Anyone here in the Agriculture/farming field?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Do we have any members here who are into agriculture, farming and related fields? Friends or families will also do. Would be even better if you are BSc/MSc Agri or Botany students. I've got lots of questions. I've contacted many people locally and they couldn't help me out.
Also is there any active online agri board/fb groups in India? Not interested in international ones.

Thanks.

Do we have any members here who are into agriculture, farming and related fields? Friends or families will also do. Would be even better if you are BSc/MSc Agri or Botany students. I've got lots of questions. I've contacted many people locally and they couldn't help me out.
Also is there any active online agri board/fb groups in India? Not interested in international ones.

Thanks.
Are you from Farming background. Why don't you posted your questions here so that everyone can learn something new from them.

Are you from Farming background. Why don't you posted your questions here so that everyone can learn something new from them.
No man. Just a hobbyist looking to try out new things. Just want to get the proper knowledge wrt to India's condition before splurging in.
There are FB groups dedicated to Organic/Natural/Permaculture ways of farming. Search for Permaculture India Network on FB.
Thanks.

I want to do a variety of plants and fruits for which I'm looking for good quality seeds. Kind of like a mini self-sustaining forest garden with farm animals. It's more because of a childhood interest but would be good if I could make some profits from it as I'm getting tired of urban life. Wish I could do it at the commercial level but farms and lands here cost more than all body organs.
Also ever since thinking about this seriously I realized that building a gaming PC in the current market situation is like a grain of sand in the sea lol. There are a lot of things I need to buy including the mini-pick up vehicle and other materials. Btw I had no idea building a polyhouse would be so costly like damn. I don't know if it's true but I'm told that the plastic costs 300rs a kg or something.
We're currently negotiating for a small plot of land in the hills. If there was a way to finance a larger size I would. It's better to buy one large land now than buy it piece by piece over time. And because this one is small I want to do the vertical farming method. Again I expect the setup cost to be high because of the materials.
I've been talking to the village chief, who is also a relative, for years but he never really showed any interest in helping me out so now I'm doing everything myself. To be honest the problem here is people are a bit selfish and not really willing to help someone make money if they don't have get a good % of the spoils. Even govt employees in the fields won't help. I've visited the forest and Agriculture departments but they didn't give a damn about my queries. So I went to meet the Agri Minister but he was out and told me to come again after some days.
Anyway I'll create a YouTube channel and vlog the journey.

I want to do a variety of plants and fruits for which I'm looking for good quality seeds. Kind of like a mini self-sustaining forest garden with farm animals. It's more because of a childhood interest but would be good if I could make some profits from it as I'm getting tired of urban life. Wish I could do it at the commercial level but farms and lands here cost more than all body organs.
Also ever since thinking about this seriously I realized that building a gaming PC in the current market situation is like a grain of sand in the sea lol. There are a lot of things I need to buy including the mini-pick up vehicle and other materials. Btw I had no idea building a polyhouse would be so costly like damn. I don't know if it's true but I'm told that the plastic costs 300rs a kg or something.
We're currently negotiating for a small plot of land in the hills. If there was a way to finance a larger size I would. It's better to buy one large land now than buy it piece by piece over time. And because this one is small I want to do the vertical farming method. Again I expect the setup cost to be high because of the materials.
I've been talking to the village chief, who is also a relative, for years but he never really showed any interest in helping me out so now I'm doing everything myself. To be honest the problem here is people are a bit selfish and not really willing to help someone make money if they don't have get a good % of the spoils. Even govt employees in the fields won't help. I've visited the forest and Agriculture departments but they didn't give a damn about my queries. So I went to meet the Agri Minister but he was out and told me to come again after some days.
Anyway I'll create a YouTube channel and vlog the journey.
For trees, you will get good plants from the local horticulture office or a nearby agriculture university. They are the best sources usually, but the supply of each specific tree will be mostly once a year only.
Building a food forest is one of the main principles of Permaculture. Do read more about it and gain some knowledge.
Most agriculture subsidy is usually BS, especially if it is till 50%. For example, a govt installed polyhouse in Punjab/Haryana after 50% subsidy will cost you around 12.5L/acre and it will cost you the same if you get it done privately as well. If your state allows private building of polyhouse and then submitting bills to get the subsidy then nothing like it. In Himachal, the subsidy is 85%,so we get it done through govt only. But for my borewell connection, they allowed for receipt based subsidy. So check your state websites and meet local Block Agriculture officer for more details.

