Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
picked up a 500d with warranty with kit 18-55mm IS lens...hopefully these lens will suffice for now :p

absolutely love the camera will be posting some pics in a new show off thread ;)

-Guevara- said:
anyone know what is the correct price of canon 550d with original 2 year manufacturer warranty ?

today i asked in 4 shopes and all of them quoted me different...one was giving for 43k, other was giving for 48k and two in khan market were giving for 46k ???

also is tamron 90mm f2.8 marco lens good/suitable for canon 550d ? because canon marco lens is much more expensive. please help :)
hmmm.. with bill??

i'm arranging cash and may purchase T2i (550D) in next 2 quarters.
recently came to know of a deal in US .. 755USD for Body + 18-55 IS lens (how's the deal?)
Need advice on following part - Should I get extra zoom (18-135) and wait for that kind of offer or is the stock 18-55 sufficient. This will be my first DSLR. Use - casual, once in year outstation family trips

mk76 said:
hmmm.. with bill??

i'm arranging cash and may purchase T2i (550D) in next 2 quarters.
recently came to know of a deal in US .. 755USD for Body + 18-55 IS lens (how's the deal?)
Need advice on following part - Should I get extra zoom (18-135) and wait for that kind of offer or is the stock 18-55 sufficient. This will be my first DSLR. Use - casual, once in year outstation family trips
i bought with original bill and 2 year warranty for 46k....also you can get it for 40-42k from grey market with 1 year dealer warranty.

you should get it from usa if its costing $755 :eek:hyeah: the 18-55 lens is good for beginners.

^ You are right. Gave a thought. I may not need extra zoom in the beginning and should be more than ok with the stock lens. Instead I will invest in Tripod, lens cleaning kit, carry bag.

I don't know what all he does, but my friend in the states digs out good deals (Once he got a printer free + 50 USD cash back :p). My target is thanksgiving day by which I think I should be able to get good deal.

mk76 said:

No offence meant, but just trying to understand why would you invest so much in a camera when you will be using it just once a year? I'd say pick up one of the super zooms like FZ-35 for a much lower price and you should be good. Trust me, DSLR needs a lot of time and patience. Learning curve is steep and takes a lot of effort. But once mastered, you can produce photographs that are out of the world. But also know that it's a money pit, the more you get addicted to photography the more you'll end up spending on it. Most of my friends and I keep saying this to a lot of non-DSLR friends, We have stopped working for food, clothing etc. We work for lenses now :D.

Hellwrath said:
No offence meant, but just trying to understand why would you invest so much in a camera when you will be using it just once a year? I'd say pick up one of the super zooms like FZ-35 for a much lower price and you should be good. Trust me, DSLR needs a lot of time and patience. Learning curve is steep and takes a lot of effort. But once mastered, you can produce photographs that are out of the world. But also know that it's a money pit, the more you get addicted to photography the more you'll end up spending on it. Most of my friends and I keep saying this to a lot of non-DSLR friends, We have stopped working for food, clothing etc. We work for lenses now :D.
Even I gave the same thought earlier to some member here... Why DSLR??

I guess people think DSLR is some super intelligent device which take awesome photos, irrespective of the one behind it..

ashvarybabul said:
Even I gave the same thought earlier to some member here... Why DSLR??

I guess people think DSLR is some super intelligent device which take awesome photos, irrespective of the one behind it..

I remember my first outing with a DSLR, about a year back. Hit the butterfly park to photograph them and beat this, I managed to get Out of Focus images with the kit 18-55 lens with f3.5! I was so excited to see images on my camera lcd but when I loaded them on computer, they were all bad :(. But yes, that pushed me to learn. So yes, anyone who wants to buy a DSLR, please make sure that you have enough time and passion for photography. Else, you might be disappointed and eventually end up selling stuff at a much cheaper price.

Hellwrath said:
I remember my first outing with a DSLR, about a year back. Hit the butterfly park to photograph them and beat this, I managed to get Out of Focus images with the kit 18-55 lens with f3.5! I was so excited to see images on my camera lcd but when I loaded them on computer, they were all bad :(. But yes, that pushed me to learn. So yes, anyone who wants to buy a DSLR, please make sure that you have enough time and passion for photography. Else, you might be disappointed and eventually end up selling stuff at a much cheaper price.
My starting with Digital Camera was with some surreal portraits..

after few days discovered that it was because color style was set to vivid...:p

blueren said:
The sole reason people opt for dslr is to get more manual control over things.
Blueren,

You can get all that (manual controls) and more with a superzoom :). Trust me, if you want the kind of zoom that's on a FZ35, it will cost you lakhs!

Also remember that the depth of field is very thin compared to a P&S. With a P&S almost everything is in focus and most of the snaps I took with a P&S were all OK.

When I got my first DSLR I was in for a rude shock ! Many of my snaps had focus errors as I used the automatic focus points setting where the camera chose where to focus. So I would take a portrait and see that the mountain at the back of the person was in perfect focus but the person I was taking the portrait off was blurred.

