Amazon Fire TV Stick India Launched for Rs 3999

Kodi has uPnP and WiFi network support. I guess, the path is Settings > Services >

You will have to have Kodi installed on your PC and server enabled.

I am using Fire Stick for past 1.5 years or so. I bought the 1st gen back in 2016 beginning. I am in US so my primary source of entertainment is streaming only. I have Kodi side loaded on this since day 1 (now updated to Krypton 17.1) and use various addons to watch LiveTV. I do not use Prime videos as I don't have anything to see there and I won't be even renewing my prime once it expires. I use Youtube and Netflix and they work pretty well. For a primary entertainment device, I should have bought a FireTV Box instead but since it was my first foray into Kodi, I wanted to invest less. But the stick is still serving me well and works as expected. No issues whatsoever. I like the fact that I don't have to point the remote to the TV.

The only minor issue I have found sometimes happening is that my videos on Kodi and other *cough*live tv*cough* apps (but not netflix, youtube) would stutter and frame rates would drop with lost audio. I always though that it was probably due to unreliable streams from not so dedicated servers. But in an attempt to fix it, I tried this, I put the firestick in fridge for 20 minutes as it was warm (not hot) to hold. After reconnecting, this were back to normal. I do this only when restarting the stick does not help. I use my TVs USB port to supply power, rarely it will say that power is not enough but it would still work. In my case, I have not really faced wifi issues as my wifi router is just behind the TV so distance between stick and router is very very less.

I many a times think to change and get a FireTV Box but then again, I don't see a real need of that as the stick does whatever I want for now. I never use local playback so having MicroSD slot or USB slot was not a requirement.
What are advantages of fire box as opposed to fire stick?

Will fire tv box work with 100% functionality in india?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are advantages of fire box as opposed to fire stick?

Will fire tv box work with 100% functionality in india?

One main advantage I see is having wired connectivity. If your firestick is attached to TV in one corner of home and your router another then I believe you may experience not so strong wifi connectivity between stick and router. I haven't experienced this since my router is just behind tv.
Firetv is faster compared to the stick. May not get much hot warm compared to stick. But stick getting warm may not be much of an issue in India since we all usually tend to turn off our electronics and TV etc at night (like completely turn off).
Functionality wise I believe both should work in India with an Indian amazon account.
Also firetv has MicroSD or usb or some slot, not sure. That would probably be useful for some.

Bought the stick on a whim and no regrets. Yet.

Works as promised.

If anyone in Bandra W wants the Airtel 100GB offer, let me know.

Can i buy from eBay? It's imported piece, 3600 rs plus 8.5% discount coupon plus 1500 rs payback points i have, should I take the risk?

Will USA version work exactly as Indian?

In reply to everyone wondering about imported Amazon devices in India:

I have a 1st gen Fire TV which I got from UK and have been using it for the last 1.5 years. I was primarily using it for Kodi and Netflix. Even though I had Prime India subscription it never worked in my Fire TV but Immediately after the software update (the one with the new UI and it released in India the same day Fire TV stick was announced for India) Amazon India Prime Videos showed up by itself (I didn’t change any settings at all). Before the update the home UI was showing UK Prime videos but I was never able to play anything.

I think it loads Prime video based on where you are located. So if I move to UK with my FireTV it would show UK Prime video content. (But unlike Netflix I believe my Amazon India Prime membership may not work outside India)

So as of now amazon prime India works, am I right?

Yes that is correct

Do you have any issues in kodi? Works good? Or bad?
No issues with Kodi but x265 video doesn't always play specially 1080p videos but support was added in the 2gen Fire TV. Do understand that I am talking about 1st gen Fire TV box and not the stick here.

Back