For trees, you will get good plants from the local horticulture office or a nearby agriculture university. They are the best sources usually, but the supply of each specific tree will be mostly once a year only.
Building a food forest is one of the main principles of Permaculture. Do read more about it and gain some knowledge.
Most agriculture subsidy is usually BS, especially if it is till 50%. For example, a govt installed polyhouse in Punjab/Haryana after 50% subsidy will cost you around 12.5L/acre and it will cost you the same if you get it done privately as well. If your state allows private building of polyhouse and then submitting bills to get the subsidy then nothing like it. In Himachal, the subsidy is 85%,so we get it done through govt only. But for my borewell connection, they allowed for receipt based subsidy. So check your state websites and meet local Block Agriculture officer for more details.
For Himachal, he has to be Himachali first. Outsiders won't get anything. Plus you have to invest first and subsidy comes later. Apples and Stone fruits take time, then it will also depend where and what are you farming.
We are into farming Apples, stone fruits, peas, potato, ginger, chilli's, tomato, garlic and now imported kidney beans from Italy and Mexico too.
Its not easy task and ROI is 2 to 3 years, money is secondary but primary is hard work and dedication all through out the year. Today also we do stair farming because all is done on hilly area and no tractors. Bulls, Oxes or small machines. I even got myself trained from Punjab Dairy Board located in Chatamli for Dairy Farming. The course was for free and 15 days.

You can always Sync up with your Horticulture Deptt for more details. Do floriculture rather and start small.

For Himachal, he has to be Himachali first. Outsiders won't get anything. Plus you have to invest first and subsidy comes later. Apples and Stone fruits take time, then it will also depend where and what are you farming.
We are into farming Apples, stone fruits, peas, potato, ginger, chilli's, tomato, garlic and now imported kidney beans from Italy and Mexico too.
Its not easy task and ROI is 2 to 3 years, money is secondary but primary is hard work and dedication all through out the year. Today also we do stair farming because all is done on hilly area and no tractors. Bulls, Oxes or small machines. I even got myself trained from Punjab Dairy Board located in Chatamli for Dairy Farming. The course was for free and 15 days.

You can always Sync up with your Horticulture Deptt for more details. Do floriculture rather and start small.
Which part of Himachal are you from bro?
I was giving example of Himachal to show the difference in subsidy structure between states. Also there are different kinds of subsidies. Not all subsidies require one to invest first. For example, for the polyhouse subsidy, one only has to pay the 15% component and the state gets the polyhouse constructed from one of it's vendors. For the borewell subsidy it was the other way around.

Which part of Himachal are you from bro?
I was giving example of Himachal to show the difference in subsidy structure between states. Also there are different kinds of subsidies. Not all subsidies require one to invest first. For example, for the polyhouse subsidy, one only has to pay the 15% component and the state gets the polyhouse constructed from one of it's vendors. For the borewell subsidy it was the other way around.
Shimla

Well, I always wanted to know about Agriculture from practical perspective but my father never told me jack about it so please bear with my stupid questions here, time to time.
1. How bhigha in an Acre?
2. Is Polyhouse necessary for "organic farming" ?
3. Can "organic crop" be raised on a land surrounded by parcels where all sorts of chemicals are used for high yield farming?

Well, I always wanted to know about Agriculture from practical perspective but my father never told me jack about it so please bear with my stupid questions here, time to time.
1. How bhigha in an Acre?
2. Is Polyhouse necessary for "organic farming" ?
3. Can "organic crop" be raised on a land surrounded by parcels where all sorts of chemicals are used for high yield farming?
1. Google it.
2. Not necessarily. People have done it on their Terrace too. Depends on your passion and commitment.
3. If a field has not been used for 10 Years, it will gain its organic nature back. Try to use as much manure, vermi-compost or simple cow-dung that you can use.

But what if all the fields in the vicinity of the land are using chemical fertilizers and pesticides and all?
So if it is going down the Water Table and you are using water from the same Water Table, then Yes. Also you have get the Soil tested to check how many parts per million or PPM is the amount of those Chemical or Urea.

Back