So it requires a lot of patience and practice to use a DSLR. It took me a couple of months at least before I started getting some nice photos (IMO).

^^ The issue was apparent especially when I used Nuke's very fast prime lens. And yeah, the Nikon AF controls were a lil different too:) However the kind of freedom you have on taking the photo is enormous.

The ultra zoom function of the likes of FZ-35 is not really effective. The camera's shutter speed is not fast enough, hence a normal "grip" on the camera will appear shaky, you cannot compare the zoom images of a decent IS lens on a fast DSLR body with super zooms. There is a huge difference.

Aces170 said:
The ultra zoom function of the likes of FZ-35 is not really effective. The camera's shutter speed is not fast enough, hence a normal "grip" on the camera will appear shaky, you cannot compare the zoom images of a decent IS lens on a fast DSLR body with super zooms. There is a huge difference.
I agree about the points you made, but is it worth spending so much on something that you would use only once a year or so? May be not. And it takes a lot of patience to really master a DSLR and to use it to the full potential. I personally have seen amazing images made with an FZ35 and NCL (on JJMPF) has made amazing macro photographs with a point and shoot. For everyone who wants to buy a DSLR, the questions should be what will I shoot, how often and how much time can I put into it? I am not actually complaining, it's good for us photogs, because we see a lot of hardly used camera equipment going at much much lesser price than the market price :).

Hellwrath said:
I agree about the points you made, but is it worth spending so much on something that you would use only once a year or so? May be not. And it takes a lot of patience to really master a DSLR and to use it to the full potential. I personally have seen amazing images made with an FZ35 and NCL (on JJMPF) has made amazing macro photographs with a point and shoot. For everyone who wants to buy a DSLR, the questions should be what will I shoot, how often and how much time can I put into it? I am not actually complaining, it's good for us photogs, because we see a lot of hardly used camera equipment going at much much lesser price than the market price :).

I would have asked the questions years back, when DSLR's were actually way too expensive. Now with entry level DSLR's touching superzoom category, it's a different story. The only reason to go for the super zoom is due to the video functions. And DSLR's are as simple (infact I think even more simple) in auto modes. The clarity of pics is superior.And in the event you want to shoot in zoom modes (you can invest in lenses later on). Size is also not an contention between a super zoom and a DSLR, as superzoom are not exactly compact to put in a pocket or handbag etc.

Ok if someone wants portability, a P&S or the micro-thirds would suffice.

blueren said:
The sole reason people opt for dslr is to get more manual control over things.

I thought it was for speed and image quailty too
shifty.gif

Aces170 said:
I would have asked the questions years back, when DSLR's were actually way too expensive. Now with entry level DSLR's touching superzoom category, it's a different story. The only reason to go for the super zoom is due to the video functions. And DSLR's are as simple (infact I think even more simple) in auto modes. The clarity of pics is superior.And in the event you want to shoot in zoom modes (you can invest in lenses later on). Size is also not an contention between a super zoom and a DSLR, as superzoom are not exactly compact to put in a pocket or handbag etc.

Ok if someone wants portability, a P&S or the micro-thirds would suffice.
See buddy, its not about the operations and features which create hype when comparing DSLR and superzoom

most of the manuals are there in superzooms also..

the thing is that, when using DSLR, u need to invest on lenses also... and lenses aren't cheap..

While superzoom gives U a wide to tele end range, plus decent closeup, with DSLR U need a superzoom lens like 18-270mm or a wide lens, general purpose lens and a telephoto lens..

and in addition if macro needed, a macro lens too..

So, isn't a superzoom a cool deal for the person who will be using camera once in a year kind of thing (or take it once in a month)

or just to shoot some family events like birthday party etc..

Anshul said:
I thought it was for speed and image quailty too
shifty.gif
And dont forget creative use of depth of field ! :p

One will find it difficult to do that with small sensors found on a P&S.

Hellwrath said:
Blueren,

You can get all that (manual controls) and more with a superzoom :). Trust me, if you want the kind of zoom that's on a FZ35, it will cost you lakhs!
I've never used an FZ35 so I don't know its features.
By manual control, I mean that every aspect of the camera functionality is at your command. If one just uses a dslr in auto modes all the time, it defeats the purpose of investing so much on a dslr! Except for the fact that you'll have larger pictures.

blueren said:
I've never used an FZ35 so I don't know its features.

By manual control, I mean that every aspect of the camera functionality is at your command. If one just uses a dslr in auto modes all the time, it defeats the purpose of investing so much on a dslr! Except for the fact that you'll have larger pictures.
Infact, most people I know use a slightly automated mode on DSLR as well. The Av (Aperture Priority) mode. We set the aperture and let the camera decide the shutter speed and compensate for Exposure at times, when camera can't decide properly :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back