Budget 20-25K Android reccomendation - 25K

dafreaking

Skilled
1. Budget?
A: INR 25k(+/-2K)

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 4.7"-5.5", IPS LCD/AMOLED, FHD and above

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Latest and greatest!

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 3G + 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: All round device with a good camera and battery

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Don’t mind buying online

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup, microSD card slot if internal storage < 32GB

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Oneplus Two, Moto X Style, Xiaomi Mi5????

As the questionnaire says. Will be replacing my 18 month old Xiaomi Mi3 that still works well but the lack of storage is beginning to catch up. The budget cannot be extended by more than 2K (which is already over-stretching it, but, if something is worth it then why not). Would like to keep the phone for 18-24 months.

Would really like a great camera. Don't care about gaming or a qHD screen. Splash resistance is a plus.

The Moto X Style specs seem amazing but the reviews online seem quite meh given the specs.

Err not understanding what you're trying to say
You go for 6p get ready it sell it within 2 years. It sonly slightly less hard to repair than an htc one.

5x is much easier to repair in comparison but you only have 2gb memory and it isn't as smooth as it should be. 3gb is a minimum. no idea why, LG put out some low end devices that run L very smoothly with 2gb memory. Why the 5s seems to have trouble isn't clear but thats what i hear people say. They would much prefer a 6p mini. The 6p is too damn big.

how technical are you anyway ? nexus is a dev device, bleeding edge and buggy. You have to stay a version or two behind if you want a smooth experience.

You have enough for a g4, to my suprise they have imported some more recently. The metallic grey and gold plastic backs should be available for low 30s.

I'm scared of the G4 now. Itching to use AOSP now since the last two phones I used ran Touchwiz and MIUI. I have fixed a cracked screen on my Mi3 on my own, so yeah there is some technical knowledge. Have tried Custom ROMS on both but the custom roms for the Mi3 were always buggy to be used as daily drivers. If the Nexus 6P lasts 2 years then I'll be more than happy with it. Might source it from the US when there is a deal on the 64gb one. Still don't know if I am comfortable spending 40K on a phone.

Another option is to buy a used device till next year when the s7 edge becomes more affordable, though Android updates on Samsung devices are always shite.

I'm scared of the G4 now.
Why ?

Still don't know if I am comfortable spending 40K on a phone.
Lose the good camera requirement and you can get away for cheap.

Another option is to buy a used device till next year when the s7 edge becomes more affordable, though Android updates on Samsung devices are always shite.
s7e has good battery and a good camera. Just don't drop it.

Have you ever held a 6P. It's a big phone.

Reading a lot about the hardware issues. In any case If I had to spend 30K to buy it locally I would buy the 32gb Nexus 6P
Lose the good camera requirement and you can get away for cheap.
Yeah. But it is one of the main requirements.
s7e has good battery and a good camera. Just don't drop it.

Have you ever held a 6P. It's a big phone.

I used the original Note for almost 3 years and the Nexus 6p is narrower. I know what I'm getting into.

@dafreaking Sorry for hijacking your thread bro but i am in the same boat as you (Almost!)

Budget is 20k. Can extend it a little bit only if necessary.
Using AT&T LG G2 D800 atm which is still running solid. Will be giving at away to my dad.
Have been eyeing the Lenovo Vibe x3 for sometime now. The only thing that is stopping me is No Dev Support and Lenovo branding. What i liked is its VFM factor and its dedicated onboard DAC.
Have used OP2 as well, but have mixed views for the same. Dont know why but the phone looks very dull to me.
How is the Xiaomi Mi5? The pricing is a big turn off. Would've bought it for sure, had Xiaomi priced it sensibly.

Any suggestions from fellow members here? What else to consider and what to buy? Will be buying the phone in a week or two?

Reading a lot about the hardware issues.
See the irony, you are scared about buying the G4. I have one and am not scared. Still have 7 months warranty left. If nothing happens after i figure i'm good. If it does i'll write it off and look for something else. If there is nothing else i'll get another G4.

Look at the poll I linked earlier.

Internet makes small things big because only those with problems make a noise.

Yeah. But it is one of the main requirements.
Then save up and wait.

The biggest advanatage of s7e is more the battery than the camera. sd card is a good addition. Bit stupid they left it out of the S6 only to reintroduce it.

The camera has some nice improvements but quality wise pictures don't look very much different compared to the S6. Two things i've noticed it does use slower shutter speeds than in the past in low light and higher shutter speeds when flash is used. So it can actually freeze people better. Convenient.

To replicate this would require manual on the G4 or S6 and is equally achievable, just extra steps.

The G5 otoh has improved on image quality in terms of details. Sharp end to end. The G4 tends to be softer towards the edges. Comparison pics show better resolution of details. What did LG do ? stick a better lens on the G5. It's an iterative improvement not a generational one. And then there is that wide angle secondary. You get to see four times more. It makes the primary appear too zoomed in. Seriously fun. Why don't all phones have this.

The advantage of 16MP at 16:9 means more room to crop. If you use 16: 9on the s7 you are down to 9MP as the s7 is a 4:3 native sensor.

Why can't they be 3:2. Its a std. Why do phones have to keep jumping around like this.

In any case If I had to spend 30K to buy it locally I would buy the 32gb Nexus 6P Yeah. But it is one of the main requirements.
32gb means how much available ? 23GB

i filled up a 32GB sd card with stuff in just over a year. So you will have to transfer stuff out. There is this usb c nonsense which means any otg is going to be more expensive than the previous usb. I say nonsense because the capabilites are the same as the previous only the port is different. They say its is the future but future has not arrived yet.

you mentioned roms. Realise that with 6.0 that bootloader has to be unlocked just to root. This option is not available on the G4 with 6. If that is important then G4 is out.

It is on the Nexus. But unlocking the BL will blow a fuse so there is no way to hide it. So you're not doing any rooting until your warranty is up. A year later.

Last edited:
Back