Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm they are theoretical scores I would not give much importance to them. For low light, rather then cranking up ISO settings, I would suggest in investing in faster lens, they make a huge difference.

And as per your choices, the D90 is a good pick, but the K-r is cheaper, and not all that far behind. Pick either and with a fast prime lens for low light photography.

adder said:
I believe the pentax K-r comes with a samsung sensor .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Yeah the A33 basicaly shares the same sensor as the NEX.Similar difference between the A55 and A580.

No, the K-r and new K-5 both come with a Sony sensor.

Which automagically makes it no.1 in your book :D

K-r not good in low light? It's one of the best, along with the older K-x.

Aces170 said:
And as per your choices, the D90 is a good pick, but the K-r is cheaper, and not all that far behind. Pick either and with a fast prime lens for low light photography.
Okay, K-r does seem to be a good deal.

Body+18-55+55-300 for 700$?

There has to be a catch. How is the quality of the stock lens? Would it be wiser to get only the body and go for a 18-250 or something? Is it true that 18-200 or similar ranges are mediocre throughout the range whereas getting two separate lenses for the whole range will give better results?

Pentax has the IS on the body, right? Does that mean I can use any sort of lens with it? How is the availability of lenses in Delhi? What is the cost like? Availability of parts in case something goes wrong?

You can also try Sony A580 - It beats all its competitors in low light performance.

Will go through some reviews, thanks.

Was going through this thread and you mentioned second hand Pentax lenses being cheap. Which Pentax do you have? Can you tell me more about the lenses(both first and second hand).

TheBellJar said:
Is it true that 18-200 or similar ranges are mediocre throughout the range whereas getting two separate lenses for the whole range will give better results?
Yes, the 18-200mm+ lenses will give slightly inferior results compared to two separate lenses covering the same focal length (though this does not essentially means two bad lenses would be better than the best 18-200mm).. The advantage of having a 18-200mm+ lens is its sheer flexibility, no need to switch between lenses for shots.. So choose as per your requirements.. If for optical quality, two lenses would be better (primes would be even better) & of for convenience, superzoom lens..

TechHead said:
No, the K-r and new K-5 both come with a Sony sensor.
Which automagically makes it no.1 in your book :D

Well to me there is no clear no 1,you assume wrong:p, the canon 550D sensor is still right up there its has a 2 mp advantage over the 16mp sony sensor and yet has good image quality.

While the current Sony sensor and nikon sensors do have the edge in high ISO according to DXO.

I believe there is more to a sensor then just the high iso.

BTW here is a intresting article on DXO sensor tests by luminous landscape DxOMark Sensor For Benchmarking Cameras.

Yeah,those dxo marks are not really representative of real world tests. I have a K-x,and high iso shots clean up really well in ACR. Will post some later today. It is the same sensor as in the newer K-r.

Looking to pick up a Canon 500D + kit lens + 50mm f1.8 lens.

Prices in jjmehta seem to be better than ebay despite the valentine's day offer with the free Hitachi 500gb external hdd.

Does anyone have any leads for good deals on either of the above?

I'm particularly interested in portraits and macro shots, but I cannot afford a macro lens at the moment, so I'm sticking to the 50mm prime for now. I'm not particularly interested in the kit lens, but I'm getting it since its usually better value to get it with the body, and gives me added flexibility just in case. Not at all interested in telephoto lenses, but only recently realized that most macro lenses are telephoto as well :)

^^ Most good macro lens are fixed focal length, in Canon the 100mm L glass is the best, but yeah expensive at 40k :)

JJM prices are high, if you coming down to Mumbai, goto fort its a huge camera gear market and you should get much better deals there. Kit lens is a must have, the focal length of 18-50 is what you will be using 90% of the time, the 50mm prime is good for portrait shots. The 500D has a good sensor, some say its better then 550D too. And yeah dont pick up the cheap telezoom lens with macro modes, the IQ is poor..

Can someone tell me what real world advantages does the 550D offer over 500D.. I know the differences in specs, but in real world performance, especially for still images (portrait mostly) what difference would the higher spec'd camera make?

Aces170 said:
in Canon the 100mm L glass is the best

are you talking about macro, cuz the 180 3.5 L is leagues ahead of the 100. The 100 is overpriced compared to the quality difference/IS it offers over the canon ef 100 2.8 non L.

are you talking about macro, cuz the 180 3.5 L is leagues ahead of the 100. The 100 is overpriced compared to the quality difference/IS it offers over the canon ef 100 2.8 non L.

Hmm the 100mm is actually a very good portrait lens too, the shallow DOF helps a lot in portraits, although I have never seen a 180 3.5L hence cannot compare. Yep, and I agree with you on the non IS version of the lens is better VFM, but a friend who has both the lens thinks otherwise, and has had lengthy discussions with me on the same.. BTW personally I would get the Tamron 90mm macro, as I feel that is the most VFM lens, but the purist argue otherwise..

Can someone tell me what real world advantages does the 550D offer over 500D.. I know the differences in specs, but in real world performance, especially for still images (portrait mostly) what difference would the higher spec'd camera make?

550D's supposedly offers theoretical higher ISO support, but atleast till ISO 1600 the 500D seems to have a better IQ. Of course in video 550D is leagues ahead..

TheBellJar said:
Okay, K-r does seem to be a good deal.

Body+18-55+55-300 for 700$?

There has to be a catch. How is the quality of the stock lens? Would it be wiser to get only the body and go for a 18-250 or something? Is it true that 18-200 or similar ranges are mediocre throughout the range whereas getting two separate lenses for the whole range will give better results?

Pentax has the IS on the body, right? Does that mean I can use any sort of lens with it? How is the availability of lenses in Delhi? What is the cost like? Availability of parts in case something goes wrong?
Would appreciate a reply..?!

I am not too sure of the website. Its better if you buy from Amazon or B&H photo and the likes. The Pentax kit lens are as good as they come, (frankly I dont see a difference between the Canon/Nikon/Sony IS kit lens, although people claim Nikon has the best).

Pentax cams AFAIK have the IS on the body, getting third party lens in India is gonna be a problem (especially new ones). however if you look you will get a lot of old Pentax mount gems at dirt cheap prices. And yes 18-200 will not be very good at IQ, but they will be convenient especially if you dont want to carry extra lenses.

And Pentax has a service centre in Mumbai, not sure about Delhi. However the US warranty will not work here..

Tamron/Sigma etc don't make Pentax mount lenses then? If they do, are these inferior in IQ than the ones made by Pentax? Will all old Pentax mount fit on the K-r?

There is a service centre in Delhi as well. Looked it up. Secondly, about $750ish I can get Body+18-55+55-300. Good deal or can I find it cheaper, maybe some promotional discount or something?

Tamron and Sigma make Pentax mount, its just that finding one in India is very tough, and in India they are more expensive then Canon/Nikon mounts.

Yes the old Pentax lens will mount and most will AF on the cam (ask Techhead he was able to source some quality lens inside 5k).

The price seems nice, I haven't come across a better deal.

Tamron/Sigma makes lots of lenses. A lot of them is junk but there are a few which are good VFM lenses and a few select lenses are actually better than OEM lenses.

Depends on which ones you are referring to.

Re: D80 or a newer dSLR?

Hi guys,

I am an FZ35 user, looking at the possibility of getting my first dSLR. Have been looking at the 500D/550D and the D3100 so far. Now a friend of mine has a the Nikon D80 in very good condition with Tokina ATX Pro 12-24 F4, but I must offer him a price. How much and which option should I go for. General photography for me, landscape mostly, some portraits.

Confused. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back