Anyone having Synology NAS Experience in India

6500 for PiBox kit; https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07XSJ64ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_7H04Fb50QXATS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
2TB external Seagate HDD; mine is almost 10 years old. You can add or reduce storage cost accordingly. Running Pi headless so no extra cost of Display or Keyboard and Mouse. Control it via Laptop or Android phone through VNC and/or SSH. Plex, PiHole, Deluge have their own Web UI so not much of an issue configuring/controlling them.
Pi is connected to Airtel Fiber ONT via LAN cable and all of them are hooked up to a 1KVA UPS for 24x7 operation.

The software is damn good and honestly that's why I got them in the first place. No other software comes close.

DS411 model - Power supply went down, got it repaired. Some it has some CPU fan issue. Very specific rotor locked fans are required - gotten them from Singapore now. Seems to have a SATA plate issue - not sure if that can be resolved.

DS1815 - Oh god - the Intel C2000 atom bug. Every single machine from that time has died without a certain 'resistor' fix. I applied the fix - but still no luck. Now Power Supply is down - on plugging a regular one - power supply is in - but the motherboard still won't post. Its a beast of a machine .. but currently I have 2 paper weights. I have been looking for a motherboard repairing company or person - but haven't come across a good enough person to get this out of the way
I have a C2758 motherboard which I RMAed to Supermicro California when C2000 news came out. Fortunately, it has been working well since few years after that.

There are a bunch of fixes listed at ServeTheHome. It will be useful to go through that thread.

I couldn't resist and ended up buying Synology's DS220+ It seems like a huge upgrade coming from WD's EX2 Ultra. And docker containers are fun to play with.

Could you specify what do you want to exactly do? As in what backups you want to store? This would allow us to give you an idea on what to buy or do a DIY. Also how many users.

The entry level Synology devices do not come with advanced features, but they can backup the data that you store on it to the cloud.

If you want to run docker and etc, I would suggest to pickup a RPi4 with 4GB and setup the same. For VMs, etc, instead move to Proxmox/ESXi or Windows 10 with Hyper V.

At the end of the day, i would instead suggest to use Google Photos for the photos clicked on the phone, Whatsapp will do backup to Drive or iCloud (dunno if latter is free, former is free for Android). For the laptops i think you can get away with 2-3 O365 Home Premium licenses, which will make it much cheaper if taken in sharing ~ 2.7K approx yearly. A RPI can easily do the NAS duties with external HDD.
+1
I too gave up on valuable document storage locally - I still do maintain a local cache on a NAS but feel it is far more secure than keeping a local only copy- regardless of the level of redundancy
For most users, photos and other documents are what require secure storage - which is a small enough storage requirement for a fairly cheap cloud storage model..

For local NAS storage of bulk media (MKVs?) and/or fiddling around with VMs, a hypervisor setup using ESXi or promos would cost about the same as a Synology but offer a lot more flexibility

Back