Budget 10-15K Android phone for 10K-12K

1. Budget?
A: INR 10k-12k

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: Preferably HD+ and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 11 if possible

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G atleast

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No Xiaomi/Redmi, Oppo, Vivo

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Internet, multimedia, whatsapp, camera, UPI apps

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual SIM

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New

9. Any other requirements?
A: None as such

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: --

==================================================================

Hi all,

I am looking for an Android smartphone for my friend in the price range of 10-12K INR. Can extend budget to 500 Rs more if a phone has good features, like extra RAM/storage.

We decided not to go for Xiaomi/Redmi, Vivo, Oppo or the likes. So, I think the only options left are Samsung and Motorola.

Would consider Nokia phones, but at the given price range, their hardware is really sub par compared to others.

For Motorola too, I am not sure, because I am not confident about their regular OS/security updates. Can anyone having a Motorola phone comment if they provide timely OS/security updates? If they are providing timely updates, then I might consider them.

So, maybe this just leaves the Samsung phones. Please suggest a good quality phone which can last for atleast 2-3 years, or even beyond.
Samsung are providing timely updates and for 3 years I think, so that is really a plus point for their phones.

@Kaleen Bhaiya , please suggest Samsung phone with a good chipset, as I am really not familiar with them.

The usage would be as described above... internet, whatsapp, YouTube, multimedia, UPI, etc.

Samsung Galaxy M12, 6 GB RAM version looks promising to me.

Samsung M21 2021 version does seem good to me, but @becool773 posted this on the other thread, so am a little skeptical.

Anyone else has experience with the new Samsung M21 2021 version?

Becool's phone should be previous generation M21 since he had bought this phone prior to 26th July, 21, the launch date for NE.

Imo, M21 new edition(NE) would be your best bet given the budget. It ticks all the boxes except for the processor (still 9611 as previous generation). But given the usage pattern, it shouldn't be an issue. Do refer how to do a clean setup mentioned in becool's post.

If possible to spend extra 2k, get a 6/128 variant. Since the processor is same as old, having good ram will make experience somewhat better. On custom android's, they usually take 3gb ram(someone using Samsung phone can help me clarify), so you will be left with only 1gb ram on 4/64.

Also, I don't know if Samsung provides CA on budget phones for better speeds. Atleast B40-40 should be enabled to utilise Jio/Airtel net speeds.

iPwnz has already mentioned poor reviews about his Moto G5. Infact I doubt they will even update any phone from the price segment.

I am a lil curious about update and security policy for phones in this segment. If they are giving updates for 3+ years then that is definitely good news.

Overall, it's a good phone for 14.5k(6/128). Really surprised with samoled in this budget from Samsung.

Becool's phone should be previous generation M21 since he had bought this phone prior to 26th July, 21, the launch date for NE.

Imo, M21 new edition(NE) would be your best bet given the budget. It ticks all the boxes except for the processor (still 9611 as previous generation). But given the usage pattern, it shouldn't be an issue. Do refer how to do a clean setup mentioned in becool's post.

If possible to spend extra 2k, get a 6/128 variant. Since the processor is same as old, having good ram will make experience somewhat better. On custom android's, they usually take 3gb ram(someone using Samsung phone can help me clarify), so you will be left with only 1gb ram on 4/64.

Also, I don't know if Samsung provides CA on budget phones for better speeds. Atleast B40-40 should be enabled to utilise Jio/Airtel net speeds.

iPwnz has already mentioned poor reviews about his Moto G5. Infact I doubt they will even update any phone from the price segment.

I am a lil curious about update and security policy for phones in this segment. If they are giving updates for 3+ years then that is definitely good news.

Overall, it's a good phone for 14.5k(6/128). Really surprised with samoled in this budget from Samsung.
It is the 2021 version bro. It had a flat discount of Rs. 500 the day it was delivered. FML
BTW 4 people in my circle are using the "older" M21 which is working great. Also there is no difference between the two besides the little design change from the back.

Would you suggest any other Samsung phone? Because @becool773 has really generated doubts in my mind regarding this phone :joycat:
If any other person who is using Samsung M21 2021 edition can post their experience, then I will have some peace of mind LOL.

I don't think it will be possible, because it will really take the budget too far. Even the M12 for which I thought 6 GB version was costing less, that too is costing 13499/- , which is also a bit over budget. BTW, when I checked, only the white variant is having the 6 GB version currently.

LOL, this just went over my head.

Samsung seem to be providing updates for 3+ years, according to this thread:

And I recently came across some article too, where they were providing updates even faster than Google itself. That's why am giving preference to Samsung over Motorola.

Samsung have really picked up their game and have returned to mainstream segment giving competition to Chinese companies by providing good hardware for low price and also providing security updates for 4 years is really an added bonus. Nokia needs to learn from Samsung.

