Anyone from IT startUp ecosystem ?

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Well i was wondering how are the initial days of an IT startups ?

how do startup choose what product they wish to make and from where do they find help for their prototype ?

( please no googling here [emoji14] )

What is the enviroment and how people share work load.

How they discuss the business ? In terms or business !

How do the interact with with people to make them client when they are new !

Let me try, I work with a IT startup (not yet funded by outsiders i.e. not a single round of funding yet)

Well i was wondering how are the initial days of an IT startups ? - Hectic in terms of work, can be average in terms of immediate renumeration till funding is taken.

how do startup choose what product they wish to make and from where do they find help for their prototype ? - Founders usually do this BEFORE starting a co. and hiring people. The basis is the market needs of a product, acceptability + saleability to target clients, marketability, and possible valuation at which it can be monetised and divested off.

( please no googling here [emoji14] )

What is the enviroment and how people share work load. - Stress, Work loads are usually shared initially over heated exchanges and angry emails at 1 AM (Right now it is 1 AM)

How they discuss the business ? In terms or business ! - Rephrase this please

How do the interact with with people to make them client when they are new ! - This is where the capability of your product to solve an existing problem/ bring in efficiency or automation or innovation in an existing process helps.

P.S. Look up Intech50 I work with one of the cos. listed in the list of 2015.

Let me try, I work with a IT startup (not yet funded by outsiders i.e. not a single round of funding yet)

P.S. Look up Intech50 I work with one of the cos. listed in the list of 2015.
Well its not about the funds ! I just want to know about what kind of culture is followed at your working place.

If you can share pic's also would be a great help [emoji56]

Axeman really curious how was the hiring process process for startup. Did the contacted you directly or there was consultancy firm called you. Did they provided the equity when you joined the company.
Did the startup companies hired any freelancer from freelancer.com or elance.com for additional work on which you or your colleague don't have expertise or did they dump on you how to work on new technology.

Axeman really curious how was the hiring process process for startup. Did the contacted you directly or there was consultancy firm called you. Did they provided the equity when you joined the company.
Did the startup companies hired any freelancer from freelancer.com or elance.com for additional work on which you or your colleague don't have expertise or did they dump on you how to work on new technology.

Direct Contact. Via known people. We do not use any agency/ consultancy. Slows down hiring a lot. We have made wrong hires earlier, so we are more careful now.
Equity: Not yet. I have an odd remuneration plan, which is better for me now.
Freelance: None. We have hired people who used to freelance generally into full time employment with us.
Expertise: If we did not have the expertise, I doubt we would have been hired.

Well its not about the funds ! I just want to know about what kind of culture is followed at your working place.

If you can share pic's also would be a great help [emoji56]

Culture: We try to evolve based on our teams needs. Our HR policies are based off the general best practices followed in any organization, we tweak it based on our and our teams needs. Probably every 6-8 months there are changes.
Pics: No Pics.

Direct Contact. Via known people. We do not use any agency/ consultancy. Slows down hiring a lot. We have made wrong hires earlier, so we are more careful now.
Equity: Not yet. I have an odd remuneration plan, which is better for me now.
Freelance: None. We have hired people who used to freelance generally into full time employment with us.

Culture: We try to evolve based on our teams needs. Our HR policies are based off the general best practices followed in any organization, we tweak it based on our and our teams needs. Probably every 6-8 months there are changes.
Pics: No Pics.
Well that was professional answer [emoji4]

By the way why people don't share their work company on forums ? Is it bad ?

I don't mean you guy don't have expertise. I mean suppose you are android developer. if in the company there is requirment for ios programmer so do they hire new guy for new technology or they tell you guys to learn about the ios

I don't mean you guy don't have expertise. I mean suppose you are android developer. if in the company there is requirment for ios programmer so do they hire new guy for new technology or they tell you guys to learn about the ios

In this example, we would have hired someone who can do Android + IOS work.

We do not really encourage on the job training for essential stuff, only advanced skills as they are needed. Utilization target of the team is 70-75%. Rest of the time has to be spent in skill upgradation & research.

In this example, we would have hired someone who can do Android + IOS work.

We do not really encourage on the job training for essential stuff, only advanced skills as they are needed. Utilization target of the team is 70-75%. Rest of the time has to be spent in skill upgradation & research.
How is the hierarchy of your company?
Is it your company started generating money?
In what phase you got hired when the product was being developed or by the time they hired you the company was already making money?

In what phase you got hired when the product was being developed or by the time they hired you the company was already making money?
Bro ! your questions really make sense [emoji106]

Folks, it's good to ask questions and get answers but really this is just ONE person from one startup.

It's better you should search online for "startup culture", especially for Indian local startups, and read about not just the famous/successful ones, because majority of startups fail even after everyone in there works very hard and are very talented.

