Any recommended surge protectors?

No, Surge protectors shunt momentary spikes of voltage to ground. They act much fast as compared to fuses.

Fuses, on the other hand, are simple devices that operate by melting when they are exposed to a high current.

They are two different things, although there is some overlap in their functioning and usage.
Yes, that depends on the quality of protection you're going for. A standard Surge protector does work by diverting the extra electricity into the outlet's grounding wire. Most commonly an MOV is used to divert that extra voltage. This gm 3060 model does have that in addition to the fuse protection that already mentioned.

Yes and that fuse is inside that Surge Protector. These kind of surge protectors have this fuse inside them which can be easily replaced.

Fuses are also commonly used to protect from overcurrent/overpower, they don't do anything at all when it comes to voltage. Their main function is to melt and break the connection before anything else burns up and catches on fire. If you look into the product description of the link you sent, it clearly states it that it does not have any surge protection.

1690454856022.png

Fuses are also commonly used to protect from overcurrent/overpower, they don't do anything at all when it comes to voltage. Their main function is to melt and break the connection before anything else burns up and catches on fire. If you look into the product description of the link you sent, it clearly states it that it does not have any surge protection.

View attachment 173712
Oh, damn. I am really sorry for the mistake on my part. I guess I have been duped by the store owner into thinking it has one. I should have done the due diligence before buying it and also recommending it.

View attachment 173712
I think 'thermal tripper' is them referring to the fuse.

This Honeywell product is an actual surge protector. Rest of them use fuses or resetting overload switch and one mov connected from live to ground for the least amount of protection.

Honeywell Surge Protector, 4 Universal Sockets, 2 Meter Cord, 15000Amp, Device Secure Warranty, Automatic Overload Protection, Spike Guard/Extension Board, Master Switch, 3Year Manufacturer Warranty https://amzn.eu/d/8EZapgl

Plus there's device protection warranty upto 25k in the Honeywell which they haven't advertised.

In old surge protectors there used to be iron core RFI shield installed on a pcb. Now it's non existent on most products.

Upon reading a bit on surge protectors I found a couple of things. Mostly that most of them have a energy rating which they can in a sense "absorb" (kinda like a sponge) before they fail. For example, the APC UPS BX600C-IN has a rating of 255J according to its datasheet, which means it can absorb approx 255J of energy before the surge protection fails.

On the other hand this extension:
Honeywell Surge Protector, 4 Universal Sockets, 2 Meter Cord, 15000Amp, Device Secure Warranty, Automatic Overload Protection, Spike Guard/Extension Board, Master Switch, 3Year Manufacturer Warranty https://amzn.eu/d/8EZapgl

Has a rating of 525J. A lot of sources on the internet say that this in a sense means that it will absorb a total of 525J over its lifetime then it will be useless. But this seems kinda werid to me, as we know MOVs are used to "protect" from the surges by pushing the excess power to ground through themselves, and hence they will damage themselves in the process due to the heat and voltage. But most sources on the internet say that this damage process occurs sure, but it is slow and they fail when their resistance drops so low that they start conducting enough current at the AC peaks to burn themselves up, which makes sense.

However, i really cannot find any correlation between the joule values that the companies give vs the actual fail mechanisms of the MOVs. Can anyone explain this to me better?

You probably need to know what kind of spikes your devices are susceptible to, you have no stats on that, what kind of surge pulse you are getting, what amplitude, fast or slow rise time, short or long duration, without knowing any of this, you won't know how strong your protection needs to be. An oscilloscope is what tells all of this, also it's dangerous playing with AC voltage without knowing what you doing.

If you serious about this and want to protect your PC, an online UPS from APC will do the job, it always provides power to the PC through the batteries, regardless of whether there is AC power present or not. The lead acid batteries can take huge surge currents without any problem.

It works like this, the AC power comes in, gets converted to DC to charge the batteries and then the power from the batteries gets converted back to AC and then goes to your PC. That's the definition of online UPS.

In worse case the UPS will give up before anything bad reaches your PC making it safe. Considering it is an APC UPS.

First of all I would suggest you to check earthing/other wiring/MCBs in your home.

If you are still confused or can't decide anything yet, I will suggest another simpler alternative.
Invest in a good voltage stabilizer that has a capable hardware, should come around 3k-5k max. Connect it to main socket, then connect in such a way that power strip->UPS -> pc.
It will handle all spikes, surges, will take care of boost/buck duties, and will also handle auto cut offs if required. Even if something happens, the stabilizer or its fuse will take the damages mostly. The only thing you need to worry about is, not to exceed the amps/wattage rating of the stabilizer.

This one comes at a cost though and suitable for people who cannot use Inverter/full home stabilizers.

Back