Android Phone under 11k

preet27

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?
A: 11k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Best display possible under this budget

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: Only established companies like Samsung HTC etc.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: ONLY Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: ALL

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Music, internet, GPS, gaming, occasional photography, High speaker noise

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require Dual SIM

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Was thinking about Samsung Ace s5830i

After all the 24X7 reading, searching and everything I think your first recommendation of Huwaei G300 seemed to be the best bang for the buck at that price point and I think I am going to buy that one, ebay doesn't seem to have the G300 upforsale so I wanted to confirm whether BuyThePrice is a good and reliable place to buy from ??

Flipkart has the same set at a very high price of 10,400 !!!

I don't think my requirements are too much, I am even ready to compromise on the price point, Display is important, and multimedia as well but I am not asking for a 4G phone, high end processor or RAM, or a very very high performance camera, or a Dual Sim etc, I am sure there might be other options as well.

It's probably my fault, but I am not in tune with the current mobile market so I wanted to check out all the possibilities throughly before going ahead with the purchase.
Xperia Sola? Same as the Xperia U but with expandable memory and bigger screen?

What are your views on Xperia Sola DarkAngel Bro ?? Also whats with this Seller warranty and servepro warranty .... This is all so confusing Makes me really jittery buying anything online ...

After all the 24X7 reading, searching and everything I think your first recommendation of Huwaei G300 seemed to be the best bang for the buck at that price point and I think I am going to buy that one, ebay doesn't seem to have the G300 upforsale so I wanted to confirm whether BuyThePrice is a good and reliable place to buy from ??

Flipkart has the same set at a very high price of 10,400 !!!

Yes, BTP is pretty reliable. Though I havent bought costly item I have purchased a Belkin spike buster for Rs.400 and was shipped in 24 hours. The product was shipped from hyderabad.
Among the reliable sites BTP has the cheapest price for the G300.

If you are comfy with infibeam you can get it from there for ~9.5k using 5% off coupon 'Green2012'
http://www.infibeam.com/Mobiles/i-H...i-Ascend-G300-Watch-Offer.html?id=DarkTarnish

Not worth the price. Do check the previous post in the same thread.
http://www.techenclave.com/mobile-phone-buying-advice/android-phone-under-11k-140300/#post1736143

Okay so bought Huwaei Ascend G300 from infibeam while using the GREEN2012 coupon + opted for Cash on Delivery option.

Are there any tips that might be useful for first time Smartphone user ????

Okay so bought Huwaei Ascend G300 from infibeam while using the GREEN2012 coupon + opted for Cash on Delivery option.

Are there any tips that might be useful for first time Smartphone user ????

Well if you are prepaid user and using facebook /e-mail sync then make sure you recharge data every month without fail. Otherwise you might lose a lot of balance in a single day since the companies usually charge Rs.10 or more for just 1MB of data if you don't have a data plan.

Other than that nothing much. If the default video player is not good then download the MX player and the ARMv7 codec. Other than that go through the essential android apps articles in the internet or the mobile phones section of the forum.

^ I also saw that but they are not offering manufactures warranty, it is something like servopro warranty or 6 month seller warranty, which only cover software and not hardware.

I really didn't get all these different kinds of warranty, plus after a lot of searching and reading around the net for the past 48 hours, there is no other phone which gives the same bang for buck than G300, and it's looks are quite good as well, and Huwaei isn't a run of the mill company like many others in the market, it has a service centre right in my sector where I live, so every way I look G300 looks to fit most of my needs, Xperia U fell short in quite a few spheres for me.

Also DarkAngel Bro thanks for the tips and your valuable suggestions, which helped me in selecting the best mobile for my budget and requirements !!!

^ Do Post your experience with It Bro.

Yes sure Bro, will certainly do so, as I have just got the handset today evening, but from what I have been reading over the various Tech forums for the past week or so, there is no other VFM option for a sub 10K budget, and I am not talking about review sites reviews, I am talking about reviews given by people who have owned this phone and have given their own personal views, much like you and me, regular peeps.

Looks wise it is a very attractive phone, the display is although a fingerprint magnet, but the display size is awesome, also it feels quite sturdy and well built, and you can see youtube video for scratch test of G300 which has Gorilla glass.

Will let you know about the rest after a couple of days !!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me zeroin on my new phone, especially DarkAngel Bro, you are a great asset to this site !!!

Congrats on the purchase. Do buy a scratch/screenguard for it. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. If you keep the phone in the same pockets where you have coins and keys, you are bound to have scratches on it.

Okay so review after almost 24 hours of Owning the G300, the phone is very easy on the eyes, display wise, the big 4" screen is great to look and work at, as this is my first smartphone, so I won't be able to go into very tech savy details, so I am just posting my first hand experience, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Firstly I could not find a shortcut to putting my phone into silent mode, the only quickest way i have been able to find is to create a shortcut for settings and then 2 - 3 screen later you get the option to put the phone into silent mode or to take it out from one, i find this very irritating, as I happen to use this feature a lot

Secondly tried games like angry birds, Cut the rope, Where's my Water, Racing moto and each one of these were running very smoothly, felt no input lag whatsoever

Thirdly the speaker is quite loud, well loud enough for me i would say.

