android phone for ~20k

amar7

Disciple
hello,

I need an android phone (for android apps development) within ~20k. Please suggest me one.

I am very much interested in the HTC Hero (getting a new one from ebay @ ~19k )

thanks

amar7 said:
thanks.. btw from where did you bought and how much did you paid?

Dealer quoted price was 11.9k. I resold my old SE phone for 1.8k, so got Galaxy 3 for 10.1k! :)

desiibond said:
Those who get the Galaxy 3 as their first smartphone may go ga-ga, but trust me, it's a really weak phone, especialy when compared with phones like X6, wave.

Weak compared to X6? X6 has 434 MHz processor and 128 MB RAM while Galaxy 3 has 667 MHz processor with 256 MB RAM. Unless your definition of "weak" means only higher resolution, there is no need to spread such mis-information.

Galaxy 3 IS weak compared to Wave hardware-wise, but then Wave is only a multimedia phone with pathetic app support. Overall, for people looking for a SMARTPHONE under 15k, nothing can beat Galaxy 3. Legend costs almost double than Galaxy 3 and apart from 3D games, there is nothing Galaxy 3 cannot do compared to Legend.

I also rooted my Galaxy 3 today, installed Superuse apps alongwith Live wallpapers! :)

Thank you amar7 and desiibond for your suggestions.

@amar7
I have an iPad so not really looking for another tablet like the Streak or the Tab. I have a blackberry 8520 but am kind of frustrated with its multimedia features and the browsing experience (Most crappy browser on any smart phone I guess). If the Galaxy S is availabe for 25K I guess I will have to extend my budget. Otherwise what other options do I have in that range? My requirements like previously mentioned is browsing (tech forums, shopping sites/blogs /streaming video sites) / multiple push email configuration like blackberrys/ ebook reading / good music player.

@desiibond
I am considering the Milestone but would like to know if it is getting the Froyo update. I need a phone with 2.2. How is the browser on the milestone? Will it suite my requirements. Please advise...

And thanks again

Thanks teja92

I guess Legend and Aria is out of contention. So its a toss up between the Milestone and Galaxy S. For my requirements do you think I should shell out the extra 4K-5K or something for the Galaxy?

lubu said:
Thank you amar7 and desiibond for your suggestions.

@amar7

I have an iPad so not really looking for another tablet like the Streak or the Tab. I have a blackberry 8520 but am kind of frustrated with its multimedia features and the browsing experience (Most crappy browser on any smart phone I guess). If the Galaxy S is availabe for 25K I guess I will have to extend my budget. Otherwise what other options do I have in that range? My requirements like previously mentioned is browsing (tech forums, shopping sites/blogs /streaming video sites) / multiple push email configuration like blackberrys/ ebook reading / good music player.

@desiibond

I am considering the Milestone but would like to know if it is getting the Froyo update. I need a phone with 2.2. How is the browser on the milestone? Will it suite my requirements. Please advise...

And thanks again
Given your requirement, go for mobile with 3.5" atleast. SGS and Milestone fit well for your requirements. Samsung has confirmed that SGS will be getting Froyo by end of October. Motorola Milestone in India may get Froyo by October or atleast by the end of this year. Given that it runs unmodified UI, you can download Froyo ROM from xda and instll it on Milestone (Samsung's unofficial ROMs are easier to install).

Best way for you to decide is to go to store and try them both. h/w wise SGS is much better than Milestone. see if you can extend your budget a bit.

Thank you desiibond.

How difficult is it to install the Froyo ROM on the milestone? If anything goes wrong can it be rolled back without voiding the warranty? The problem is most of the stores have the dummy pieces and comparing is difficult without the live sets. How much would the SGS cost in Bangalore?

lubu said:
Thank you desiibond.

How difficult is it to install the Froyo ROM on the milestone? If anything goes wrong can it be rolled back without voiding the warranty? The problem is most of the stores have the dummy pieces and comparing is difficult without the live sets. How much would the SGS cost in Bangalore?

Last time I checked, SGS was around 26k. Before doing the cooked ROM install, you can take complete backup of your phone's ROM using tools like nandroid backup. If anything goes wrong, just restore the original ROM.

Do remember that your phone need to be rooted to use nandroid.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Howto:_Nandroid_Backup

With your suggestions I am more leaning towards the Milestone now as I will save on around 5K. Also I like having a full QWERTY keyboard for texting/emails. How is the browsing experience on the milestone? Will I be able to watch HD videos from sites like youtube?

Thanks again..Apologies for asking so many questions

Galaxy is Just fine......
Its Build quality is not good(5/10) and no flash
Otherwise its fine
Milestone has superior build quality
BTW flashing a ROM is quite easy
Just see walkthroughs and follow the Instructions properly......

Cool...Thanks teja92/desiibond.

Think I'll go for the Milestone...Will get it once I get my salary and post reviews/pics here...

Of course will start bugging you guys again with question and guidance when I do the Froyo update thingy

BTW will youtube work on Eclair/Milestone?

lubu said:
Cool...Thanks teja92/desiibond.

Think I'll go for the Milestone...Will get it once I get my salary and post reviews/pics here...

Of course will start bugging you guys again with question and guidance when I do the Froyo update thingy

BTW will youtube work on Eclair/Milestone?
Youtube app is part of google apps that come pre-installed in android devices. happy to help :)

Looks like its still not certain whether the milestone is officially getting the Froyo...

I got the below response for my query

Subject

Milestone Android 2.2 Update

Discussion Thread
Response 27/09/2010 02.42 PM
Dear

Thank you for writing us at Motorola Customer Care.

With reference to your mail regarding Motorola Milestone, we would like to inform you that as of now we do not have any information regarding availability of Android upgraded version 2.2 for this handset. However, you can activate an option of system updates from below mentioned steps:

Application Tray > Settings > About Phone > System Updates

You may also alternatively call us direct at the following number:

1800-3000-4343 (Toll free from all Networks)

Warm Regards,
Motorola Customer Care - India

lubu said:
Looks like its still not certain whether the milestone is officially getting the Froyo...

I got the below response for my query

I got a Milestone and battery life is good .. especially among the Android phones

and Motorola Milestone India Froyo will come Q1 11. This has been confirmed several times Motorola India

MILESTONE (Rest of Asia-Pacific) Initial rollout of upgrade to Android 2.2 planned for Q1 2011
https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Back