android phone for ~20k

amar7

Disciple
hello,

I need an android phone (for android apps development) within ~20k. Please suggest me one.

I am very much interested in the HTC Hero (getting a new one from ebay @ ~19k )

thanks

phoneshop.in sells it for 25k :eek:

3G Mobile phone - 3G, 3G Mobile, 3G Phone, Search cheap 3G mobile

At that price its THE most VFM phone out there... Is that price real ?

EDIT: Even weirder pricing is:

Device Details -- Nokia 7020

costs 3k here:

3G Mobile phone - 3G, 3G Mobile, 3G Phone, Search cheap 3G mobile

:S

EDIT2: X6 costs 29k there

http://www.phoneshop.in/phone_details.php?id=39

I think the store guys are either dumb or its a crappily kept website and we need to go elsewhere for prices...

wow! 1GHz samsung for 25 k!! awesome :) the android phones are getting launched like anything! if I wait for about 2-3 months more, i'll get a really nice device :)

@cooldude_007

I don't know anything about other brands, but you can get a HTC tattoo at 13k from ebay

and HTC hero for ~19k from ebay

WHY ???? :(

have you seen the galaxy S videos in youtube ?? It have 8 MC camera, 4" super AMOLED screen, 1Ghz processor. its so thin!! these features are driving me crazy.. totally confused. I started with a budget of 19k.. Now I am after Galaxy S. Working very hard to earn the amount ...... :)

well i like the body of legend !

its so amazing :)

well galaxy is nice but if budget is not a problem with you :p

also some tech reviews suggested that legend is the only phone in the market which has screen as sensitive as the iphone ! :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

also i dont like samsung phones !

I met a couple of Samsung folks today and had a chance to briefly play with Galaxy S.
The hardware is superb and screen is gorgeous. To cap it all, the phone is very light. Only downside, the body is not as good as that of Legend. For 25K (if you can get it) the phone is definitely a steal.

Hi folks! I opened this thread and was searching an android phone with a budget of 20-23k :) So, finally after a few months I bought an android :) Actually bought it last week but didn't got time to write here..

So, wanna know which one I bought? ha ha.. its galaxy 3 (GT-i5801) !!!

I bought this from Sukh-Sagar mall (majestic, Bangalore) paid 11,333 + tax + screen-guard = 12,000 (with bill and Manufacturer warranty) :) I can't even imagine all these features can come for such a low price!

I did a lot of research before purchasing.. The HTC legend have the similar config (almost everything is lesser except the 5MP camera). Before i was planning for the legend just for its looks, but the galaxy 3 is also NOT bad! its not like all the other corby phones, in fact it looks awesome!!
So, here is my review for galaxy 3 (GT-i5801) {from an android-developers point of view} :-

First, i want to tell my requirements (bcoz it differs from person to person, some wants music, some want movies, some wants good battery, etc etc). I wanted a phone which will easily notify me about e-mails and gTalk. Most of my clients want want to speak with me about the problem/doubts/requirements of any app/program. And since I spend 7 hrs in college(i'm a student), its not possible to sit all the time in front of my desktop ;)

So i had to buy a smartphone.. I thought about netbooks too, but i finalized a smartphone (because of is size). its not possible to use a netbook in the class for chatting with my clients!! :hap5:

the galaxy 3 is packed with android 2.1 and a 2.2 update will be coming soon.. :) it have all sort of multitouch functionality like zooming in web-pages and pdf files :)

it have google talk client and also gmail in built!! when i receive any mail or somebody pings me in gTalk, the phone notifies me in the same way it notifies for new message or call !! (it might be a common feature in all smart phones, but since i am migrating from nokia1110 -> nokia2730 -> Galaxy3, its feature is amazing!!! )

when i gave my gmail ID and password (which i did only ONCE), the whole cell automatically synchronized itself with me gTalk friends! when i see my contacts, i see "send email", "call", "send message" AUTOMATICALLY !! when i add a new number to my cell contacts, my gTalk contact details gets updated automatically!!! i was just amazed!!

The battery is amazingly powerful tough it takes a lot of time to charge :(

The music and the headphone are awesome!!

It has got full in built google-maps support and free GPS :) and very simple to use. Open the Navigation app, and it will ask for TO and FROM address (the FROM text box will be pre-filled with your current location !!) and then it shows the routes (car, bus, walk). it will also be plotted on the map :) I never used GPS in a cell, but tried and using it because its free ;)

the camera is 3.2 MP, but pretty decent, at-least for this price range..

the touchscreen is awesome!! infact i think all the samsung capacitive are awesome :)

the only demerit (but negligible) is the screen resolution!! the galaxy S super AMOLED is far better than this.. anyway I shouldn't compare that because both are in different price range. Though all the other features are exactly same in both.

galaxy3 is equipped with Swype. i enabled it once. but you have to spend time to learn that. its also loaded with touchWIZ.

