Any aquarists here?

210 Gallon Goldfish Tank:

Tank Dimensions ( L X W X H): 84" X 24" 24"
Tank Capacity: 210 US Gallons (800 Liters approx).
Filtration: 2 X SunSun 304A @ 2000 L/h (each) + 1 X Internal Power Filter (Filled with Seachem Matrix) @ 1200 L/h + DIY Overhead Sump @2800 L/h + 4 X Large XY-380 Xinyou Sponge Filters (with 2 X Marina 200 Air Pumps).
Substrate: Bare-bottom.
Lighting: DIY LED Lighthoods.
Water Changes: 50% Weekly via Immersed Sobo WP 7200 (5500 L/h) Pump.

Here is the Sobo WP7200 Pump that is used for water changes, it's plumbed into the tank:

DSCF5600.jpg

DSCF5604.jpg

DSCF5605.jpg

The pump is a beast! It takes around 7-8 minutes to empty the tank to 50% of the water level which is what I change per week. To fill that water back into the tank it takes an hour!

The entire water changing is seamless and doesn't involve any heavy manual tasks. I simply turn off the canister filters (leave the air pumps and sponge filters running inside the tank) and turn on the Sobo WP7200 submersed pump after I open the ball valve on it's plumbing. The pump's piping is plumbed straight from the tank down to my home's backyard drainage area 4 floors down. After the water level comes down to 50% I simple turn the pump off with the flick of a switch and shut the ball valve off to cut the siphon. The tank is connected to a hose which circles outside my house and directly links to a water outlet in my kitchen in the other wing of my house from which I can fill the tank up. The length of the hose is about 120 feet. Once done I turn all the filters back on again. Job done!

This 210 Gallon tank has been running for slightly over a month now and it's fully cycled. I have transferred all my existing Goldfish and filter media from my older 120 Gallon tank to it. New additional filter media was also added. The fish are really enjoying their new home and the additional space (specially the increase in length) has them nice and happy. They are presently all healthy and eating well. The 120 Gallon tank after serving for close to 10 years was finally shutdown last month.

I also have a shipment of K1 Kaldness coming in later this month from the US.

Last edited:
Here is a night-shot of the tank with tank lights turned on:

DSCF5723.jpg

Also, I got these...

DSCF5713.jpg

DSCF5715.jpg

34" KollerCraft TOM Algae Scraper Multi-Tool (With three interchangeable attachments and a corrosion resistant fiberglass handle). - Got this from Amazon US via iShop International.

DSCF5652.jpg

DSCF5654.jpg

Manzanita Driftwood. This is for my other SE Asian themed 27 Gallon Tank. It's currently being boiled daily for leeching tannins prior to being put in the said tank.

Last edited:
So this post has nothing to do with fish, but i need some advice on glass. I bought a 1'x2' mirror that's 2mm thick and the edges are sharp. The guys at the shop didn't wanna risk using their grinder because they said 4mm is fine, 2mm might break while smoothening. I have various grades of sandpaper (wet&dry) and just need to know the right materials and technique to smoothen the sharp edges down. I have a cordless dremel but am not sure if that would cause the glass to shatter. So thinking manually would be safer. Also not sure if the shop guys were just being lazy and BSing me about their grinder.

Not really, it's just 6 running feet to grind. None of the glass shops had 2mm, thinnest was 4, this i got from a photo framing shop, but they don't finish the edge.

What thickness of glass is required for a tank which is 3 feet high?
Which entry level filter and heater should I buy?
Since I'm new to this, Which fishes won't require a lot of care but still look beautiful?
Mollies and Guppies?
3 feet high??? Wow. How long and wide? If you're thinking 3 foot high take entry level stuff out of your mind. You'll need the best of everything. 19mm glass to begin with.

