Apple introduces over-ear AirPods Max for Rs 59,900

At least do some proper research before quoting prices and specs. The latest 14 inch 10th gen i5 version is available for 65k in sales. And the 17 inch one is the actual gem available for around 90k in the market. They crammed a 17 inch 2k display in the same form factor of a 15 inch device and still weighs just 1.3kg and with extra slots to upgrade both ram and storage.
And the best part is that it comes with a 3yr warranty by default. I hate this about every brand including Apple that they provide only 1 year warranty for stuff that costs in lakhs. However, at least other brands have cheap extended warranty plans available whereas Apple's extended warranty is much more expensive compared to other brands.

I really like Gram from its looks and how much less it weighs. I was also eyeing that goofup by flipkart wherein the 17 inch was available for 70K. Many people got it. I was planning to buy the Gram 17 Inch because as you said, it is 17inch screen in 15.6inch body. But since the M1 dropped, I decided to get that. But if in future, I go away from Mac, I will definitely consider Gram.
Back in 2017 or so when first version came in of the Gram, I was in US and had opportunity to checkout the machine in Frys or something and felt very nice. But yes in the first version, the awkward camera placement was a downer.

Regarding the notch, to my limited knowledge a FP sensor ( not the underscreen ones) is a much better biometric authentication measure.
A big ass notch and emphasis on user experience at the same context is rathe weird, isn't it.
I had OP8 pro ( or was it 8T pro), the curved front panel one for brief period, yes it was terrible. But the 5T I used for a long time was fantastic...so is the Xiaomi phone ( K something Pro)..the FOD isn't terrible and the phone feels very snappy with very decent battery even with a properly treated MiUi.
Of course the camera isn't great ( but for a 350 EUR phone, it's terrific) but the screen with no stupid hole punches, notches and a freaking 3.5 TRS out with a very decent DAC/ amp is a huge thing for me.
And honestly I won't trade it for the 12 pro max.
I'd rather have the notch than ugly bezels making the overall form bulkier. If someone manages to put an underscreen sensor as good as a normal touch ID, I'm willing to let go of the notch and faceID.

k20 pro is a great phone for the price. nothing else. a 3 year old iphone x will blow it away on everything except notch and battery life.
Yes it was my personal laptop and in an emergency we don't care for a freaking laptop.
Regarding that review, that guy either got a faulty unit or doesn't know what he's talking about.
The touch pad is very decent ( not MBP pro level of course, but thankfully not huge like current MBPs)
I guess the word Pro does apply to Pros ( wild life photographers, music producers etc.) If you had any idea about those professionals, you should have known what exactly is done with laptops..literally thrown around, shoved down in a backpack often under heavy equipments.
No freaking body I know tosses around their *personal* laptop in a hospital with 50 people. why do you even need a 65k laptop to type a report? Why not just a cheap chromebook or windows laptop? If you don't care about a laptop then why the hell are you even talking about a laptop xD

mmmmm, thrown and shoved around ..... yourself said macbooks cannot take the abuse but it's a known fact many professionals use macbooks.... would they even buy it if it was so unreliable? *confused noises*
I really like Gram from its looks and how much less it weighs. I was also eyeing that goofup by flipkart wherein the 17 inch was available for 70K. Many people got it. I was planning to buy the Gram 17 Inch because as you said, it is 17inch screen in 15.6inch body. But since the M1 dropped, I decided to get that. But if in future, I go away from Mac, I will definitely consider Gram.
Back in 2017 or so when first version came in of the Gram, I was in US and had opportunity to checkout the machine in Frys or something and felt very nice. But yes in the first version, the awkward camera placement was a downer.
thank the almighty you didn't go for the gram. I assume you are a general user who likes good tech. Trust me on this, your upcoming Air will provide you 5x better user experience (exaggeration, but i can't help) than the gram. the build and design alone make up for it.

Last edited:
thank the almighty you didn't go for the gram. I assume you are a general user who likes good tech. Trust me on this, your upcoming Air will provide you 5x better user experience (exaggeration, but i can't help) than the gram. the build and design alone make up for it.

