CPU/Mobo AMD Ryzen CPUs launched

Youtube 4K works fine but local HEVC/h.265 format playback is still choppy on my RX 460 GPU even though CPU utilisation is low and GPU supposedly has hardware decode capability for HEVC - I do have the latest AMD GPU drivers - I guess VLC player needs more optimising because I've seen MPC-HC player do better.

Gaming I can't say or compare since I haven't tried it for ages. But reading other people's comments online they say the extra cores/threads allow them to do full gaming and also live recording/streaming of the game on single Ryzen 7 CPU with no lag/stuttering it seems.

Chrome it seems newer releases will restrict background tabs' CPU consumption to around 1% only, so it may not make a difference with many tabs open in the near future. Hope other browsers follow suit.

@Lord Nemesis I know you had plans of upgrading your platform, which way are you leaning?

I am playing the waiting game. Ryzen platform is very buggy right now. To be honest, it looks like AMD rushed the launch before the motherboards are ready to hit the stores.

I am going to wait till the issues get resolved. My current 2500k system is pretty reliable and I presently have have no patience to replace it and deal with an unstable platform.

R5 clocks and TDPs look disappointing - highly likely these are salvaged/defective R7 parts.

I guess Zen was a good attempt by AMD but only to play catch-up - nothing earth shaking - but at least they are nearly on par with Intel (yeah kaby lake is still king of clocks and IPC) and can hopefully stay there in the next few years.

^^ Agreed. 40~50% IPC improvement may sound nice and dandy, but that is nothing outstanding when the company has been putting out crappy products for several years. At best, its a personal victory for AMD that they have come out of their cycle of self destruction and put out a decent product for a change. Still, at the end of the day, AMD doesn't hold an edge that is going to last a decent amount of time.

From everything I have seen and even by AMD's own account, Ryzen is competition for Broadwell-E. A two gen old arch which Intel itself is beating with their own newer architectures. A Kaby Lake matches the performance of a 6 core Broadwell-E with 4 cores. So, where is AMD going to stand when Intel starts releasing its own 6/8 core CPUs on one of the more recent architectures, Intel may have sold at high prices when there was no competition, but they definitely have the ability to aggressively price their offerings when they have competition.

Yep, it looks like even with Zen2 and Zen3 revisions AMD will be playing catch-up until at least 2020 assuming Intel follows through with newer revisions like Coffeelake/Cannonlake/whatever and at reasonable enough pricing.

They need to pull a rabbit out of a hat if they want to match or surpass Intel's tech.

Though, personally, at the end of the day I'm very happy with the R7 value proposition - not really regretting getting the 1700 for myself - even with current stability issues I'm facing - and I believe R7 will remain a good VFM option for at least a year down the road.

An FYI update while I'm still waiting/praying for new BIOS release ASAP to fix my RAM/stability issues.

AMD hinted on their community site that they would provide updates/fixes for memory performance issues around May. I guess they are talking about AGESA/microcode/BIOS updates. Got me concerned if the wait would be that long for fixing current RAM stability issues since I don't have/care about higher-speed RAM or doing OC.

But was reading reddit today where someone mentioned about new BIOS for the higher end ASUS mobo and in that thread this ASUS / OC expert guy "elmor" mentioned new AGESA (CPU microcode) would be coming in 1-2 weeks so I'm hoping it applies for all AM4 mobos!

Got them from ashirwad, SP road.
R7 1700 - 24000
B350 Gaming 3 - 8400
Ram - 10500
RX 480 - 18990
460x - 10500
Monitor - 21500

All prices exclude tax. Would say they were decent.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, you get RAM issues only if you use all 4 slots.

No, in my case the issue persists with my 16GB (8x2) kit using the two recommended slots, even tried single sticks in various slots and also moving the two sticks to the "secondary" slots, still no luck.

But yeah other people are facing issues with combinations of using all 4 slots but not while using just 2 slots.

Incidentally your RAM model is on my mobo supported list - but only will run at 2133 not the full 3000 for now. I see your RAM is *not* on your mobo supported list at this time - but hopefully no such issues for you.

Do keep us posted here about your build.

What do you intend to use this system for? Gaming? or other stuff as well? Yeah, prices seem decent.

Just for casual gaming. I hope things turn out well, but I don't mind running the RAM at lower clock speeds. I just hope these issues are fixable over time (via BIOS updates) and don't end up crippling the platform.

BTW, your board seems to have a new (beta) BIOS just released today/yesterday which mentions "improve memory compatibility" but more interestingly for me some "AGESA" (microcode) updates, so I'm hoping something similar is coming soon for my ASUS board too :D

nice observation. Should I try it out? Never updated BIOSes before.
The thing is, I have built the system for a friend, so I have it for 3-4 days. Don't want to brick shit.

Probably best not to try the BIOS, especially since it's beta, but you can update to the last stable version in case your board has older BIOS, or just leave it to your friend to deal with it :D

Got them from ashirwad, SP road.
R7 1700 - 24000
B350 Gaming 3 - 8400
Ram - 10500
RX 480 - 18990
460x - 10500
Monitor - 21500

All prices exclude tax. Would say they were decent.

Buddy what were the prices after tax.

It's annoying playing the waiting game.

Back