Has anyone faced this before?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

diffuser911

Disciple
Two days with a spanking new S2 and I managed to turn it into an expensive video player.

I purchased the piece from a colleague, who had got it from eBay USA, shipped from Switzerland. Now the guy says he doesn't like the phone and selling it within 2 days. I was sold and paid immediately, happy owner of the S2. It came with Gingerbread installed. Mistake #1: Did not check IMEI on phone and behind battery.

I flashed the Jelly Bean rom as instructed in http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...9100-official-android412-zslse-jelly-bean.htm. The phone is working perfectly normally, then I notice calls are not going through. Switching off, changing SIM, nothing helps. I am unable to connect to a network, even though the data network is working.

The long process of net research starts and I check the IMEI, now showing as 004999010640000, different from the one behind the battery. Further research brought up this XDA thread, which says it happens and can be fixed. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1264021&highlight=recovery IMEI

I started the process, rooting, following the steps to the dot, but nothing worked. I know now I have screwed up for good! I tried a few apps which do the same thing as the steps in the thread. The apps were GSII_Repair and kTool, but no avail. Samsung had already refused to work on the phone, saying it doesn't have warranty and that they phone is from outside India.

Next logic steps seem to be as below:
1. Go to local mobile shops and get IMEI repaired via software, hoping it helps.
2. Pay for an account in SRS at www.unlocksamsungonline.nl and hope it works.
3. Pay this guy at www.cvxcvx.pl and hope he can fix it.

Any other suggestion would be hugely welcome!

I can vouch for Option 3- seems the efs partition of your phone is corrupted. I happened to wipe out my Spica's efs partition and the IMEI showed 00000000. Showed it to the service center here- was told will require PCB replacement.Then it was restored by this guy Rafal at www.cvxcvx.pl.
You need to confirm with him

1) Is it international S2 aka GT-I9100 or some US variant?
2) Is is factory unlocked model or carrier locked?
3) If yes for 2, Was everything working fine before you flashed JB.

Which city are you in? Any good local Mobile repair shop can help you. In Mumbai there are few shops at Manish Market and ghatkopar that can fix it.

I can vouch for Option 3- seems the efs partition of your phone is corrupted. I happened to wipe out my Spica's efs partition and the IMEI showed 00000000. Showed it to the service center here- was told will require PCB replacement.Then it was restored by this guy Rafal at www.cvxcvx.pl.
You need to confirm with him
Thanks!! Sounds reassuring to hear a desi guy confirm the same.

1) Is it international S2 aka GT-I9100 or some US variant?
2) Is is factory unlocked model or carrier locked?
3) If yes for 2, Was everything working fine before you flashed JB.

1) I9100
2) Factory unlocked (as far as I can tell)
3) Yes, even for a few hours after JB update

Which city are you in? Any good local Mobile repair shop can help you. In Mumbai there are few shops at Manish Market and ghatkopar that can fix it.

I am in Bhubaneswar, checked with shops who claimed they can fix, but wanted to keep the cell for a day. I am a bit paranoid, specially when others are saying it is a 5-min task.

Checked with my colleague, he said *#06# was giving the correct IMEI when he looked it up on opening the box. Feeling like kicking myself on the behind for blindly following what I read online.

Thanks!! Sounds reassuring to hear a desi guy confirm the same.

1) I9100
2) Factory unlocked (as far as I can tell)
3) Yes, even for a few hours after JB update

An year ago, I was in a similar situation when a custom rom bug erased my IMEI to zero. After trying out some methods in xda the I somehow managed to get a generic imei 004999010640000.

Next day I took it to Samsung service and they changed the imei again to a different one, before restoring my original imei after a few weeks.

Samsung service is the cheapest way, if not free.

Check imei if it showing as null/null
No, its something as written in original post.

An year ago, I was in a similar situation when a custom rom bug erased my IMEI to zero. After trying out some methods in xda the I somehow managed to get a generic imei 004999010640000.

Next day I took it to Samsung service and they changed the imei again to a different one, before restoring my original imei after a few weeks.

Samsung service is the cheapest way, if not free.
My phone is from outside India, hence Samsung is refusing to work on it. I have now put a stock Samsung India GB rom, would that fool them to believe that the phone is India-made?

Go through the whole XDA thread that you posted in your OP. Try the various solutions there first.

I wouldn't give my phone to any shop for a full day, at least not in Bhubaneswar.

FINALLY!!! Got it fixed at Chandni Chowk market in Kolkata during a trip tomorrow. Guy fixes in half an hour when I said I have a train to catch (which I did!). Used a box and wrote back IMEI to phone.

Here's the number in case someone needs professional help:
L K Telecom 99035 69325 (Ladle), 14, Lenin Sarani, Kolkata
No more screwing around with this phone now!!!

I don't know if you ever visited xda but it's first step in any Samsung device to backup efs folder containing Imei if something happen in future just restore it back...

I don't know if you ever visited xda but it's first step in any Samsung device to backup efs folder containing Imei if something happen in future just restore it back...

Such instructions weren't there when the S2 was relatively new. People bricked their devices trying weird things. It's only because Samsung is supporting use of custom ROMs on its devices (or maybe on only S2) that the 3rd party developers could come up with solutions for their own problems.

Such instructions weren't there when the S2 was relatively new. People bricked their devices trying weird things. It's only because Samsung is supporting use of custom ROMs on its devices (or maybe on only S2) that the 3rd party developers could come up with solutions for their own problems.

yes but s2 is kinda two year old so anyone tinkering their phone with custom rom must know about it...

Guys - I am facing IMEI null issue with my LG Optimus G E970. Flashed stock and custom rom but still no success. I don't have EFS back-up.

Any help?

Back