CPU/Mobo AMD Bulldozer Discussion Thread

mrcool63 said:
guys i want a serious answer. is it worth waiting for the bulldozer to upgrade? i will be upgrading shortly nd should i wait till august or not. otherwise will go for the 2600k.

What are your current system specs?

baccilus said:
What are your current system specs?
Me too , am eagerly waiting for the BULLDOZER , am currently on AMD Phnm II x 4 955.

bangin my head weather AMD or Intel :/ RATS !!!

Well I don't see a need of jumping to either bulldozer or sandy bridge if you have a phenom II. The difference in performance is there but not jaw dropping.

In read world applications it hardly matters, shaving couple of seconds or bunch of them by spend k's of money doesn't make sense. Rather spend your money in upgrading components that really deserves ungrading.

Its not like Phenom II performance is puny in comparision to SB and Bulldozer. Overclock its and get a after market cooler or spend in WC kit. Even if bulldozer performs I won't be upgrading soon. have much important things to buy than spending on CPU that I hardly use except in coding,.

hector19 said:
Me too , am eagerly waiting for the BULLDOZER , am currently on AMD Phnm II x 4 955.

bangin my head weather AMD or Intel :/ RATS !!!
When will you put your Phenom II on sale?

mrcool63 said:
phenom II x4 925 and m4n68t-m.
You really really don't need to upgrade. Unless you are doing something really really CPU specific. Are you? You don't have to upgrade for gaming at least. Just look at my specs man, I am the one who really does need to upgrade but I am still getting by fine. Have to reduce a bit of settings though.

dude im running the adobe suite ie photoshop, premiere pro after effects. also avid composer sometimes. also conversion of videos.
so now tell me if i should wait:)

Well, you do not just decide to add a stepping (read architecture change) one week before your product release; this is a panic move from AMD.As much as i want to, I do not think it is going to live up.

mrcool63 said:
dude im running the adobe suite ie photoshop, premiere pro after effects. also avid composer sometimes. also conversion of videos.

so now tell me if i should wait:)
You can upgrade. If you think you will gain from additional cores you should probably wait, otherwise i5 2500K FTW :)

^^ If they had the performance numbers to beat Sandybridge, they would have definitely leaked the benches to get people to hold off from buying Sandybridge. Since they are still tweaking and trying to improve performance, they are keeping a tight hold on the performance figures I guess.

according to the guy,we will be impressed by the clock speed and competitive pricing...no mention of performance...

My 1.5 GHz Athlon XP is waiting to meet it's big brother. Sad that he has to wait for 2 more months. I highly doubt he would be alive to see his brother ripping apart Sandy's A**.

^^why does it have a cancer or somethin :rofl:?? I think BD is not gonna own sandy but perform on par with it, but i want it to own sandy though.:)

^^ worse than cancer. It switches off, if i plug in any USB device. AGP slot does not work. I also get to hear strange screeching sounds every now and then.

MD claims 80% of two full cores.

Each module has two sets of pipelines (the reason it shows up as two cores) Shares some upper end and the L2 cache. How the performance comes into play is how it will runs threads.

A module will not split up a single thread on both sets of pipelines. So a single thread will run with the full upperend and a set of pipelines and the whole 2mb. of L2 cache (which is a good thing).

But the question is how it will splits up threads. Take two threads, will it allocate the second thread to the same module and use the second set of pipelines (80% of two full cores) or will it send the thread to the second module (so it can use 100% resources of the upperend and L2) of both modules. The later would be better performance.

Say you have a 4 module running 4 threads, it would be better to run one thread on each module, then start using the other set of pipelines when thread 5/6/7 and so on kicks in.

If it just has one thread on a module. It gets to use the whole upperend a set of pipelines and the full L2 cache.

If it running two threads is has to share the Fetch/Decode/FP Scheduler and the L2. The L2 really doesnt matter that much though because each module has a full 2mb. of L2 cache.

Each set of pipelines has their own Integer scheduler/128 bit FMAC and L1 cache.

Thats the reason they say a module has the 80% preformance of two full cores when running two threads. But thats alot better then Intels Hyper Threading.

Back