Yes, as far as personal laptop goes, I am super casual user. I use my work laptop for all work stuff and sometimes personal (as don't have personal laptop at the moment). Honestly, I don't even need the 90K Macbook Air. What I use laptop for can be done on a 20K laptop easily. But I always wanted to get the Air once so I have finally dropped the cash. Let's see how my experience goes with them. I am new to Mac OS too. Still haven't got in hand as Aptronix near my home says even the Nov pre booking haven't got. All this while Apple India says delivery in 2nd week of Jan which is more promising. But cannot cancel here since I won't get student discount + cashback. Not sure if I can just use that id card and such online with apple website to get 10% student discount and end up paying little more than offline.

But back in 2012, I bought the iPhone 4S thinking same, I was getting cheap deal on amazon US (I was in US at that time) and didn't think twice before buying and have been a convert to iPhone but I also use Fire HD 10 tablet which is android based. I just need my work done. But yes for personal phone, I would not like to deviate from iPhone, not because it is superior or I am fanboy or anything, just that I am used to it and don't want to change. Muscle memory will go for a toss as well.

@Muathaz, mate I don't only write reports. What I do actually is beyond the scope of this forum ( mostly statistical work)
In Spain I was working at the busiest covid hospital in Madrid..when lives are at stake, I don't care if my 2000 EUR gadget is used by 50 people if it's helping our work.
No, a 35-40k laptop won't last a day in my case scenario.
SPSS is not what we use, it's a pretty heavy proprietary software, can't run on a Chromebook.
A laptop is just a tool for me, I used that same laptop for mixing few bands' demo, which is available in Spotify/ Apple music etc. ( can't be done on a Chromebook)
You possibly never seen any mass emergency situation ( I hope you will never have to) where other's life is depending upon you.
I have used only Macs for more than a decade along with iphones and iPads. Left Apple because of the port situation and two broken screens and few liquid damage to logic boards. I still use an iMac for most of the audio works as their core audio is miles ahead of Windows. And after a decade I'm still much more familiar with OS X ( is it XI now? I didn't update the OS in the iMac for a long time as it will break my UAD plugins which costs more than the computer itself)
You expect people to use Mac when 99 percent of their work is done inside a browser and microsoft office, but suggesting me a Chromebook for very heavy statistical softwares and full fledged DAWs!!??
Hey, BTW, if I came across as an offensive person, really sorry... it's just a discussion...even I expected a sub par experience after switching to windows after years...more than 10 years!!
But it has not been bad..sure you get so many good softwares for free, but overall not bad all..the trackpads are pretty darn good now, the battery drainage issues ( with the lid close) is mostly gone. The non nonsense version of Windows 10 (? LTSC) is rather good.
Sure there are better options than Gram, but the 300 grams of extra weight matters, when you travel..A LOT!!

Last edited:
You are a genius or I'm an idiot. 3 years on Mac and iOS and you know all their pros and cons!!
You may be able to solve my problem(s)
1.How core audio in Mac OS solves the audio latency issues ( less than 10 milliseconds)so effortlessly when an audio interface is connected to a DAW in Mac even with high sample rate (512)? How does ASIO4ALL solves this issue so easily?
2. How the sleep images get corrupted in Macs but not in Windows?
3. Why iOS will never have a easily understandable file manager even after jail break?
4. Why audio producers hate Windows beside the abysmal latency? They now hate Macs too, but that's port related.
I am a knob, it took me a month to understand drum racks in Live and 3 months to understand the clip and arrangement views.
I've used Macs for a decade, iOS from 3GS to 6S... still don't understand the technicalities.
I don't know much in-fact anything about Audio Engineering, so in that case you can call me an idiot.

For iOS, I don't have much time to mess with file manager. My usage is very simple from phone, UI is very smooth and it gets timely updates. That's all I care about, my workhorse is my MacBook Pro 2015 which is what I care most about. Other devices are complimentary to it and adds up to the Ecosystem.

