Anyone here using SmartTube for TV

Alright! I thought updating YT app somehow affects Smarttube as even I update all apps once a month or two as I have kept auto updates off for every app except smarttube.

Alright! I thought updating YT app somehow affects Smarttube as even I update all apps once a month or two as I have kept auto updates off for every app except smarttube.
what version of smarttube are you using ?
I never install beta but only releases were smart tube notifies to update app

Do you guys also update original YT app to the latest?
I don't have the original app installed on my CGTV 4K. Only use Smarttube with the old Amazon Bridge app that displays Smarttube results for Voice Search. Had to do it or otherwise family members ended up opening videos with ads on the original app.

I don't have the original app installed on my CGTV 4K. Only use Smarttube with the old Amazon Bridge app that displays Smarttube results for Voice Search. Had to do it or otherwise family members ended up opening videos with ads on the original app.
Did you meant any videos which used to get open using talk button of TV remote, opens smart tube app and plays video.
Instead of youtube?

Can you shred for more details if doing same

Ok so I'm using
1708701845457.png

Did you meant any videos which used to get open using talk button of TV remote, opens smart tube app and plays video.
Instead of youtube?

Can you shred for more details if doing same
Yeah, it displays the results like the normal YT app and opens the videos in Smarttube. The bridge app used to be for Fire TVs when they didn't have the YT app. It works with Google TV as well where the bridge app acts like the official app in listing the search results and then opens them in Smarttube.

Why beta, why not use the stable versions..
I had to shift as there was an ongoing issue with stable ver. last year and their github comments also weren't promising as many users faced similar issues forcing users to go for beta. As said, facing issues since last month. May be stable is now truly stable again.

Can you share the stable link as well ?
Yeah, it displays the results like the normal YT app and opens the videos in Smarttube. The bridge app used to be for Fire TVs when they didn't have the YT app. It works with Google TV as well where the bridge app acts like the official app in listing the search results and then opens them in Smarttube.
I wish I can root the tv and get rid of the official YT app but cannot.. Have disabled ftw but it keeps enabling sometimes.

Someone mentioned here better to be on v20.90 for an error-free exp. You shared a stable one which I assume is 20.90 which again is 13 month old release and releases thereafter are simply beta ones.

1708772806214.png

And you mentioned you are on latest version, can you check and confirm if the latest one is actually a beta as there's no stable release after 20.90.

If this can work on non-rooted Smart Tvs please share the required link or you can DM ?

Sure, it is this one.

Note that it will not work if you cannot uninstall the YouTube app as it replaces the same in order for the bridge to work.
On stock Android TVS stock applications don't get uninstalled especially YouTube.
Can only uninstall addon apps.

The only viable option is to somehow replace YT with smart tube or this atv smart tube as the default YT player but this is impossible as original YT cannot be uninstalled.

On stock Android TVS stock applications don't get uninstalled especially YouTube.
Can only uninstall addon apps.

The only viable option is to somehow replace YT with smart tube or this atv smart tube as the default YT player but this is impossible as original YT cannot be uninstalled.
On Chromecast with Google TV, the YouTube app can surprisingly be uninstalled as it is not a system app.

Otherwise, ADB uninstallation works on some Android TV versions and following is an easy way to do so.

Join a slot of YT Premium Family plan <400 rs/yr, easiest choice. SmartTube had issues: update notifications, occasional streaming errors, casting problems. Now, Dad uses official YouTube app on TV, no more calls for help. Hehe. :)

Join a slot of YT Premium Family plan <400 rs/yr, easiest choice. SmartTube had issues: update notifications, occasional streaming errors, casting problems. Now, Dad uses official YouTube app on TV, no more calls for help. Hehe. :)
We are part of the same family ;) but the single account I used for the household messed up the watch history, recommendations, subscriptions. Hence I keep SmartTube for the TVs and switched to Premium for personal use.

Back