Graphic Cards AMD Catalyst & nVidia Forceware driver updates

Re: AMD Catalyst 11.6 Released

Gannu said:
I prefer doing it from CCC's uninstall option. And what is so much to lol about it exactly?
THat you uninstall, then install, crude technique, when it's really as easy as install the new version directly.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

asingh said:
1. ATI creates the dump extract which just sits on your C: drive. This should be manually deleted while uninstalling (it does not auto do it) -- one should on their own.
Yes it does, and after installing the new driver, and restarting (not necessary if you don't want to delete the dump), you can just shift delete it.

Now trust me, this is the exact same procedure I have been using for 1.5 years over numerous OSes from XP to Vista to Win7 both x86 and x64, not once did I face a dll, BSOD or any other error whatsoever.

I only faced it when I used driver sweeper :p

^^

Well I did many times using direct over-lay. So choose to do it the way I have penned down. It all depends / varies people to people, and as per the machine response to the new driver. Again nothing is de facto or finite as an installation procedure.

I know people, who each time use Driver Sweeper. If not less, they have just as much experience as us all with drivers and ATI accelerators.

comp@ddict said:
THat you uninstall, then install, crude technique, when it's really as easy as install the new version directly.

And leave the older versions in the ATI folder? No thank you lol.

^ I use the same method as well. Uninstall, Restart, Install new set. I don't see what exactly is so crude about it. I used to do the overlay installations, but these days I prefer it doing the "crude" way. Just to make sure that older versions are gone. Now you can say that I might as well use Driver Sweeper, but I've noticed that CCC Uninstaller removes all the driver files properly (while leaving the custom created profiles perfectly fine), so I don't feel the need for Driver Sweeper.

Gannu said:
And leave the older versions in the ATI folder? No thank you lol.
You didn't read my whole post eh? CCC automatically removes and installs. Thats why I havn't faced any error yet. Else it would be

Oops, BSOD, oops BSOD

like that!!

Re: Recently released ATi Catalyst & nVidia Forceware drivers

hey if anyone used this please tellme so dat i will update my drivers

currently on 11.5

nick2012 said:
hey if anyone used this please tellme so dat i will update my drivers

currently on 11.5
Driver 11.6 is reporting good feedback. I cannot try it, since my cards are old. Give it a try. Worst to worst, you can always roll-back. :)

I'm try it but don't think it will solve the Refresh Rate problem.

Ati driver always sucks what ever the reason.....:mad:

Will Llano be needing a driver too? I was thinking it won't even need a driver since it is a part of the APU. It would be like installing a driver for the CPU. It is all there in the OS.

^^

Yea probably correct. Even if it does, it would not be the Radeon class.

EDIT:

The Llano is Radeon cores. There would be drivers. Since they can run in tandem with a discrete GPU.

SOmehow I have never been disappointed with an ATi Driver, call me blessed.

THere were one or two 10.xx drivers which weren't soo good in the tweaktown monthly driver review and I just avoided them, and one 11.x driver which I avoided (meaning, didn't bother to download).

Every driver has always otherwise been about either new featuers, improved performance, or stability and I'm damn happy.

Updated to 11.6, everything seems to be going pretty good. It also fixed the Photoshop bug when OpenGL drawing is enabled (documents opened in OpenGL enabled mode used to lag when zooming/panning). However, it seems that DAMMIT has stopped working on getting more juice out of 2D performance of these cards. Since past 10 releases the 2D/GDI performance has been almost the same. It hasn't increased. In fact, it's funny that my HD5770 performs exactly same as my brand new HD6950 when it comes to 2D/GDI performance. What's more funny is that my (now dead) HD3870 had better 2D/GDI performance. :p

Anyways, in terms of stability and 3D performance 11.6 seems to be just fine.... also, judging by CatalystCreator's tweet, 11.7 will be bringing some more bug-fixes. :D

@Revolution: What refresh rate problem you're having?

@baccilus: The drivers are for Llano's GPU, not CPU.... and it's nothing surprising. even Sandy Bridge's GPU requires drivers for functioning properly. Just because GPU is moved on the CPU die doesn't mean it can function properly without drivers.

A little off topic but will my current graphic card, HD4670, pair with a Llano desktop APU?

Update for E-350 APU users (Fusion) :-

[1] HP DM1z - Noticeable drop in random high cpu usage under idle state observed on upgrading to v.11.6 from v.11.5

[2] HP DM1z - Lower cpu usage when playing 1080p rips

[3] The new driver v. 11.6 offers slightly better performance in games as tested by me - Farcry and Call of Duty 2 (range 5-7 FPS)

The release notes are up.

I think I will give these a try for kicks. Been a year, since I updated.

Back