Would you suggest any other Samsung phone? Because @becool773 has really generated doubts in my mind regarding this phone :joycat:
If any other person who is using Samsung M21 2021 edition can post their experience, then I will have some peace of mind LOL.

I don't think it will be possible, because it will really take the budget too far. Even the M12 for which I thought 6 GB version was costing less, that too is costing 13499/- , which is also a bit over budget. BTW, when I checked, only the white variant is having the 6 GB version currently.

Samsung seem to be providing updates for 3+ years, according to this thread:

And I recently came across some article too, where they were providing updates even faster than Google itself. That's why am giving preference to Samsung over Motorola.

Samsung have really picked up their game and have returned to mainstream segment giving competition to Chinese companies by providing good hardware for low price and also providing security updates for 4 years is really an added bonus. Nokia needs to learn from Samsung.
I myself was not able to find a genuine review about the 2021 version anywhere. Maybe it was a bug in the initial units IDK. If I were you I would buy the 6+128 version, which will be an overkill considering your usage or find an honest review and then order the 4+64 version.

CA is career aggregation, leave it.

Would you suggest any other Samsung phone?
For the budget, there ain't much options. I would have suggested M52 but that's way above the limit.
Going through specs sheets for 850(M12) and 9611(M21), the only advantage for 850 is, its a 8nm chip, so a little better battery. The biggest downside I feel is the weight of M12. Trust me, I use poco X3 which weighs 225gms and I would never, ever recommend anyone to get a phone which weighs above 200gms. It is definitely a two-hand phone(more so because of the weight) and because you will add a case(I assume), weight will go beyond 230 gms. Unless your friend has a big palm or can manage heavy objects for long duration, that would be a big No.
Also 860(M12) is a new Soc, so feedback will be available only after few months. But the specsheet doesn't inspire much confidence it will be better than 9611. As @becool773 mentioned, his friends have used M21 and they have had a better experience. So I would say to go for M21. Also, M12 has emmc(like our 7+) so it will get slow with time, while M21 has UFS 2.1 so it will be snappier. Ensure proper setup of the phone to avoid unnecessary junk apps which will add strain on the phone.

I think M21 2021(4/64) should be your best buy considering the price limit. Still you will have to manage 1k more :tongueclosed: but you are getting an samoled screen, faster memory(ufs 2.1), 4k recording, decent camera. Bas dost ko kaise toh 1k ke liye manale. Phone might be a little slow after sometime, but if properly maintained it shouldn't be an issue.

I was talking about carrier aggregation(CA) used by phones to get good internet speeds. Have you seen 4g+ on your 7+? That is CA.
And I recently came across some article too, where they were providing updates even faster than Google itself.
I think that was for flagship level phones. Google kathaiye apni naak Samsung se nahi katwaega. :p

Thanks a lot @Kaleen Bhaiya , that's quite a detailed explanation. Should go for M21 then, 2021 edition.
I always debloat any new phone as much as possible, so I will do that with this one too.

My friend does have big hands and can handle a heavy phone, but considering other factors you mentioned, M21 should be the better option in the long run.
I think 1K extra can be managed.

How are the A and F series phones of Samsung? Are they better than M series? I did see Samsung Galaxy A12 and F22 phones in the given price range on Amazon.

I was talking about carrier aggregation(CA) used by phones to get good internet speeds. Have you seen 4g+ on your 7+? That is CA.

I think I might have seen 4G+ on some occasions, but only rarely, on my Nokia 7 Plus. I have Idea(now Vi) SIM btw, and the network is sometimes very sketchy. Sometimes, it shows H+, and the speed then drops quite a bit, and sometimes it will show E+, and then the speed just crawls, or nothing happens. I have to wait for it to turn back to 4G.

I think that was for flagship level phones. Google kathaiye apni naak Samsung se nahi katwaega. :p

LOL, in case I come across that article again, I will surely share it here :D.

How are the A and F series phones of Samsung? Are they better than M series? I did see Samsung Galaxy A12 and F22 phones in the given price range on Amazon.
F22 has a MTK G-80 chip which is good(I used it with Poco M2) but can't compare with 9611 since I don't have Samsung phone. But G80 is good if you are doing heavy tasks like lot of multi-taking, games etc. For the use case mentioned I think 9611 is a better choice. Also F22 has HD+ screen for display but FHD for content viewing(which is wierd if you ask me. The display is capable, Samsung just didn't give it) comared to M21 2021 which is FHD, display and content viewing.

The A-12 seems to be a budget based phone. It has hd+ screen, either an unnamed Soc or 850(also lower than 9611), so won't make sense if going to spend 13-14k and getting an inferior phone spec-wise.

I really cannot say. The fact is all these Samsung made SoC's can support CA, they need to enable it. For which device they enable is completely upto them.
As a general observation, phones higher than ₹20k should support CA. But if Xiaomi, Poco, Redmi phones can give intra-band CA for 10-15k phones, then I don't see why Samsung cannot do the same, atleast they can give intra-band CA.

Back