Apple Event 2022 recap

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Source: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/live/apple-event-march-2022

Apple event 2022.png

iPhone SE 2022 starting $429 or 43,900rs for the 64GB model. $429 ~ 32,750rs.
Absurd Indian pricing as usual and they said this would be the "affordable model."

iphone se 2022.jpg

Mac Studio starting $1999.

mac studio.png

Mac Studio Display $1599

apple studio display.jpg

Apple M1 Ultra.

M1 ultra2 (1438 x 812).jpg

M1 ultra.png

Source: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/live/apple-event-march-2022

View attachment 128840

iPhone SE 2022 starting $429 or 43,900rs for the 64GB model. $429 ~ 32,750rs.
Absurd Indian pricing as usual and they said this would be the "affordable model."

View attachment 128841

Mac Studio starting $1999.

View attachment 128842

Mac Studio Display $1599

View attachment 128843

Apple M1 Ultra.

View attachment 128844

View attachment 128845
SE lineup is just apple off loading their old / unused chassis /s

I hope Apple continues this tradition of releasing SE phones with the same design, but I hate that it does not have a headphone jack. I am lost without a headphone jack.
The top end SE costs around Rs. 59k !!
1646850303131.png

I used to be anti-apple till a year or so ago, but I must say, their M1 has turned me very pro-Apple.

First is the performance. It's insane. The base level M1 itself equals i7. And now they have something 4 levels above it.

Then is the efficiency. These chips are ridiculously efficient. Mac Mini M1 draws like 30 watts of power under normal load.

And the result of both of these, the packaging. M1 Ultra is insanely powerful. Granted, the top end costs something like 6 Lakhs, but then t delivers all that performance in a package of 3 litres. Like, who can imagine a Ryzen 5950x and an Nvidia 3090 in a package the size of your Airtel HD set top box!

You missed the best product.
I presume you meant this as a joke but it is not a bad price tbh for someone who needs a long TB cable.
Hate it or like it, TB cables are expensive.
(Cheap USB-C cables are 480mbps, mid-priced ones are 5gbps while tb is 40gbps)

This is the first 3M TB cable I know of.
The cheapest TB cable on amazon.in will set you back by 3-4K for a measly 0.5-0.7m length - and that length is severely constraining.

Anything over that length requires active conversion.

I used to be anti-apple till a year or so ago, but I must say, their M1 has turned me very pro-Apple.

First is the performance. It's insane. The base level M1 itself equals i7. And now they have something 4 levels above it.

Then is the efficiency. These chips are ridiculously efficient. Mac Mini M1 draws like 30 watts of power under normal load.

And the result of both of these, the packaging. M1 Ultra is insanely powerful. Granted, the top end costs something like 6 Lakhs, but then t delivers all that performance in a package of 3 litres. Like, who can imagine a Ryzen 5950x and an Nvidia 3090 in a package the size of your Airtel HD set top box!
Same here, the M1 chip is such a game changer, I never wanted an apple product considering their prices but the M1 just makes me drool.

That being said though, it throttles way too easily on the iPad hindering most of it's gaming potential.

This is the first 3M TB cable I know of.
And it is the only option for a product of its kind so they can price it whatever they like. Longer length optical versions are available 5m onwards but they cost even more and do only data.
The closest competition would be USB4 -
This is relatively new tech so we could expect the price to go down as more manufacturers jump in.

Performance notwithstanding, I would be more concerned with native support for apps. So it is really great to see the progress made over the past year or so -

Last edited:
Performance notwithstanding, I would be more concerned with native support for apps. So it is really great to see the progress made over the past year or so -
I think that's a short term concern. Yes, when I started looking to buy the Mac Mini, I was also concerned about the performance of Python on it as that's my primary usage and some reports suggested Python is no faster on M1 than on the older i5 variants. But I also think that in a couple of years, most major software will be available natively for M1 as well. Till then, there's Rosetta.

It's definitely not a great time to be a developer of native apps though. The number of platforms have been increasing. It makes it that much more difficult to develop apps covering all platforms. Major developers like Microsoft just get away with developing apps for Windows only, which makes life more difficult for the users of multiple platforms.

Another concern is the lack of expandable options. Frankly, this does concern me. Especially given the fact that M1 Macs can't be upgraded by Apple either. So if you buy an 8 GB Mac, you're stuck with it forever. Or you're stuck with a small internal storage which may eventually not be enough. You might end up using an external storage through the thunderbolt port. While there's a good reason for not offering a SO-DIMM slot, there's no good reason for the lack of M.2 port.

Major developers like Microsoft just get away with developing apps for Windows only, which makes life more difficult for the users of multiple platforms.
Yes and they cover almost 80% of the market that way. It takes significant cost and effort to port, develop and maintain across platforms. Even then most of the general purpose and productivity apps are ready for M1.
More native apps would only help increase the adoption of a new platform.

Last edited:
Se 2022 = se 2020+A15 :(
Lets hope that the battery improves, though the bar set by se 2020 so damn low the battery HAS got to be better.
This!! Most of Indians who are jumping into Apple ecosystem as first time buyers are getting SE series phones. I agree that A15 is a powerhouse, but what is the use if the battery drains when it is pushed.
For the SE 2022, I still believe A14 and an upgraded battery with a slight increase in price over SE 2020 would have made the device more appealing.
The worst part, Apple won't tell you what battery capacities are they using.
Apologies for the video being in Hindi. But it gives good explanation about Apple gameplan in India.

Still using SE 2016. This model lineup rocks. Still updated to iOS 15.0. Small and functional. And can fit inside a pocket. This new one seems the face. SANS: face recognition.

Banned long time ago, now he is at hi-fi vision forum and roast Apple Tv.
Wait why banned? I didn't know lol
This!! Most of Indians who are jumping into Apple ecosystem as first time buyers are getting SE series phones. I agree that A15 is a powerhouse, but what is the use if the battery drains when it is pushed.
For the SE 2022, I still believe A14 and an upgraded battery with a slight increase in price over SE 2020 would have made the device more appealing.
The thing is they cannot change the battery without changing the size and I guess Apple didn't want to make a "big" SE. I would also prefer even A13 with better battery without compromising the camera.
The worst part, Apple won't tell you what battery capacities are they using.
Yeah I think some articles brought this up when Apple didn't reveal the battery of the 12 or 13 I've forgotten.

Price increase of SE was slightly disappointing. They could have at least released a non-5G version at the old price.

Or just kept the price unchanged. It's not like $399 is very cheap even for the US.

And of course, their formula of Dollar Price x 100 for India is also really annoying. Why make a budget phone, then price it into the premium segment in the most budget conscious market?

Still using SE 2016. This model lineup rocks. Still updated to iOS 15.0. Small and functional. And can fit inside a pocket. This new one seems the face. SANS: face recognition.

its still worth in 2022 local shop is selling replaced phone 16gb variant for 6700/- :D

Back