Any reviews of PPOBox.com or iShopInternational?

Yes

Yes, its written at the footer - Powered by comGateway. ;)

Right but obviously the customs guys cannot charge beyond the fixed 2% / 4% (I forget) duty on phones? Yeah some PPOBox agents might be able to negotiate lower prices, but PPOBox then has the 26USD tax on it. So comGateway still sort of comes out ahead.

@varkey, that reminds me. I have got a package to ship, so can we send them the invoice to attach with the shipment, or just rely on the customs assessment? The price difference is substantial :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just now I have ordered for a phone shipment on PPObox. They have quoted 1,334.95 INR for both shipping and . Till now conversations I had with PPO box guys have been trustable. Will keep you posted how it goes.

Right but obviously the customs guys cannot charge beyond the fixed 2% / 4% (I forget) duty on phones? Yeah some PPOBox agents might be able to negotiate lower prices, but PPOBox then has the 26USD tax on it. So comGateway still sort of comes out ahead.

That's true, plus Fedex / DHL has an handling fee of about 350 Rs. Actually the tax seems to be about 4% only for ICC's address. My friend ordered a Nexus 7 with 3G and he was charged only 12.5 USD as tax.

varkey, that reminds me. I have got a package to ship, so can we send them the invoice to attach with the shipment, or just rely on the customs assessment? The price difference is substantial :)

For PPOBox, they don't ask for invoice, you can enter any value ;) :p when you create the shipment ID. If you buy from Amazon etc where they include an invoice with the shipment, they consider the invoice value. Otherwise you are free to enter any *reasonable* value. ;)

For PPOBox, they don't ask for invoice, you can enter any value ;) :p when you create the shipment ID. If you buy from Amazon etc where they include an invoice with the shipment, they consider the invoice value. Otherwise you are free to enter any *reasonable* value. ;)

Hmm, I bought from Amazon, but the invoice these guys have on their site is like a regular paper with 'hard disk' written on it, no amount nothing. Anyway, I will enter the original value and see, hopefully I won't be overcharged in customs!

ComGateway rounds off the package weight to the nearest 0.5 kg. Suppose your package is 0.6kg, they will round it off to 1 kg and charge for 1kg. :(

Do other forwarders also do the same?

ComGateway rounds off the package weight to the nearest 0.5 kg. Suppose your package is 0.6kg, they will round it off to 1 kg and charge for 1kg. :(

Yes, every provider.

And except SnS every forwarder considers volumetric weight too.

Not just freight forwarders, this is standard practice for all courier companies

First of do not use any address with ppobox mention in address as Google will cancel your order from personal experience...go with hopshopgo or theamericanbazzar

Stop misrepresenting information. Please provide the complete context.

Google's logistics team or UPS, to whom it has outsourced the logistics for the Nexus 4, seems to confuse PPO Box# with PO Box#, to which they do not deliver. How do I know this? Because I had two orders, both being shipped to the same ICC NY address with 'PPO' in the address. One of them got cancelled citing 'PPO address undeliverable' and the other they shipped and has already been delivered to ICC/PPOBox NY Office.

So really, it's just your luck if they catch the 'PPO' in the address. Removing the two words 'PPO Box', while retaining the #(Box number)-(Unique ID) should take car of it.

On a side note, ppobox seems to be very good with their communication. They sent me an email, saying they've received a parcel in my account, within 30 minutes of the courier being delivered to them. They are quoting a delivery time of 2-5 days.. fingers crossed

Stop misrepresenting information. Please prove the complete context.

Google's logistics team or UPS, to whom it has outsourced the logistics for the Nexus 4, seems to confuse PPO Box# with PO Box#, to which they do not deliver. How do I know this? Because I had two orders, both being shipped to the same ICC NY address with 'PPO' in the address. One of them got cancelled citing 'PPO address undeliverable' and the other they shipped and has already been delivered to ICC/PPOBox NY Office.

So really, it's just your luck if they catch the 'PPO' in the address. Removing the two words 'PPO Box', while retaining the #(Box number)-(Unique ID) should take car of it.

On a side note, ppobox seems to be very good with their communication. They sent me an email, saying they've received a parcel in my account, within 30 minutes of the courier being delivered to them. They are quoting a delivery time of 2-5 days.. fingers crossed

idiot same thing happen to you as you write in your post...happen to me almost 3 times so its not just about luck...

idiot same thing happen to you as you write in your post...happen to me almost 3 times so its not just about luck...

What's with the name calling you fcuktard!

You blatantly suggested not to use ppobox, without providing any context to your issue and in half-broken english. The probable solution is to get rid of 'PPO Box' from the shipping address and not to stop using ppobox altogether.

If you want to share your experience, provide the facts and the context and stop taking offense unnecessarily.. grow up!

What's with the name calling you fcuktard!

You blatantly suggested not to use ppobox, without providing any context to your issue and in half-broken english. The probable solution is to get rid of 'PPO Box' from the shipping address and not to stop using ppobox altogether.

If you want to share your experience, provide the facts and the context and stop taking offense unnecessarily.. grow up!

sorry for that...
I don't want to go back and check mail as I already delete them,but will try you're suggestion next time

Whats the process with PPO box? Seems complicated...also, should I remove that 'PPO box' thing from the address?

1 - Register on PPOBox.com
2 - Calculate an approximate quote using their calculator, if you're okay with it proceed further.
3 - Create a shipment on ppobox.com by filling up the form, make sure all information is accurate. Leave the tracking information right now, come back and fill it up when you receive it. Enter the actual product price here, exclusive of shipping and tax.
4 - Note down the shipment address as provided by the ppobox website, including the unique package id
5 - Buy whatever you want from where ever but when you are entering the shipping address you got from ppobox, remove the 'PPO Box' from the address, just put #(Box number)-(Unique package id)
6 - When your product is shipped, go to the ppobox website and enter tracking information in the form you had filled up earlier. Call their indian helpline to confirm they have the updated information
7 - You'll get a confirmation from ppobox when they receive your package in their NY office. They usually ship it the same day they receive the courier.
8 - When it reaches here, you'll get another email with the actual quote for the shipping, handling, insurance and customs.
9 - Pay this and they'll ship your product to you.

Once they receive your package in their NY office, it usually will reach you in 4-5 days assuming, you pay them the same day you get the quote. Hope this helps

1 - Register on PPOBox.com
Once they receive your package in their NY office, it usually will reach you in 4-5 days assuming, you pay them the same day you get the quote. Hope this helps

How different is this from SnS; or better/worse...? I would like that candid comparison. Though the above summary you put in, is nice and good.

Back