Storage Solutions Any chance of HDD pricing coming back to normal anytime soon ?

Switch

Skilled
Hey Guys,

I have been postponing my HDD purchase for quite a while now but it seems like I am almost on the edge. I have not more then 50GB of storage space left. I seriously need to buy a HDD for backup purposes.

Also what are current running prices for 2,1.5 & 1 TB respectively.

TIA

Switch

I don't see any chance of hdd pricing coming down till september/october 2012.Recent hdd pricing-

Segate 1TB 7200rpm-5.7k or 6k

WD GREEN 1TB 7200RPM-6K

Segate 2TB 5900RPM-8.7K

WD GREEN 2TB-9.5K

I bought a Seagate 500GB-er internal 2.5" for 5.6K
<

" Hard Drive Prices Beginning to Subside "

Hard disk drive factories in Southeast Asia are beginning to come back online, and the flow of fresh components is already starting to drive prices back down.

Analysts had initially predicted a year or more would pass before HHD supply chains normalize and prices recede from their 50 to 150 percent price spikes. The restoration of some factories in Thailand and the switch to alternative manufacturers outside Southeast Asia is easing the supply chain issues, analyst report.

While HHD will remain difficult to source for many vendors, analysts are now forecasting normalization as early as the end of this quarter (March or early April). The result will be lower prices, they say.

Source

Yup as expected, prices will start to go down from now. The only problem now is, will the Indian distris and vendors lower the price as well.
<

Oh they eventually will..April-May should be right time to pickup new HDD, and this time I wont make the mistake of waiting for the price to comedown!

Yup as expected, prices will start to go down from now. The only problem now is, will the Indian distris and vendors lower the price as well.
<

In the end, they will have to. Else they won't be able to meet their sales targets.

Also as a caution there may be dual pricing of products new ones with 1 yr warranty and old ones with balance warranty.

In the end, they will have to. Else they won't be able to meet their sales targets.

Also as a caution there may be dual pricing of products new ones with 1 yr warranty and old ones with balance warranty.

Why meet sales targets when you can meet revenue targets from higher priced stock?
<

Why meet sales targets when you can meet revenue targets from higher priced stock?
<

Exactly. Those who need more space and have no option, will go out and buy a hard disk anyways. Even those who are looking to wait for a longer time will see that the prices aren't coming down and eventually get one themselves.

Need 2TB internal ,waiting for price to come down below 4k , previous 2TB Seagate 5900 was bought at 4000 all inclusive last July
<

Seagate has issued a statement as part of its recent financial results saying that they expect the prices of HDDs to remain high possibly throughout 2012 if not till most of the year.. funnily though, their financial peformance wasnt too bad at all...

makes me wonder if the companies are getting used to the high prices and are actually sandbagging about things returning to normal?? Artificially creating a vaccum and charging higher than necessary...

Read more here..

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/1/2763289/seagate-hard-drive-shortage-thailand-flood

Seagate has issued a statement as part of its recent financial results saying that they expect the prices of HDDs to remain high possibly throughout 2012 if not till most of the year.. funnily though, their financial peformance wasnt too bad at all...

makes me wonder if the companies are getting used to the high prices and are actually sandbagging about things returning to normal?? Artificially creating a vaccum and charging higher than necessary...

Read more here..

http://www.theverge....-thailand-flood

They have tasted blood. Now, what do you expect?

Back