CPU/Mobo AMD PII X2 555BE Or Athlon II X4 635?

siril_k

Adept
hi guys i am looking to buy a new amd cpu but have got really confused which one to buy.
my budget is 5k & config is Biostar a785ge board, gskill 2 gb ddr2 ram 8600 gt gfx card.
now i sorted out phenom II 550/555 BE & AthlonII X4 635/640 but still cud not decide on which one to select.
i mostly have loads of internet browser windows, live tv via pci tv tuner card, ms office documents at same time.
gaming is casual & mostly limited to dx 9/10 games at med settings.
overclocking is also mild maybe 15-20% OC on stocks.
I am considering to keep the config for atleast 1-1.5 yrs after which i wud be overhauling entire rig.

plz suggest me which cpu should i select among above 2 mentioned.

thanks

i have a 555 unlocked and overclocked to 3.6ghz at stock !

you know my vote :)

but x2 560 is gonna be there soon ! get that cz of much more success rate !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

btw 20% overclock is not mild :p

might just then wait for PII 560,
actually i had a unlock failed sempron 140 which i oced to 3.5 ghz almost 20-25% oc on 1.25v hence i thought its mild....

but what if unlocking 560/550/55 fails? is it on par with x4 ?

I'm using x4 635 and it has absolutely no problems running the amount of apps you state. Runs games without a problem for me too. I don't know about overclocking.

Get the Phenom II 555BE and unlock the 2 disabled cores. The 555BE can be overclocked easily since it is mulitplier unlocked. The 6 MB cache helps in non-gaming stuff.

Even though most people do not mention it, there is a certain amount risk involved in unlocking. The chances of a successful unlock is very very high, it seems over 80% judging by the no. of people who have reported a failed unlock. If you are going to unlock I highly recommend an after-market cooler, at least a cooler master hyper tx3 . My unlocked 555 BE would get too hot on stock cooler when running stress test, and the computer would automatically shut down when CPU temp reaches 62 degrees. However with Cooler master hyper 212 plus, I get < 55 degrees (the recommended temp for Phenom II) on prime 95 and torture test shows no errors after 12 hours ( I am running at 3.66 Ghz.). Note that you will lose temperature monitoring abilities when unlocking and you will have to rely on CPU temp, which is apparently 3-5 degrees more than the actual CPU core temperature. Use a software like the excellent speed fan and run a prime95 torture rest for 12 hours, and make sure CPU temp does not exceed 55 (just to be safe).

actaully the risk the risk of failed unlocking is holding my decision on whether to buy Athlon II x4 or stick with 2 core 555BE, does 6mb l3 make a huge performance difference?

also which cpu would have a better resale value Athlon II x4 or x2 555BE?

also what r multi-threaded apps? any general examples? is it true that the more number of cores more is the overall performance of the system?

Answers to above queries wuold really help me in selecting a better cpu...

thanks.

90% of the 560s unlock !

plus after unlock its loads better than 635 !

also its black ed.. that means easy overclock !

555 is awesome it undervolted ant overclocked giving me even lesser temps than stck volts at 2 cores !

what else do u need ? :)

^this what is even confusing me, should i go for 640/645 or 555/560 BE, unlocking bonus is what tempting me for BE's but the failure rates deter me....
yet to decide.. :(

any links for 560 BE Sale online?

ok i guess it will be x4 640/645, enough with my luck no more unlocking now also wont be investing in after market coolers so no OC too.

thanks guys...:)

@buzzingwizkid this is what even i am getting tempted for :eek:hyeah:, hence i am having sleepless nights since past 2 days......

Fair toss between X4 & 560, heads going with 560, tails buying an x4...may the luck prevail :)

Back