Alternative to Truecaller ?

If google's phone app does the caller ID thing well then i won't need TC
It does but the database is smaller than Truecaller wrt to spam identification. It can also auto reject spam calls. It will work on any android device.

All new phones apart from Samsung comes with Google Phone as the default app only.

Google phone App is weak with regards to caller identification.
TC cannot be beaten with its huuuge database. Fiddle with its settings and your phone will be alright

SMS Organiser(SO) also has that feature. Wasn't sure, but checked it now.

I too was reluctant to have another app when one from Google does all your work. Eventually, I realised that the database of TC is very large than what Google had when it came out with this feature of call-id. So it would still take some time for google to be at par(hence one of the reasons to start pushing Google dialer on almost every phone sans Samsung)with TC's caller data set. Given how Indian's have embraced TC whole-heartedly, I don't see its popularity waning down soon, unless Google decides to act up.

I tried to compare the call recording from both TC and google dialer. While Google can record from both the microphone and earpiece, for TC, it can explicitly record from microphone only. That was a real bummer. I might be wrong, somebody can correct me. For now, have to listen to that nasty msg from Google.. "Your call is now being recorded." :triumph:
I was using MS SMS organizer since its launch, and now it is fairly matured. I like its Finance tab where it reads bank details from SMS and shows transactions like a mini statement, and Offers tabs where it fetches coupon codes from SMS and online for regular sites like swiggy etc

Google removed permissions to access data from caller app from Android8 I guess. So, 3rd party cannot get access to earpiece data (voice of the person who you are talking with). Thats why, with those apps, your voice will be louder and cannot hear the other person's voice.
I guess, recording can be better when you enable speaker. I used to use ACR call recording app which got killed due to this google's change.

I think many 3rd party vendors which do not use vanilla android versions does have their own implementations for call recording

Last edited:
Google removed permissions to access data from caller app from Android8 I guess. So, 3rd party cannot get access to earpiece data (voice of the person who you are talking with). Thats why, with those apps, your voice will be louder and cannot hear the other person's voice.
I guess, recording can be better when you enable speaker. I used to use ACR call recording app which got killed due to this google's change.
I use ACR too and expect to continue using when i complete migrating over to the S20FE.

Some people mentioned that on phones where call recording works to try the one from the samsung shop, its modified

Instead of the playstore.

Otherwise the one that gets the most traction is CubeACR. Different company from ACR.

That's requires a Google or Microsoft account sign up. Isn't it equally worse?
its bad, but its not equally worse since the scope is extremely limited.

IMG_20220422_145438.jpg

TC is crap and so are the other apps which claim to block spams etc.
TC works good for few days but thereafter even rings for spam calls.
My only motive for TC was to identify lame callers, bots and spams. I'm living with it now for past 2 yrs.
I have tried almost every app both root/non root types and feel TC can do the job only if their app behaves properly.

Tip: Only set TC as default dialer for spams and not at all for sms etc.

Why did you even set Truecaller as the default dialer or SMS app? I use truecaller on my device but only as caller ID and not as dialer or SMS app replacement. No slow downs.
My phone is on its 4th year and is an old Snapdragon 636 based device with 4GB RAM.

To fix your issue you could uninstall the truecaller app and reinstall it again and no matter how many times during the app setup it asks you to make it default app just don't and you'll be fine.
For incoming call from unknown (number not from contact list) person how to find caller then before receiving the call? AFAIK, to find caller id while handset is ringing there is no option other than setting TC as default dialer.

Back