam according to friend is top-class, clicks must be < 30K

But somehow I am into two minds as 40D + 18-55 Lens + CF Mem Card will cost around 37-38K & a D3000 kit (including 18-55 lens, mem card, bag etc.) + Tamron 18-200 zoom lens will cost around 27-28K. A straight difference of 10K.

As I am casual photographer I found spending near to 40K waste of money.

What say ??:huh::huh:

Ashish.K said:
Thanks for suggestions guys, I am really overwhelmed :)

Scenarios is something like this where-in the friend had sold the said 40D to a shopkeeper for 30K and had taken a 7D or something. Now, upon my inquiry for "Which DSLR ?" he asked me to pickup 40D if I am really interested in picking up a good body and upgrade lenses lately. Upon inquiry the 40D is still available with the shopkeeper and he can let it go for 30K.

Condition of the cam according to friend is top-class, clicks must be < 30K

But somehow I am into two minds as 40D + 18-55 Lens + CF Mem Card will cost around 37-38K & a D3000 kit (including 18-55 lens, mem card, bag etc.) + Tamron 18-200 zoom lens will cost around 27-28K. A straight difference of 10K.

As I am casual photographer I found spending near to 40K waste of money.

What say ??:huh::huh:
Why are you going for a SLR if ur not serious about things and just going for casual photography ?

For 27-28 ull get a good P&S with good zoom , more than nuff for casual photography

^^ Because a DSLR will still take much better photos whether you're a "casual" or "serious" photographer.

At 28k, you can even consider a Olympus EPL-1 with the 14-42mm kitlens. Muuch smaller and a delight to operate.

I personally do not like the sensor in the Nikon D3000 as it is quite darn outdated and quite noisy past ISO 800.
And btw, where the *hell* are you getting a D3000 + Tamron 18-200 for 28k?!?
D3000+kit = 22.5k minimum
D3000 only = 17.5k minimum
Tamron 18-200 = 12.9k minimum
So minimum 31k with shipping! or 35k for what you quoted. :)

If you don't wanna buy 2nd hand, get a D5000 body for 25k and get that Tamron lens at 13k. Though I must warn you that lens is quite sad in everyway except the zoom range.
And if you don't wanna spend a lot, get that Olympus EPL-1 and you'll have a camera you can take everywhere.

Cheers!
Payne

@Ashish.K : Why don't you check one of the local clubs in your city? You might be able to get a good deal on a used 400 or 450D. 400D's are going for about 11-13K these days, and it makes sense as a casual shooter to pick up one of those, experiment with them, and then move on to a better camera as needed.

Well, buying a DSLR or not is your decision...

But seriously think over that either U buy DSLR or Mirrorless (EPL-1 kind) you need to spend on the lenses....
and lenses cost a hell...
so if U think spending 40k is waste of money.. either buy a DSLR (or mirrorless) and settle with kit-ish kind of lens.. or buy a higher end P&S camera....

@Soulfire - Well, P&S is definitely not the option in any case. Don't feel like spending >10K for a P&S camera anyhow. Yes, not even a high-end P&S. Have been using P&S cameras till now, so it's time for an upgrade :)

@Payne - JJmehta is retailing D3000 + Nikon AF-S 18-55mm DX VR G ED Lens & with Tamron / Sigma 70-300mm Macro Lens @ 30,500. Considering JJmehta's prices are atleast 10% higher then that of MOP, I am considering it will be available easily @ 27-28K. (Pardon me and explain if I misunderstood something regarding lenses)

@AK3D - Do not know any such club in Delhi-NCR, got any info. Kindly pass on. I'll be happy with a 450D as per my understanding, as it's a great cam. Though , I have been trying my luck on jjmehta forums for a week or so.

@ashvarybabul - I do understand that in DSLR Body is just one time investment and later on keep upgrading/swapping lenses. As I am very beginner into the field just wanted to have taste of it, in case I found it interesting will for sure not step-back in spending back for a quality lens.

BTW, called 40D guy and asked him to wait till Monday. Is 40D (Body only) @ 30K a good deal ? I am getting a bit leaned towards the deal considering 40D's spec are at par with 50D (retailing @ 50K around). On the other side, I read somewhere in this thread that new D90 (Body only) is selling for 32K something. So if I am spending 30K for 40D (Body only) then why not a new D90 !!

What to do guys I am into a mess !!!

Ashish.K said:
@AK3D - Do not know any such club in Delhi-NCR, got any info. Kindly pass on. I'll be happy with a 450D as per my understanding, as it's a great cam. Though , I have been trying my luck on jjmehta forums for a week or so.

I do understand that in DSLR Body is just one time investment and later on keep upgrading/swapping lenses. As I am very beginner into the field just wanted to have taste of it, in case I found it interesting will for sure not step-back in spending back for a quality lens.
I'll let you know about the clubs. Don't rush your purchase.

Regarding the second thing, people usually invest in quality lenses, and the body is upgraded as necessary :) . At least, that's what I've seen with pros and other serious hobbyists here.

Finally, I agree with our other members in the fact that a used 40D body for 30K sounds iffy, its better to buy a new camera for that price, especially a D90, which is very good indeed.

Bump, I am still waiting for DEAL :) D90 is for sure a lucrative one, Wish I can get a "Little used" D90 Kit for 25 K, will pay even @ 2 AM for the same :D

Has anyone bought a DSLR off eBay with the EMI option? I was planning to buy one wanted to make sure theres no hidden cost or anything else to it..

^ Haven't bought a DSLR, but have got loads of other stuff from eBay on EMI. No extra charge, what you are charged is the amount divided by the number of months you are opting for the EMI.

Thnks mate...

Looking forward to buying a DSLR guys. Need your assistance. Looks like I am stuck between the same old option of Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000..

harish_21_10 said:
Thnks mate...

Looking forward to buying a DSLR guys. Need your assistance. Looks like I am stuck between the same old option of Canon 1000D and Nikon D3000..
Wait for sometime and then make your decision, there are rumors of a new version of the D3000 due to release in August.

Thnks for the links...it sure talks about D3000 upgrade but then I wonder if it be available in India as soon as its released or that will take further more time...

Is Nikon D5000 worth the extra cash, when compared to Canon 1000D? And Canon 500D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back