Video Anyone used 'Android on Stick' to convert normal LCD TV to Smart TV ?

I have used once of these, though it was single core. Experience was so so with them. The biggest let was that they do not bitstream DTS and dolby digital even if the player plays them. Everything is transmitted in 2 channel stero

I am also in the same boat now...
Android tv stick or Chromecast

Any suggestions based on recent experience?

Chromecast is not really mature as such and is new tech. Also it does not allow you to play anything from your android device as yet (like apple airplay).
Android stick is full fledged thing, chromecast is not.

Chromecast is not really mature as such and is new tech. Also it does not allow you to play anything from your android device as yet (like apple airplay).
Yes... I found that I can cast/stream only certain apps like youtube, chrome browser from my mobile/tablet... (want to use ipad mini, iphone5, iphone4 with it)

In that case an Android stick would be more full-fledged... but only concern for me is operating it using a remote(most of the sticks come with a remote)... is it user-friendly?
Can we operate the stick via a wireless keyboard/mouse or mobile/tablet(like chromecast)...?

My Chromecast plays 720p MP4 files from my phone directly. I have been trying different file formats for the last 3 weeks or so. 1080p files buffer a lot. For other files, I have Plex on my laptop and cast to Chromecast through BubbleUPNP. Even with Plex, formats such as mkv & asf don't work.

My Chromecast plays 720p MP4 files from my phone directly. 1080p files buffer a lot. I have been trying different file formats for the last 3 weeks or so. For other files, I have Plex on my laptop and can choose files from it through BubbleUPNP and cast to Chromecast.

Have you got that cynogenmod andorid or some apps allcast etc ?
That still is not main stream as such. IMO.
Official support from Google would be great for directly phone to tv thing like apple airplay.

Have you got that cynogenmod andorid or some apps allcast etc ?
That still is not main stream as such. IMO.
Official support from Google would be great for directly phone to tv thing like apple airplay.
I have tried from my phone running Cyanogenmod as well as from my Nexus 7 on stock rom. I usually use BubbleUPNP or Solid Explorer for casting.

Reading all these comments, seems like Chromecast is very much limited in terms of supporting different formats....

On googling, found out that some android tv sticks support control via google tv remote app(available for android and iOS devices) but the iOS version is not available in the Indian itunes app store :mad:
Anyone used the 'F1' remote with the sticks (it's available in a combo on ebay.in) ?

Reading all these comments, seems like Chromecast is very much limited in terms of supporting different formats....

On googling, found out that some android tv sticks support control via google tv remote app(available for android and iOS devices) but the iOS version is not available in the Indian itunes app store :mad:
Anyone used the 'F1' remote with the sticks (it's available in a combo on ebay.in) ?

I can download if it is free as i have US iTunes account, i can then get the IPA copied to machine and send you. But yes then you will need to have jailbroken device with appsync installed to install that file.

The iphone 4 is JBed but not iphone5/ipad mini...

Also, have not bought any android stick yet... just tried to download the app...

Found out that Measy RC11 Air Mouse (2.4GHz remote with gyroscope) can be used easily with the android sticks (mainly mk808 stick)...

Its available in a combo on ebay.in for ~Rs.4.9k... (remote costs ~1.5k if bought separately)

anything new on these tv boxes?
There are Quad core boxes (and sticks) available for 4-5k now. I almost purchased one then dropped the idea as cheap laptops these days start at 16-17k even lower for netbooks) and can be used for a lot more than just tv.

There is the Intel NUC that you can try. Comes for 9.1k on Snapdeal. Get ram and hdd for 3-4k or if you have a laptop hdd lying around just use that. The ram is 1.35volts or something so check that part. Its a normal computer basically so you even install XMBC or just browse using a usb keyboard mouse. Its low power though, so don't expect a lot.

Else there are android boxes over here- > http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=android+box+quad+core&_sop=15

Back