Fourthly the still camera is very nice, but Video recording wasn't that impressive.

Fifthly, it weighs in at ~140g, so it is a little bit on the heavier side of things

Sixthly, the touchscreen function is very smooth and to me feels very fast and responsive, i don't know but some reviews said otherwise, but then i haven't tried a lot of touchscreen phones before this, so i might be wrong here.

Seventh point - the battery life is very nice, I have been continuously gaming or doing something else on the phone since 8 in the morning, as it is still only half way through and it only took it 2 hours to charge it up fully, so I think it's quite a lot by my requirements, as I am not a very heavy user.

So thats it for today, will let everyone interested know about whatever else I find out, as i find it out. Overall very happy with the purchase.

Regards !!

^ Good short review :)

For the volume mode issue, install Power Toggles from the market. It will take care of your problem with you being able to toggle through the Silent, Vibrate and Ringing modes through a single touch.

^ Good short review :)

For the volume mode issue, install Power Toggles from the market. It will take care of your problem with you being able to toggle through the Silent, Vibrate and Ringing modes through a single touch.

Hey thanks Bro for helping me out with my biggest gripe so far, will try this power toggles widget and see how it goes, also I had already ordered a scratch guard + TPU soft cover for Huawei G300 even before it had arrived, I hope it will be reaching me in a few days.

Another update about my experience with G300 so far.

The battery life is quite apt for an average user like me, but for a very heavy user, it might not be that adequate, for continuous usage, like playing games etc for hours together, the battery does not last for more than 5 hours, but for me i feel it is quite enough, even with 2 - 3 hours of gaming, and with around an average 1 call/ hour, with brightness at max, and every other option of power consumption on, I was warned of battery being 70% consumed at exactly the same time as I had charged the day before. So for me it is quite adequate.

Secondly I am facing a huge problem while recieving calls with this phone, as soon as I pick up a call, the screen goes black, and does not light back up, even when I have to disconnect the call. When i touched the touchscreen it went black within 1 second of coming back up and it was very hard to end calls via the touchscreen option, in the end I had to tick the option of ending calls via the power button, but this black screen is posing a huge problem for me, as I cannot get the phone on speaker mode easily + If I have to do something while calling like noting down a number etc, I am not able to do that on the phone itself, in short the phone becomes inaccesible while making or recieving calls.

I don't know maybe I am doing something wrong, or have the settings set wrong, so if anyone knows about this very problem and can help me come around it, I would be very thankful

Regards !!!

You're facing issues with your proximity sensor calibration. On my old ZTE Blade, there was a built in proximity sensor calibration tool on every custom ROM. I think you need to show this to the Huawei service center guys as it isn't something that will get rectified on its own accord.

Hmm ....

I will take it to service centre to see why this is happening.

Also I went through the Power Toggles info page and the following toggles are available with this app

Contains following toggle options :
Wifi
Mobile Data (3G/4G)
2G/3G toggle (shortcut to settings)
WiMax (4G for EVO)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth discovery
Data Sync/ Sync Now
Airplane Mode
Screen Auto Rotate
Wifi Hotspot
Volume toggle
GPS and NFC* (shortcut to settings or one click is used as system app)
Four brightness modes (low, mid, high, and auto).
Auto brightness
Flashlight
Screen Always On
USB Tether
Screen Timeout toggle
Battery info
Multimedia buttons (play/ next track/ prev track)
Multimedia mute
Added bluetooth tethering toggle.
Volume sliders
Shutdown and Restart* (root)
Custom application shortcut
Custom system shortcuts

Which one is supposed to put it into and out of silent mode ???

Also I was just trying to dummy call from my house phone to check any way around the problem, and I have found that if I keep the touchscreen pressed, the screen stay lit up and then I can make use of the options available, but that means that my one finger has to be constantly in touch with the screen and as soon as I lift it the screen goes black again instantly.

Is this how its supposed to work with touchphones ???

- - - Updated - - -

Wow and now it has sorted itself out, now whenever I put it away from my ear, the screen comes up by itself... Strange , will see if it happens again, and then get it checked, maybe it needed to stay lit up once by my finger to callibrate the proximity sensor, and now that it has been callibrated it seems to be working fine, have triend calling many times in the past 5 minutes and it seems to be working fine. !!!!

LOL

Hmm ....

I will take it to service centre to see why this is happening.

Also I went through the Power Toggles info page and the following toggles are available with this app

Contains following toggle options :

Which one is supposed to put it into and out of silent mode ???
Volume Toggle. Do play around with the other toggles too. It's a pretty nifty app.

Wow and now it has sorted itself out, now whenever I put it away from my ear, the screen comes up by itself... Strange , will see if it happens again, and then get it checked, maybe it needed to stay lit up once by my finger to callibrate the proximity sensor, and now that it has been callibrated it seems to be working fine, have triend calling many times in the past 5 minutes and it seems to be working fine. !!!!

LOL
Glad it has sorted out on its own :) As you said, if it does reoccur, show it to the service centre.

Back