@Muathaz, mate I don't only write reports. What I do actually is beyond the scope of this forum ( mostly statistical work)
In Spain I was working at the busiest covid hospital in Madrid..when lives are at stake, I don't care if my 2000 EUR gadget is used by 50 people if it's helping our work.
No, a 35-40k laptop won't last a day in my case scenario.
SPSS is not what we use, it's a pretty heavy proprietary software, can't run on a Chromebook.
A laptop is just a tool for me, I used that same laptop for mixing few bands' demo, which is available in Spotify/ Apple music etc. ( can't be done on a Chromebook)
You possibly never seen any mass emergency situation ( I hope you will never have to) where other's life is depending upon you.
I have used only Macs for more than a decade along with iphones and iPads. Left Apple because of the port situation and two broken screens and few liquid damage to logic boards. I still use an iMac for most of the audio works as their core audio is miles ahead of Windows. And after a decade I'm still much more familiar with OS X ( is it XI now? I didn't update the OS in the iMac for a long time as it will break my UAD plugins which costs more than the computer itself)
You expect people to use Mac when 99 percent of their work is done inside a browser and microsoft office, but suggesting me a Chromebook for very heavy statistical softwares and full fledged DAWs!!??
Hey, BTW, if I came across as an offensive person, really sorry... it's just a discussion...even I expected a sub par experience after switching to windows after years...more than 10 years!!
But it has not been bad..sure you get so many good softwares for free, but overall not bad all..the trackpads are pretty darn good now, the battery drainage issues ( with the lid close) is mostly gone. The non nonsense version of Windows 10 (? LTSC) is rather good.
Sure there are better options than Gram, but the 300 grams of extra weight matters, when you travel..A LOT!!
Like I said, "If your use case is different, you should look at other options and compare it for "your" use case and not generally." You shouldn't assume other people are just like you.
lol I feel sad for all those product designers and engineers who strive hard to create beautiful functional designs. what a waste of life they are :(

"but suggesting me a Chromebook for very heavy statistical softwares and full fledged DAWs!!??"
I replied to your own comment saying "typing reports".

"You possibly never seen any mass emergency situation ( I hope you will never have to) where other's life is depending upon you."
I'm doing medicine and surrounded by a family full of doctors, but yeah I really hope we (and myself) won't have to deal with a pandemic again.

Hold on to that 2015 model as long as possible..it's a keeper. Hey, I'm never said you an idiot!!
Do you really evaluate a product only with the number of ports available? o_O
A 2015 macbook pro is really painfully slow to use now. You can't even scroll twitter on that thing! I had the same 2015 mbpr prior to getting my new one. It is statements like these make me lol!

It's not only me mate, all the audio engineering people are doing the same. No we don't actually scroll Twitter feeds on our laptops most days.
Only ports!! Do you know how many analog gears don't work with the dongle/ hub set up? So you're suggesting us throwing away those gears ( they altogether can buy you 5-10 new MBPs may be a lot more)
I would rather throw away all the modern laptops of all brands without one USB-A than my UAD interface and plugins.
BTW with good SSD, RAM and some common sense a 2015 MBP works very nicely for most people.
Since you're a medical student ( possibly under graduate in a government medical college...if private, I should stop right here) what exactly is your pro use beyond keynote and pages and that pdf reader in a Mac? Really want to know.
You should have told me your medical background earlier, we could have some fun with medicine.
As a medical student have you entered any covid CCU? Placed any ECMO line yet?
Looks like there are thousands of idiots like me.
Before the return of scissors keyboard in the 16 inch one , the 2015 model was indeed the last and most sensible Mac..
I'm not new to this Mac universe buddy, possibly one of the oldest and longest user of Mac in this forum.
Ok I get it, you're a medical student trying to flex and impress your classmates with a shiny new MBP... Congratulations!!
From your previous posts thought you're some pro in some fields, and was confused...now lagging Twitter feeds in a 2015 MBP cleared. alll the doubts.
Our backup 2014 MBA with 4GB RAM is scrolling it fine...must be our low feeds.

Last edited:
It's not only me mate, all the audio engineering people are doing the same. No we don't actually scroll Twitter feeds on our laptops most days.
Only ports!! Do you know how many analog gears don't work with the dongle/ hub set up? So you're suggesting us throwing away those gears ( they altogether can buy you 5-10 new MBPs may be a lot more)
I would rather throw away all the modern laptops of all brands without one USB-A than my UAD interface and plugins.
BTW with good SSD, RAM and some common sense a 2015 MBP works very nicely for most people.
Since you're a medical student ( possibly under graduate in a government medical college...if private, I should stop right here) what exactly is your pro use beyond keynote and pages and that pdf reader in a Mac? Really want to know.
You should have told me your medical background earlier, we could have some fun with medicine.
As a medical student have you entered any covid CCU? Placed any ECMO line yet?
Looks like there are thousands of idiots like me.
Before the return of scissors keyboard in the 16 inch one , the 2015 model was indeed the last and most sensible Mac..
I'm not new to this Mac universe buddy, possibly one of the oldest and longest user of Mac in this forum.
" No we don't actually scroll Twitter feeds on our laptops most days."
I said *even* Twitter. something as trivial as that.

