Amazon coming to India next year!

Retailers will get a beating for sure. Nothing ever beats the comfort of ordering something from the couch and receiving it at the doorstep! :D

I hope IKEA is listening. We want durable cheap ready-to-assemble furniture now! :(

would love amazon here.i hope they bring a catalogue of international product has well.hopefully it will be better than global easybuy.

If they sell computer hardware at prices as low as Amazon.com(US SITE) and Newegg.com then probably it might just be an alternative to buying hardware at affordable prices. If not then its just a waste of time like ebay.in

hope the pricing in india is right..very often the amazon UK site is overpriced than its US counterpart. if thats the case here it will be a big fail.

titana said:
hope the pricing in india is right..very often the amazon UK site is overpriced than its US counterpart. if thats the case here it will be a big fail.

Electronics and computer hardware sold in the UK is expensive compared to the US. It isn't an exception for Amazon alone. I had a couple of friends in the UK planning to come down to India during last vacation Fall and wanted to buy an AVR and the pricing was almost similar compared to Indian grey mkt pricing.

Amazon needs to score on the customer service part as well in addition to pricing. If an item is DOA they need to have a pickup facility from a reputed courier service a la WD. And one cannot expect them to match US pricing lol. Did we forget the taxes here? :p

Amazon coming to India is a good thing, but considering the Indian tax structure (not to mention stupid octroi) in many cities, I'm thinking its gonna be just another ecommerce site in India. The only upside will probably be if Amazon can provide some stuff listed on their US website at a subsidised rate than getting it via ShopnShip or eBay GlobalBuy would cost. But then, if wishes were horses... :no:

Hopefully courier service also improves in India at the same time. Unreliable courier service is one of the points which needs to improve quite a lot for online shopping to really strike a cord with majority of people.

If they just buy an existing firm, there might be no change in the way we get service. Example if they buy Flipcart or Letsbuy then you might face the same trouble you're facing now since people working in the old organisation will still work there but under a different name. And they (people) will work in their usual old way (indian style). Amazon cant make people work differently, right?

more competition, more choice, more discounts/coupons/sales. yipeee.

I hope newegg will be here soon too thanks to the proposed FDI cap relaxation in multi-brand retail.

Back