Budget 20-25K Android reccomendation - 25K

dafreaking

Skilled
1. Budget?
A: INR 25k(+/-2K)

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 4.7"-5.5", IPS LCD/AMOLED, FHD and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Latest and greatest!

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G + 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: All round device with a good camera and battery

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, microSD card slot if internal storage < 32GB

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Oneplus Two, Moto X Style, Xiaomi Mi5????

As the questionnaire says. Will be replacing my 18 month old Xiaomi Mi3 that still works well but the lack of storage is beginning to catch up. The budget cannot be extended by more than 2K (which is already over-stretching it, but, if something is worth it then why not). Would like to keep the phone for 18-24 months.

Would really like a great camera. Don't care about gaming or a qHD screen. Splash resistance is a plus.

The Moto X Style specs seem amazing but the reviews online seem quite meh given the specs.

This is interesting. I see the Sprint M9 is available for odd 21K. How easy/reliable/stable is the unlock for GSM? Any added expense that need to be incurred?
Unlocking charges may apply. You can look for unlocked version too.
Having used g4 and m9, my vote will go for m9, but everything ultimately boils to personal preference.
Keep checking eBay.com and geb, if you are lucky you may get it below 20k

I would recommend the OnePlus X! Got it back a few days ago. True the Snapdragon processor is a bit outdated but honestly the 3GB Ram more than makes up for it.Amazon is also selling at like 17K Rs, so its like a great bang for your buck. The things looks gorgeous too and the added screen protector and case really add a nice touch to the whole phone experience. If you want, I can teach you how to save a bit more off the phone.

Don't know if I want to "downgrade" to a 615 from a 800. Also the battery life/size seems meh. Would rather get a Redmi Note 3 if I was looking at a OPX.

GET MOTO x even though I voted for MI5 :p

Tempted, however the Mi5 looks great and it is coming to India next month! Will wait for ze price.

Get a G4 from GEB.

Can't seem to find a good deal for a G4 on GEB. Have been hunting for it. Found some Sprint LOCKED devices for 21K which looks brilliant. But then again, without unlocking it it makes no sense.

Then save up. 30k isn't that far. Otherwise look athte 2nd hand market, make sure that warranty is available as you may need it.

Unless your requirements change G4 is the best to go for.

Yes, but still 30K is a bit much for a year old phone.

Can't seem to find a good deal for a G4 on GEB. Have been hunting for it. Found some Sprint LOCKED devices for 21K which looks brilliant. But then again, without unlocking it it makes no sense.
Sprint phones can be easily unlocked for GSM. You can do it yourself following guides in XDA. Verizon phones are unlocked for GSM out of the box. Just pop your SIM :).

So the G5 seems a bit underwhelming. The S7 ticks all boxes but will probably be launched at around 50k.
people are looking at these two in the wrong way. G5 can't be compared with S7 nor G4. Think about it in terms of generations.

G4 is v3 of the previous gen. G5 is v1 of the new gen. You are generally better off with the mature previous than the shiny new. G4 vs S6 is a G4 win easy.

S6 is v1 of the new gen. S7 is v2 of the same gen. You can compare the G6 next year with the S7.

So compare G5 with S6. The S7 is what the S6 should have been.

As for how good the G5 or S7 is remains to be seen. At least three months out after launch. So june.[DOUBLEPOST=1457351841][/DOUBLEPOST]
Could be refurbs. Ask the seller for the first 3 digits of the serial#. Ideally you want later than 509.

Risky option, if there are any issues later you will have to send it back to get it fixed.

Last edited:
hi dafreaking,
i am commenting on this forum after a long time so don't hold it against me.
I bought the lenovo vibe x3 last month, so i thought i will give my 2 cents.
Pros:
1) The audio quality of the phone is really good. One the best. Easily outperforms most laptops in loudness and quality.
2) the screen is also crisp.
3) uses the same chipset as nexus 5x and moto x style but cheaper
4) smooth performance.
5) heating is not a big issue, but can heat up sometimes under heavy use.
6)best part is lenovo gives u an option to use stock launcher or lenovo vibe ui. this is great especially since vibe UI is not the best.
7) well built and comes with screen guard, back cover and a pair of earphones.

Cons:
1) Poor camera.
2)lenovo brand value
3) looks a lot like k4 note. lot of people mistook for a k4 note from a far and this kinda pisses me off.

While lenovo is not the best in terms of brand value and i too hesitated while buying this i really ended up liking the phone. was not expecting it since i looked down upon lenovo as a mobile brand.

If u want i can link u to some of the reviews i researched.
also it will be getting android m in either may or july(Don't quote me on this).

personally i would go for moto x style or nexus 5x(32gb) if i have the cash. if not i would recommend this phone.

i hope this helps.

If u have any questions then feel free to ask.

hi dafreaking,
i am commenting on this forum after a long time so don't hold it against me.
I bought the lenovo vibe x3 last month, so i thought i will give my 2 cents.
Pros:
1) The audio quality of the phone is really good. One the best. Easily outperforms most laptops in loudness and quality.
2) the screen is also crisp.
3) uses the same chipset as nexus 5x and moto x style but cheaper
4) smooth performance.
5) heating is not a big issue, but can heat up sometimes under heavy use.
6)best part is lenovo gives u an option to use stock launcher or lenovo vibe ui. this is great especially since vibe UI is not the best.
7) well built and comes with screen guard, back cover and a pair of earphones.

Cons:
1) Poor camera.
2)lenovo brand value
3) looks a lot like k4 note. lot of people mistook for a k4 note from a far and this kinda pisses me off.

While lenovo is not the best in terms of brand value and i too hesitated while buying this i really ended up liking the phone. was not expecting it since i looked down upon lenovo as a mobile brand.

If u want i can link u to some of the reviews i researched.
also it will be getting android m in either may or july(Don't quote me on this).

personally i would go for moto x style or nexus 5x(32gb) if i have the cash. if not i would recommend this phone.

i hope this helps.

If u have any questions then feel free to ask.

Bootloader is locked.
No custom ROMs

Firstly, thank you all for all your valuable input, feedback and advice. I seemed to have confused myself even more than before though. There is a slight change in plans. I have a couple of projects lined up and if I get confirmation of those within the next week or so I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a Nexus 6p!

Will keep you all posted..

Back