Last edited:
What thickness of glass is required for a tank which is 3 feet high?
Which entry level filter and heater should I buy?
Since I'm new to this, Which fishes won't require a lot of care but still look beautiful?
Mollies and Guppies?
Is that 3 feet high or 3 feet in length? As for thickness you can start from 3mm to 6mm glass tank, but for easy maintenance you can get acrylic tank which will be easy to lift and move but are prone to scratches if not handled properly. For beginners you can start with tetras, varieties of cichlids, mollies, platys, zebra, bettas and even normal gold fish. I particularly like neon tetras as they are great to watch in a school 15 to 20 or more depending upon the size of the tank. Any ordinary internal sponge filter will do the job but for good quality you can start with Boyu internal filters. Tank size depends on the type of fish you are going to keep. Any tank needs a minimum maintenance of water change and a constant check on bio load to keep the tank healthier.

You can get more info on fish keeping here http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/

Is that 3 feet high or 3 feet in length? As for thickness you can start from 3mm to 6mm glass tank, but for easy maintenance you can get acrylic tank which will be easy to lift and move but are prone to scratches if not handled properly. For beginners you can start with tetras, varieties of cichlids, mollies, platys, zebra, bettas and even normal gold fish. I particularly like neon tetras as they are great to watch in a school 15 to 20 or more depending upon the size of the tank. Any ordinary internal sponge filter will do the job but for good quality you can start with Boyu internal filters. Tank size depends on the type of fish you are going to keep. Any tank needs a minimum maintenance of water change and a constant check on bio load to keep the tank healthier.

You can get more info on fish keeping here http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/
Danio is a very hardy and very interesting fish.

Acrylic is a lot more expensive. Top row is the length bottom is height. Share all dimensions of your tank build.

1622122212316.png

PS: I am assuming you meant 3 foot long tank. The. You may then consider 36" long 18" tall and 12 OR 18" wide tank. This will give you best of all worlds. Glass manufacturer will charge you for 18" if you want anything above 12". Anything above 18" they will charge for 24". That is how their tariff works.
Yes Danios can withstand any type of water and conditions. Also they breed well and easiest type of egglaying breeders

This blew my mind haha.

I have 5 of them thriving in a 35 liter molded "Chinese" tank.

Last edited:
Share all dimensions of your tank build.
2.5 ft x 1.25 ft x 1.5 ft (l x b x h)
For beginners you can start with tetras, varieties of cichlids, mollies, platys, zebra, bettas and even normal gold fish.
Are they all compatible with each other?
I heard there needs to be compatability among fishes.
Also suggest how many fishes should I keep with tank of above mentioned size and which ones?
TIA

@MadAxe

> Are they all compatible with each other?

Not at all, it will be better to find the your most interested fish and then find compatible tank mates.
If you want to tread with caution, start with hardy fishes like guppies, neon tetra, etc. Otherwise, even cute looking small fishes will fight to death in front of you, so read information from possible sources.
Once your aquarium is fully cycled, you can change fishes.

As for number of fishes, general rule is one fish per gallon, but can change as per size of fish, bio-load, aquarium type, etc.:

More over, what kind of water are you using, tap water, soft water, hard water, well water, etc. ? If you are using tap water, be very careful to use conditioner for that or chlorine remover. Otherwise all fish will die within few hours of introduction. Common noob mistake, happened with lot of my friends.

Last edited:

Also suggest how many fishes should I keep with tank of above mentioned size and which ones?
TIA
As for compatibility you can keep Guppies, Tetras, Swordtails, and Danios as a community tank. Maximum of 6 to 7 or have a school of neon tetras (around 10 pairs for this tank size). Tank cycling is important before you start introducing the fish.

TIA
I will recommend to start with 10 Danios only because Danios are very hardy. Use a top filer with Seachem matrix OR ADA Bio Rio some regular foam as mechanical media (filter stuff to clean/filter) water. Use Hikari feed for small fish. First build the tank then set everything up. Do a fishless cycle. Fish comes in the end.

Last edited:
hi guys...

Anyone adding CO2 to their tanks ? What methods you are using ?

Which is the cheapest option with less personal involvement ?

Anybody using small CO2 cylinders and refilling them when required ? How much does it cost ?

One of my friend wanted to try a hack by using Mr. Butlers Soda maker cylinders and was wondering whether off market regulators and connectors can be available for the same ?

Back