Graphic Cards AMD Catalyst & nVidia Forceware driver updates

Re: Recently released ATi Catalyst & nVidia Forceware drivers

Most probably the driver. ATI and Cry2 are just not getting along.

But Crysis(2007) and Mass Effect(2007) are already too old to have problems with drivers na?

why weren't they optimized further in 4 years of time? :confused:

I did some fiddling in CCC (11.4), now gta4, bfbc2 (@1024x800) runs in "fit to screen size" in my 1980x1080 screen.

I mean, previously it used show black bars around the monitor, gfx looked sharp, but now that 1024x800 resolution gets zoomed in to 1920x1080.

i used the "reset" button, factory default several times but to no avail. :(

now, i have enabled "GPU scaling" under My Digitals flat panels.

btw, my DELL st2210 has maximum refresh rate of 60Hz, but CCC shows max@ 75Hz

Also, ccc doesnt show the dell as monitor, but as HDTV

^^ I dont understand. You are running the game at 1024x800? and THen zooming it in the 1920x1080 monitor resolution? is that what you're doing?

no, i meant the 1024x800 resolution gets filled in whole screen.

when i was gaming few weeks ago, that resolution will stay in centre of the screen, with black bars all around.

but now, that small resolution gets filled in whole screen.

thats why the gfx looks very bad.

greyed out options

any help?

i dont want the game to fill the whole screen (1920x1080 - 21.5" lcd).

In XP, those options under "Image Scaling" are availabe, but in Win7 32bit its greyed out.

^because the gfx becomes very pixelated, ugly :D

try to use a 1024x800 resolution photo as wallpaper in a full hd monitor :p

I dont know what the hell i did which made the gfx go full screen, but now i'm thinking of re-installing windows (more than 8months old install) :( :-|

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sorry if i was not clear, see these pics, it'll make everything clear

see the zig zag lines of bridge.

these things were very sharp when running at actual scale of 1024x800,
but now it gets scaled up to 1080p resl. making everything look like that.

^ can to connect via DVI-sub and test if there is any re-scale issue for the resolution ;)

after lot of googling, got to this KB

GPU-68: Unable to set GPU Scaling option in ATI Catalystâ„¢ Control Center

Cause:
The issue can occur if:
A digital connection between the graphics card and output display device is not being used
The display’s native resolution is used
GPU-68: Unable to set GPU Scaling option in ATI Catalyst

whats the use of scaling when we cant use it in Native resnl. :-/
regarding DVI, is there any performane hit if a DVI-to- VGA converter is used?

& how much will a 1.5m DVI cable cost?

Catalyst 11.5b Hotfix released for better Crossfire optimizations in Brink and Witcher 2

Re: AMD Catalyst 11.6 Released

How do you guys update the driver , many sites recommend always using driver sweeper after removing the old driver but in win7 you also have to first disable the driver from automatically reinstalling through gpedit.msc , should i always use driver sweeper or only when there is any problem.

I uninstall it from the Control Panel's 'Programs and Features' option and install the newer version. Some recommend using driver sweeper whereas some others prefer going into safe mode and removing them. Another simpler option is from the installation of the newer driver itself wherein there's an option to uninstall the older version.

I found no harm in doing it the simpler way. Things have worked quite well by far.

Gannu said:
I uninstall it from the Control Panel's 'Programs and Features' option and install the newer version. Some recommend using driver sweeper whereas some others prefer going into safe mode and removing them. Another simpler option is from the installation of the newer driver itself wherein there's an option to uninstall the older version.

I found no harm in doing it the simpler way. Things have worked quite well by far.

LoL, you don't know then?

Catalyst has inbuilt this feature, you can install a newer version, no need to remove previous version, CCC install handles it all.

And don't tell me it will cause problems, I've been doing this since 1.5 years. Only one time I used Driver Sweeper, and it was an EPIC disaster.

No ReleaseNotes, I feel this one's for Llano.

comp@ddict said:
LoL, you don't know then?

Catalyst has inbuilt this feature, you can install a newer version, no need to remove previous version, CCC install handles it all.
I prefer doing it from CCC's uninstall option. And what is so much to lol about it exactly?

It is the proper load for all variants. Courtesy guru3d.com. Here is the link to all the versions. Release notes have been pulled off, for some reason.

Regarding installation options, this topic has been beaten to death on most forums. From what I glean and summarize:

1. Moving from nvidia to ATI : Preferably do a a clean OS install, and mount the drivers of your choice [YC].

2. Updating drivers : Uninstall the current driver, restart and make sure Windows recognizing the adapter as a generic PnP device. Not ATI. And then install drivers of YC.

3. Problems with drivers : Use the Driver Sweeper method. Create an RP before doing so.

Post installation one should always pull up the CCC interface so see the driver versions being reported and compare them to various sites which specialize in driver updates. Guru3d, Rage3D types. Do not cross reference using DxDiag (non WHQL issue) or GPU-Z (not updated to realize the latest builds).

Reasons why I do not overlay:

1. ATI creates the dump extract which just sits on your C: drive. This should be manually deleted while uninstalling (it does not auto do it) -- one should on their own.

2. I personally have faced a lot of problems of prior remnants (DLLs) being left behind (can verify checking file sizes) and drivers not responding.

3. Occasional BSOD after over lay methods.

It boils down to, what someone feels is a sure shot way to get the latest installed driver to kick in -- to the most optimized manner. Guess I am more finicky since I run XfireX. Also CAPs need to be updated frequently.

This new driver is good for Witcher 2.

Back