I'm not sure maybe a website like nextbigwhat.com is good to browser/explore as a starting point to further resources online for this topic?

1. Mostly flat for the business team. Dev, QA & Support Services teams have a traditional hierarchy.
2. Yes, been that way since soon after the business started. (I assume you refer to profit)
3. I was hired when the product was ready, company was already in profit, to get new clients for the new products and make more money. There was a small base of existing customers at the time which we have grown.

Folks, it's good to ask questions and get answers but really this is just ONE person from one startup.

It's better you should search online for "startup culture", especially for Indian local startups, and read about not just the famous/successful ones, because majority of startups fail even after everyone in there works very hard and are very talented.

I'm not sure maybe a website like nextbigwhat.com is good to browser/explore as a starting point to further resources online for this topic?

Thank you for making that clear Global Moral Police. We are neither famous or very successful 'yet'. But we obviously want to be the next billion dollar baby.

I would suggest explore Quora. You may find me there among the many many others answering such questions.

Failure: Well a LOT of my clients are startups as well, and many many many many fail. I see at least 8 new startups every month in Mumbai+Pune and 12 in Blr worth my time to talk. I see a similar number shut down every month as well. Failure is a part of running a startup. Assume at best 1 out of 25 will be truly successful. I know of a few startup cos. with 200+ staff, 3-4 rounds of funding, and a good brand image, shutting down overnight as well. It is considered a part of the learning process. We've lost money as well due to unpaid dues, so now we have changed our payment schedules as well - learning for us. It also gives us an oppty to pick up some talented QA or PHP etc type guy.

I just left after a 4-year stint at a startup. It's hectic, but I feel like I wouldn't have traded it for anything else.
There are pluses and there are minuses, as with everything.

"startup culture" is template that everyone follows. startup means every startup is different. IMO as a junior or fresher, it is better to work for a startup as it helps tremendously. After few years you dont want to work endlessly and other things start getting more important.

Well, Me and one of my cousin have a startup ourselves. Will try to explain your queries.

Hiring Policies : Till now we didn't involved any 3rd party. Generally we search in different job portals and freelancing portals and specially on LinkedIn. We didn't involved any freelancer yet, but we do have employees who used to do freelancing and now full time with us.

HR Policy : Well, we don't have such. It's really flexible. No In time / Out time monitoring. This way they even works after going home sometimes if delivery is need to be met.

Equity : No we don't offer equity as of now and don't plan to do so in near future. Generally we hire freshers who are skilled enough, eager to learn and have basic hands on experience at home rather than persons who mugged up and scored great.

Revenue : Well, right now you can call us a service based company. We two used to work as a freelancer in college and while doing the same we came across few client who involved us in some of their projects which is going to run for long time. So if you are talking about revenue this is what we have. And with this revenue we plan to launch our products in market. Right now we are working on two products beside those rotational tasks.

Tech Skills Expertise : No we don't impose to learn iOS on a Android Dev. We have separate people for these things.

Any more questions? I'd be glad to help :)

HR Policy : Well, we don't have such. It's really flexible. No In time / Out time monitoring. This way they even works after going home sometimes if delivery is need to be met.

Similar. We have started a biometric device for attendance purposes, as we are now using a SaaS admin & hr tool which is linked to it, this helps in tracking leaves very easily. But we do not have a attendance policy like Infy of 9.5 Hours.

Also, this is the 2nd startup I am working at. The first stint was 2006-2010 post which I moved to a multi billion $ MNC, and moved in to the current startup last year.

Well i was wondering how are the initial days of an IT startups ?

how do startup choose what product they wish to make and from where do they find help for their prototype ?
1. Difficult and at times worse. You don't need Google to know.
2. Depends. Successful startups build product which people love. Rest simply make products which they think people will like.
At best 1/10 startup barely survive. I believe its because of the competition, inability to adapt and evolve and small market. For eg. creating a new e-com site like SD, FK etc. IPO be damned, these people are barely surviving on rounds of investors' money. Will still take years to make profit. The founders may be rich but their companies are not, not yet anyway. So what will you do to make it successful? Snapdeal's own Shopo a new e-com site is app-based only but charges zero commission from sellers.

One thing i know is though in a few years SaaS and web startups in India will be extremely cluttered. and the bigger companies will buy off the smaller ones to keep the monopoly.

By the way why people don't share their work company on forums ? Is it bad ?
ads. j/k.

I'm not an expert nor am I involve in any start-up (not yet anyway), I simply explained what I learned from my months of research lol.

I think that anyone and everyone who is interested in startups should begin by reading the essays of Paul Graham http://www.paulgraham.com/articles.html They are really very informative.

I have a question, what if these "successful" companies suddenly want to quit? What if the founders say they don't want to do it anymore nor do they want anyone to handle their work? like just quit and dissolve the company for no reason. Don't ask why.
What will happen/be the outcome? I only have a theory.

Back