the speed is also good, no lagging.. But when i installed facebook, and some other stuff, it showed a little lag, but you will hardly notice it (it only happens when opening CONTACTS). But The phone runs smooth when you open gmail, gtalk and other apps. At-lest till now... :)

In short, there are all the features of an smartphone(as far as i know).. I am really happy to use this phone :)

CONCLUSION: The is the best android phone for the 15k range. its biggest competition is HTC legend (according to hardware specs) which is ~10k costlier than this phone. If you are planning to buy desire, legend, hero, tatto, or even galaxy S, remember that the features are 98% SAME in all these. Only the higher priced phones are having better camera and screen-size, tats it. the galaxy S has got 5 MP can and 4" screen with super AMOLED. but I don't think its a good idea to spend 14k more just for a bigger and super AMOLED screen and a better camera. In-fact i am planning to buy a pana fz35 digi-cam with the money i saved :)

Finally, if you want a smartphone phone with all the common features and you don't care much about the cam and screen-size(though it has 3.2", and bigger sized are tougher to hold sometimes if your palm is little smaller :eek:hyeah:), then this is the best phone. I am talking about all the smartphones out thre, not only android.

The way android integrates with the web is awesome :) and the android market is also there :) with 1000s of FREE apps..

But Android IS little bit tougher to use if you are not from a computer / corporate background :p

Some says that "Andriod is for people with brains":bleh:

thanks

Congrats on your new purchase Amar! I also have Galaxy 3 (i5801) and truly, its the BEST smartphone to have under 15k budget. Better than even Wave if you want Android. The low resolution complain that is often hurled at Galaxy 3 is exaggerated. Everything looks good on screen in practice...Of course you cant compare it to 22K+ devices. HTC Wildfire is its direct competitor but has even lower QVGA resolution, which restricts some apps on Android market. It offers 5 MP camera but costs 3K more..

For a budget of around 12k, Galaxy 3 gives you Android 2.1 (upgradeable to 2.2), 3.2 MP camera, built in Swype and Think free office, GPS, WiFi, All share, FM and more! Also offers great music quality and out-of-the-box DivX / XviD support.. Not to mention hundreds of thousands of ultra cool apps on Android Market! Its been 10 days since the purchase I couldn't be happier...

yes! the exact same feeling I have!!! this phone is awesome :) Can't imagine anything better than this ;) I take my ebooks and read those during the class ;) . it has some cool feature for ebook reading like "positive view", "negative view" and "reading mode". these are really really helpful to read ebooks!! i am loving this :)

thanks.. btw from where did you bought and how much did you paid?

Congrats on your new purchase...

I am looking for an Android phone in the 20-22K bracket.

@OP did you check the prices for Galaxy S at Sukh Sagar? How about the other models?

My primary requirement is a big screen for browsing. Also push email. BTW can one configure multiple gmail accounts on these androids?

I was considering the Legend or Milestone but my decision to buy any would mostly depend on the device getting the froyo update.

Please advise....

i think the price of galaxy S is 25K, nut not sure.

if you want bigger screen, get galaxy S (~4 inch)! or if you are happy with 3.2, then galaxy 3 is the best :) There are HTC phones, but i think they are overpriced. If you ONLY want to browse net, then try dell streak or galaxy tab (both are with huge screens).. But remember one thing, all the website are 900-1000px wide. even if you buy a dell streak, you have to pinch and zoom-in. there are sites which are mobile friendly, but they will be rendered properly even if you are using 3.2 inch screen.

And yes, you can have multiple gmail accounts or any account :)

thanks

lubu said:
Congrats on your new purchase...

I am looking for an Android phone in the 20-22K bracket.

@OP did you check the prices for Galaxy S at Sukh Sagar? How about the other models?

My primary requirement is a big screen for browsing. Also push email. BTW can one configure multiple gmail accounts on these androids?

I was considering the Legend or Milestone but my decision to buy any would mostly depend on the device getting the froyo update.

Please advise....
Please please please stay away from all the sub-20k androids. Those who get the Galaxy 3 as their first smartphone may go ga-ga, but trust me, it's a really weak phone, especialy when compared with phones like X6, wave. Get Legend at-least but I prefer Milestone over Legend (if you are okay with Motorola devices).

any android device with 2.1 or higher android version allow multiple gmail accounts.

well i agree with desibond. if you have money to spend, then go for higher end phones with 1GHz processors and high RAM... What I think is that, there are no phones available for 12k better than galaxy-3. all the other phones mentioned here are ~10k more.

For your convince i have done a head to head comparison though all the phones belongs to different price range..

Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 vs. HTC Legend - GSMArena.com

Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 vs. HTC Desire - GSMArena.com

But before spending a lot of money for a powerful phone, you should know what are exactly your requirements. Do you want to play 3D games? Do you want to watch HD movies? or simply browse net, read ebooks and make calls, test small hand-made apps ..

thanks

Back