"I would rather throw away all the modern laptops of all brands without one USB-A than my UAD interface and plugins."
Are you missing the point that you're talking about yourself and not another casual user? who the heck cares about UAD interface and plugins? VERY FEW people. If there are thousands of people like, there are millions of people otherwise.

"BTW with good SSD, RAM and some common sense a 2015 MBP works very nicely for most people."
oh yeah, cpu does not matter at all for a computer. xD

"what exactly is your pro use beyond keynote and pages and that pdf reader in a Mac? Really want to know."
wait wait, when did I tell you I'm a pro user? if at all my previous comments said anything it is about the user experience and simple things.

"Before the return of scissors keyboard in the 16 inch one , the 2015 model was indeed the last and most sensible Mac.."
And now it is not. :)

"I'm not new to this Mac universe buddy, possibly one of the oldest and longest user of Mac in this forum."
Technology changes everyday and it doesn't matter if you used an old version long back. nobody cares.

"Ok I get it, you're a medical student trying to flex and impress your classmates with a shiny new MBP... Congratulations!!"
MAAAAN are you serious? It is 2020 not 2010. A macbook is not a rarity these days. and for your kind info, at least half my class have macbooks and iPad pros and what not. Buying a puny lowest end mac does not earn me any "cool" points LOL xD

"Our backup 2014 MBA with 4GB RAM is scrolling it fine...must be our low feeds."
You sure do have much more patience than I. than most people. and yeah low expectations/standards for a computer. "4GB ram and works fine". End of debate. xD

No, it has just started Mac man. 4GB doesn't mean this is the only Mac I have.
Yes, I'm fully aware of the year...and I live in Europe, where you see Macs a little more than India.
I teach post grads and most of them use Ipad and Apple pencil. What does that prove?
You haven't answered your medical school history. What exactly are you doing with your "NEW Mac's" UI?
Taking running notes? Which subject?
A medical student in India doesn't even need a laptop for classes.
I've done MBBS, 2MDs, MPH and PhD in India without ANY LAPTOP. Even in Europe some of my students are doing the same.
Stay grounded boy, stay grounded....most music you listen to possibly has some UAD plugins in it during production.
Knowing nothing is fine, but half knowledge about anything is dangerous.
Did you learn ECMO in this huge break? Do you know there are softwares for Mac which can emulate that?
Learn the things that are useful. Mac vs Windows will take you nowhere. Love your Mac, great, there are fantastic medical software for it. Buy them and learn.
BTW UAD is one of the largest company which produces top notch effects for engineers ( audio) their interfaces takes off the load of the vst from the host computer in the interface itself...read about it...almost every producer use it in every studio.
So you're into some shady private medical school of India where most students carry Macs...sorry...now it's really the end. As a principle I don't argue with this group of doctors.

It was for a medical undergrad student in a Pvt medical college who NEEDS the latest Mac for Pro work. Pros have thicker skins.
Telling your medical education to another Medico is not exactly flexing. There are far better things to flex about.
Someone who can't run Twitter smoothly on a Mac/ expecting more than 4GB RAM in a 2013-14 MBA needs some sort or treatment.
Firstly he doesn't know if he's a pro or anti Apple.
Unique undergrad pro who doesn't need an usb A but need the latest Mac to take notes.

@puns , dear sir, the headphones in question only will work optimally with Apple products.
So someone wanting to get into that system must know about what's going on recently in Apple's world including their laptops and phones.. specially with the introduction of the M1 chip...pros and cons of it
YouTube is telling us that you can use 97 instances of convolution reverb in Logic !!
If it's true, everyone will sell the Mac Pros and buy these things. But these things are not only misleading but dangerous ( many will loose significant amount of incomes)
People here proudly saying a 2015 MBP can not browse Twitter.
It's a tech forum and these things including these headphones are closely related IMHO.
But I am not a expert on computer hardware, but know some Mac specific software inside out after using them for years.
Yes, personal attack is not acceptable, but certain people do insult you and you can tell from their posts that they have never really used a Mac or use it for browsing, MS office, emails only and encourage others to buy the latest and greatest. That's perfectly fine, but these sort of behaviour often leads to unfavorable situations ( few threads in market section)
As an old person who has / had been using Macs for most part of adult life feels some sort responsibility to at least give the youngsters a neutral perspective of things..rest is upto them..I'm no one to tell them what to do...just give suggestions.

