android phone for ~20k

amar7

Disciple
hello,

I need an android phone (for android apps development) within ~20k. Please suggest me one.

I am very much interested in the HTC Hero (getting a new one from ebay @ ~19k )

thanks

Surely you would love to develop for the new Froyo right? Like desiibond suggests, get a Legend or still better, wait and get a desire with froyo.
the extra 4-5k would be worth it.

thanks a lot for the replies!!

I don't have any rush to make the purchase. And I really want the desire. Do you have any idea about when it is getting launched in India and its price? Where can i get these phones in Bangalore with cheapest rate (with bill)??

I know a shop in Sukh sagar mall (in majestic), ground floor, few shops away from the main gate, left side (they have huge LCD TVs, iPods, iPhones, etc). Do you want to give any comment on the shop?

If I wait, is there any any chance for getting at lower prices ?

Also I have to purchase a mac mini (~33k, for running XCODE). Where can I get in bangalore?

thanks!

I would say, go for Nexus One if you are into app development as this is one phone that gets updates much earlier than others and it certainly helps to bring app compatiblity to new platform as soon as possible.

Also, better stick to phones that come without custom UI like samsung spica, moto milestone etc.

thanks for the tip, but I will also use this phone for regular use. I have checked the UI and all in it, they have given 2 categories of apps, htc and native android. So it wont be a problem to install and test.

I am little towards legend because of its looks, the main difference between desire and legend is desire is having 1 GHz processor speed and a little larger screen. But, android 2.2 has done a lot of optimization, and its almost 5x faster then 2.1, so I think I wont face any performance problem in legend (with 600MHz).

its also in my budget, and the desire/nexus one is more than my budget.

However i'll wait for the legend (with android 2.2) hit the market.

or, if i purchase the legend now (with 2.1), is there any way to make it 2.2 from the net?

thanks

desiibond said:
I would say, go for Nexus One if you are into app development as this is one phone that gets updates much earlier than others and it certainly helps to bring app compatiblity to new platform as soon as possible.

Also, better stick to phones that come without custom UI like samsung spica, moto milestone etc.
Milestone does not come with Motoblur, its 100% stock android. Droid came with Blur, not Milestone.

@OP
If development is a priority Nexus will make more sense as others have suggested.
But it will be way over your budget if buying new. The second hand floating in grey market here were in unacceptable condition cosmetically. And spending 23-24k on second hand N1 that is in bad physical condition is big no no.

Desire should launch here this month around 30-33k range.

Legend and milestone are closest to your budget. If you ask me, I would take Milestone. But make sure you check it out first. Its not exactly light and small phone like legend.

^yeah, i read it wrong, but Spica comes with custom launcher and UI ;)

That shouldnt discourage anyone to be honest. But Open / google branded phone just get the updates faster.

If anyone goes for HTC, he can be rest assured that they will continue to receive support ( officially as well as unofficially ) long after device is EOLed.

Same goes for Google branded device.

Nexus One's case is little different as its completely stock Android phone, Source is and will be made available sooner than any other device for future OS updates. Thats why it still is better choice for devs.

It also receives more attention from dev community. Cyanogen has made it very clear that he will be officially supporting only Nexus and Droid ( no spica or milestone).

Though there will be others who will port it to other devices.

hi guys! thanks again for the replies.

You people are forcing me to think about the nexus one phones!! and development is 50% priority and style & daily usage is other 50% priority.

I am only in favor of HTC an nexus one phones, and not with motorola and samsung..

And plz plz plz tell me the prices

regards

Go for HTC Legend.. Got it last week for Rs 22750/- Almost everyone is drooling over it.. And loads of apps as well..

I was thinking of waiting for the desire, but got the Legend because of its lesser price and style though desire has higher juice and bigger screen.. And also thanks to desiibond for his help.. This phone rocks!

amar7 said:

You people are forcing me to think about the nexus one phones!! and development is 50% priority and style & daily usage is other 50% priority.

I am only in favor of HTC an nexus one phones, and not with motorola and samsung..

regards

amar7 said:

regards
Legend : 22.7k

Nexus One : 31k (unoffiical through ebay)

Samsung Galaxy S : 31k (officially released now) (a superb phone with stunning design and powerful hardware, now officially the best android phone. Also, source is released to developers, so, expect lot of custom ROMs)

HTC Desire : no idea.

IMO for Android app development I think you should go for the Nexus One (if you can afford it), as that is becoming a sort of standard reference for Android.

If your app runs without major issues on the N1 and has issues on another phone (HTC / Motorola etc.) the issue would be due to their specific handset.

On the other hand, just because it is a prob with the handset implementation does not necessarily mean that the manufacturer would fix it (that I guess would depend on how important they deem the problem to be).

Ref: http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/06/09/iphone-now-as-fragmented-as-android/

desiibond said:
Samsung Galaxy S : 31k (officially released now) (a superb phone with stunning design and powerful hardware, now officially the best android phone. Also, source is released to developers, so, expect lot of custom ROMs)

Is that the official price in India or converted price ??

Back