Laptops AMD Fusion laptop thread

comp@ddict said:
a bit too much. weren't fusion lappy's supposed to be 399$ ~ Rs. 18-20,000 range??

Well the lower price is for the base level configs. The lenovo starts at $399 for the single core config AFAIK. For the top end models, the hp dm1 with the E-350 processor costs $449 and the Lenovo costs ~500$. The Sony also costs $499. You can get an acer 10.1" netbook with the dual core 1 ghz processor for $330, though it comes with only 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD and Win 7 starter.
Mohit said:
The Indian one comes with 2GB and 320 GB instead of 4GB and 500GB? This is sad :(

Well the price is also lower accordingly. The US version costs $499. Usually that would cost > 30k. Here we get slightly lower specs for roughly 26k which is not bad really

As promised earlier-news from MSI---MSI will be launching its X370 with the AMD E-350 in March(possibly 3rd week). The MSI X series laptops could well be the ultimate poor man's Macbook air. Word from the MSI dealer I know, is, that MSI has announced its new generation X - slim series line up and there doesn't appear to be any intel core i based ULV based models in the lineup--just AMD fusion based laptops. The X-370 will come with 2 years of warranty from MSI,3gb ddr3,320gb hdd, E-350 and a 13.3 inch screen. Prices will be in the range of 23-25k for various configurations of the model.

^^How is MSI support though? I am worried about that. And won't Dell be launching any Fusion based netbooks anytime soon?

I can vouch for MSI support--Digilink--the guys who service gigabyte products as well. All the required numbers and email ids for MSI personnel have been posted in the Hardware Support contact list by me.

adder said:

Thanks for sharing that link. Its a nice review and the HP DM1Z looks solid. Battery life is also good. Only the LCD screen is a downer it seems.

God knows when are these netbooks coming to India though. I am eagerly waiting for the MSI X370 and HP DM1Z now. The Sony Vaio has been launched already but it makes sense to wait for a while for the other brands to launch their products and then make a buying decision.

I am just wondering if the battery life on the MSI X370 is affected because of the larger screen size :S

Is it right to categorize the devices based on the AMD fusion E-350 as netbooks? The C-50 @ 1.0Ghz is supposed to compete with Intel's Atom lineup which would mean that the more powerful E-350/E-240 based devices should be termed as ultraportables. Some of the scores in the reviews done by Engadget,Hothardware and Laptopmag clearly show that the difference between Intel Core 2 Duo ULV (su7300) is marginal and that translates to almost identical performance in real life usage. I believe the AMD Fusion E-350 can be categorized as an ultraportable and to call it a netbook would be derogatory to its capabilities.

sunny27 said:
As promised earlier-news from MSI---MSI will be launching its X370 with the AMD E-350 in March(possibly 3rd week). The MSI X series laptops could well be the ultimate poor man's Macbook air. Word from the MSI dealer I know, is, that MSI has announced its new generation X - slim series line up and there doesn't appear to be any intel core i based ULV based models in the lineup--just AMD fusion based laptops. The X-370 will come with 2 years of warranty from MSI,3gb ddr3,320gb hdd, E-350 and a 13.3 inch screen. Prices will be in the range of 23-25k for various configurations of the model.
sunny any update on this model launch...I am planning to buy similar laptop within a week or two...any chance that it may be launched this week :)

^

One question , i am planning to but Sony YB series Fusion based netbook. Can it play 1080p videos smoothly without lagging etc? Since older Atom based netbooks cant even handle 720p videos properly so just wanna b sure before buying it.

The AMD Fusion is more than capable of handling 1080p videos. Check reviews online and go through this thread for more details. I don't think the AMD fusion E-350 qualifies as a netbook -- it is an ultraportable. The netbook cpus from AMD are the Fusion C-50 and the E-240.

Back