Safari on Big Sur is not really optimised currently, Chrome is much better.

I don't really browse Twitter on my MacBook but just for the kicks I tried it today, indeed it was lagging in Safari. For Chrome no issues, really smooth.

See!! Apple released it too early!! Twitter on older Macs with OS before Catalina works just fine even in Safari on a very old Air.
Believe it or not, something is wrong with Safari with Big Sur even in M1 Air.
It's blistering fast in most webpages but struggles in few ( in the biggest Apple forum!!)
Logic usually works fine, but if you replace a stock EQ with a FabFilter one, it either crashes straightaway or just freezes...however works fine if you put the EQ2 in the first place without replacing anything.
These bugs are very strange and don't happen all the time. However everything works in Rosetta mode..but then it doesn't use the full power of the chip, 10 -15 tracks...lag...unless you freeze a few.

Last edited:
Same to you brother..Merry Christmas...well, I did my first MD ( medicine) from AIIMS New Delhi just for your information...
Nah...wish I was active for last 8 years...I came back here after 8 years FYI and started posting again from November 2019 infrequently and regularly from March ( during Spanish war, yes I was alone at that time and people here helped me)
You are trading on thin ice mate...I can just bury you with this medical thing...just be a little more cautious.
Merry Christmas!!
Well no wonder the superiority complex. Just like those Quora IITians. I hope you know that it doesn't make you more of a human and talk down other people. Wishing you a little more happy life ahead. Peace. Merry Christmas to you too.

If my previous posts offended you ( they did) I'm truly sorry.
Let's bury the hatchet and move on...TBH it's not superiority complex..but rather the opposite ( for not being able to afford anything at possibly your age)
I'm no one to judge medical education of another country, specially when I've no first hand knowledge of the country.
Sorry and peace!! Merry Christmas!!!
P.S By grace of God, I'm happy...the happiest I've ever been in my adult life. What's Quora IIT?

Last edited:
Question for Mac users:

Is there any Apple application (except maybe iTunes) that you find better than its Microsoft or open-source equivalent?

I bought my first Mac in 2005 because I wanted a unix machine that was a little easier to use than Linux. While it served my purpose, I wasn't impressed with any of the bundled software. I had to replace Safari with firefox, mail with Thunderbird and quicktime with VLC before I could use the machine properly. There was also a web page authoring application that I tried to use once. After a few hours, I abandoned it and wrote HTML using vi.

Maybe things are better now. I haven't used Macs since 2013 when my second one died. I still sometimes get the urge to buy one. I am trying to figure out if there are any upsides other than its looks and the bash shell (and maybe not having to constantly worry about viruses). My friends who use macs at work have all paid their microsoft tax (for Office).

Last edited:
The entire former iWork suite is free, it's definitely not as powerful as Microsoft office, but I had no problem using them ( specially keynote and Pages) for a ton of presentations and papers for journals.
However there were some occasional font issues with Keynote and MS PowerPoint ( specially if someone made part of a slide in PP on Windows and I edited them in Keynote)
Preview is a pretty good pdf reader ( not editor)
I absolutely loved Aperture ( not free but inexpensive) but Apple killed it, their Photo app is getting matured gradually, but definitely not as powerful as LR with huge number of photos, but it could manage my collection of arount 10-15 thousand photos rather easily. It's not a bad free RAW importer, basic editor and photo management software.
GarageBand is BRILLIANT!! It's easy and pretty powerful for a beginner. Commercial sucessful albums have been made entirely in GB.
Don't know much about video editing, but for me iMovie was more than sufficient. I haven't used many video editors except the free ones and FCPX.
Tried DaVinci Resolve ( free version) but found it extremely complicated.
Strangely iTunes is the only SW in Mac I really hate...and it's getting worse with every update.
The mail app worked ok for me, but now I can't live without Outlook.
Mac really shines in one department, the brilliant core audio. Almost all audio interfaces work straightway without any other complicated audio drivers like ASIO4all or the Magix version of it ( comes with Samplitude) with minimal audio latency.

Last edited:
Back