Any cheap options for US-Indian freight forwarders?

Is there any other option than PPO or ishop to use for getting a used ipod? They can send it without the original packaging if that can help avoid the customs and can also mark as gift but I doubt customs can be avoided if PPO or ishop like services are used.

varkey
Which service would you recommend, PPObox or ishop or some other (cost is priority, can wait a few extra days)? BTW, it IS possible for me to contact the seller regarding packaging, would you recommend something to ask the seller for? I read in some post that PPO charges on volume basis, but on their website, while calculating the cost, they only ask for the weight. Something changed?
Thanks for your help.

@Cloud-S : Yes PPOBox charges the higher of the actual or volumetric weight. What are you planning to buy? (A link perhaps?)

It depends, if its an auction or some item which is not accessible to everyone, only PPOBox or SnS can be used. If its a publicly available item, go for iShopInternational, as they provide a fixed landing cost all inclusive. Even if the actual weight on arrival is higher than the given quote they don't charge anything extra (hadnumerous instances where this was the case :p)

Try iBhejo.com as well, they have a Rs 500 off on Rs 2000 coupon available too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking of getting PSP, through auction.

varkey

PPO website states -
Q: Can I purchase something as a duty-free gift?

A: Yes. An item may be sent as a duty-free gift under the following conditions:
1) The value of the item does not exceed $200.

But when I talked to the support chat, the operator simply said that its not possible to get a shipment without having to pay duty. I insisted him, gave the link and everything but he simply refused to accept.
Do you think, its possible to get a shipment duty-free if the value is USD 200 and if the seller marks the shipment as GIFT on the outer box of the packaging?

Cloud-S Using ppobox for almost 6 months now and as far as I know you need to pay customs for even used items(No duty free allowed until you have a U.S. credit card)

You can try their cost estimator.Most of the times the charged amount is pretty close to the estimated.Make sure you ask the seller to wrap it in as small box as possible as they charge on volumetric weight

Yes to a maximum of 5 but they may ask for extra money if items ordered were from different sellers

I just chatted with their online support. they say we do not have any service to combine....
However, on their registration page they mention if you buy the professional account 1 of the service is package consolidation.

Anyone with a PPOBox professional account here who has tried???

I just chatted with their online support. they say we do not have any service to combine....
However, on their registration page they mention if you buy the professional account 1 of the service is package consolidation.

Anyone with a PPOBox professional account here who has tried???

Same thing, the chat support say something and their website page something else.

Also be careful while importing thru ppobox. They charge on volumetric basis or weight - WHICHEVER IS HIGHER. So god forbid item is lightweight but in box. You will be screwed.
Reg consolidated packing, you need to sign up a separate form and also 20 packages a month is minimum requirement.
Also, I am very dicey about the customs duty supposed to be paid by them . what if you import something and one day you are required to prove this item was imported by paying customs duty and not smuggled , how are you gonna prove it ?

Also be careful while importing thru ppobox. They charge on volumetric basis or weight - WHICHEVER IS HIGHER. So god forbid item is lightweight but in box. You will be screwed.
Reg consolidated packing, you need to sign up a separate form and also 20 packages a month is minimum requirement.
Also, I am very dicey about the customs duty supposed to be paid by them . what if you import something and one day you are required to prove this item was imported by paying customs duty and not smuggled , how are you gonna prove it ?

Every package forwarded except ShopAndShip charge based on volumetric weight, incl comGateway, Borderlinx, HopShopGo etc (But these companies have to option to get it repackaged to reduce the volumetric weight, which is not the case with PPOBox)

Well, only PPO Box will have the records of you every importing the item, and the package will never come to you directly from the US, it reaches their Mumbai office and is sent by local courier. So actually there is no trace of you directly importing/smuggling the item unless you bring PPOBox into the picture.

Ppobox plainly refuses to provide any sort of proof that customs was paid, whereas sns will give a copy of duty paid.

Their site mentions the following but never tried it myself.

Also note that packages are cleared in bulk and no duty slip will be provided. In case you require a duty slip, please contact us BEFORE you start shipping your packages as idividual receipts require special clearance and additional charges.

PPObox - your personal post office to shop U.S., U.K., and India

Yes, but even then they haven't given me a duty slip or w/e.
I have some suspicion about the operations by ppobox, but cannot be said in public forums ;)

Yes, but even then they haven't given me a duty slip or w/e.
I have some suspicion about the operations by ppobox, but cannot be said in public forums ;)

As its mentioned, you have to inform them before you ship the package saying you want the individual duty slip.

Getting worse day by day: they claim item left mumbai on 11th. But Bluedart shows as 12th, and I haven't got them item yet.

December 11, 2012 2000 MUMBAI SHIPMENT IN TRANSIT - LOCATION
December 11, 2012 1100 MUMBAI SHIPMENT REACHED INDIA HUB
December 9, 2012 2333 MUMBAI SHIPMENT UNDER CUSTOM CLEARANC
December 9, 2012 2321 MUMBAI SHIPMENT REACHED INDIA
December 8, 2012 2121 NEW YORK SHIPMENT IN TRANSIT TO INDIA
December 8, 2012 2020 NEW YORK SHIPMENT LEFT US HUB TO INDIA
December 8, 2012 1420 NEW YORK SHIPMENT RECEIVED INUS HUB
December 7, 2012 0002 NEW YORK AWAITING THE ITEM FROM SELLER
December 5, 2012 0000 NEW YORK SHIPMENT INFORMATION RECEIVED

Back