Anybody here driving a Tesla?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
After a post in this forum, I'm seriously thinking of buying a new car ( though I will be needing it after 2 years)
My wife bought a Tesla S and it's a pretty fantastic car...now my old car is really old and I do need a car. I've driven her car few times, it's so freaking easy...shall I go straight for the X or buy another S for mostly city commute?
I really don't want to spend much on a normal car ( no interest in BMW/ Audi/ Jag/ Merc) etc.
It will either be a Tesla or some mid priced Honda/ Toyota.
I don't know much about cars..any insight will be really of great help.

teslas dont require regular maintenance. thats what i like about them. i don’t drive one but have one on reservation. will get it sometime december.

Save your money. Buy a cheap second-hand vehicle that will last you a few years with minimum upkeep. You have a great Job and Salary, Save and Invest. Don't buy depreciating assets with large upkeep at this time of global monetary madness. Apologies if this too random/rude considering the question you posed.
And this what I do...always.. Grab a second hand stuff.. no regrets even if something happens months/yrs down, at least the pain is less than hurting your brand new item and suffering a heart attack!
If you value your money no matter how rich you are invest or save it for something better else if you are that spoiling splurger than makes no sense suggesting anything for such people..

That's what tempting me, no more stopping for gas, very few mechanical moving parts of the engine, 8 years warranty on the battery.
Life has indeed become easier for my wife and the ride quality is great.
Please don't take it in a wrong way, I'm driving a second hand car since I got here. My wife was do pissed off with the car ( specially after the kid was born) she stopped driving it, bought some Voxwagon and eventually this Tesla S.
I always teased her for this expensive purchase ( she shot back with my audio gear addiction) now I've stopped buying audio gears almost completely. But I need a decent car.
Not interested in expensive brands, even Lexus.
The S opened my eyes during our ride from Praha to Bratislava/Kosice and back.
I'm considering Tesla, not to show off, but at the same time since we already have one in the family...rather confused.
I've no interest in cars, it's just an equipment for travel from point A to B for me.

Last edited:
And this what I do...always.. Grab a second hand stuff.. no regrets even if something happens months/yrs down, at least the pain is less than hurting your brand new item and suffering a heart attack!
If you value your money no matter how rich you are invest or save it for something better else if you are that spoiling splurger than makes no sense suggesting anything for such people..
you know... sometimes “time” is more important than “money”

you know... sometimes “time” is more important than “money”
Not talking about emergencies etc. but its obvious once doesn't buy a car, pc, phone etc gadgets deciding in a single day right?
These things need planning in advance at least a week if its that urgent!

Just like other imported products, the cheapest Tesla is rumoured to cost 55-60lakhs in India. Adding to that the non-existent charging infrastructure, I really don't see it becoming mainstream here. Plus there is no chance that the autopilot system would be enabled here, even after paying huge ₹₹.

Just like other imported products, the cheapest Tesla is rumoured to cost 55-60lakhs in India. Adding to that the non-existent charging infrastructure, I really don't see it becoming mainstream here. Plus there is no chance that the autopilot system would be enabled here, even after paying huge ₹₹.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: just what I mentioned above... These cars are and never ever made for India... roads wise, sense wise and monetary wise.. Only splurgees and rich will try them that too for prestige thing!

:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: just what I mentioned above... These cars are and never ever made for India... roads wise, sense wise and monetary wise.. Only splurgees and rich will try them that too for prestige thing!
Well tesla cars were never meant for idia ,true but teslas approach/technology very much relevant for any coùntry which receives good amount of sunlight,i am more into solar power to tesla`s massive batteries ,tesla should partner with tata for drivetrain and chassis of tata ,tata is already in power business ,and they could easily setup super chargers ,it can be extended to heavy vehicles as well
I am not in India mate.
i am aware, that was my answer that we dont have a tesla over here for public ,though some fanboys have imported it

Teslas have one of the worst build qualities. They're mostly hype.
Ambassador has the best build quality.

Jokes aside, all modern cars are designed to crumble under collision to absorb the impact. And if these cars are allowed to be sold in North Amerca & EU markets, they are much safer than what tinboxes we drive in India.

Ambassador has the best build quality.

Jokes aside, all modern cars are designed to crumble under collision to absorb the impact. And if these cars are allowed to be sold in North Amerca & EU markets, they are much safer than what tinboxes we drive in India.
I believe he was talking about quality control and parts quality in teslas. Their safety is top notch. But general consensus is that their fit and finish and interior quality are not up to the mark as their asking price (compared to similarly priced Mercedes or bmw).

Save your money. Buy a cheap second-hand vehicle that will last you a few years with minimum upkeep. You have a great Job and Salary, Save and Invest. Don't buy depreciating assets with large upkeep at this time of global monetary madness. Apologies if this too random/rude considering the question you posed.
Solid advice :) I totally agree.

@red dragon If you are looking to save the planet, then, a second hand car would be a better bet (technically, more than half the pollution a car causes in its lifetime is while it is being produced).

If you want easy of ownership in terms of lower maintenance costs, and have restricted driving needs (no long drives) and are in a place where charging is not an issue then go electric. I am sure you know it.

Tesla in Specific

Like @blkrb0t said, Tesla build quality is nothing to write home about. A lot of my friends using tesla have issues with the same. I do not know how your wife's S is holding up though.

But if you are looking to go electric, a lot of traditional car makers have gone electric, and you might have a better service experience with them (in terms of ease of access), but that too depends.

Kia/Hyundai are doing a great job, as are Volvo. If you are looking for compact stuff, Bolt (Chevrolet) and Leaf (Nissan) (is it still available?) are cars you could be looking at.

Hope this helps!

I believe he was talking about quality control and parts quality in teslas. Their safety is top notch. But general consensus is that their fit and finish and interior quality are not up to the mark as their asking price (compared to similarly priced Mercedes or bmw).
That's true though. The best way to proceed would be to use do a proper inspection when taking the delivery. I believe that they fix such build issues when pointed out. Having said that, these issues should not have existed in the first place.

I am definitely looking forward to owning a Tesla, regardless, in a few years, if I am able to achieve my plans of moving out of India to Europe.

Back