Apple introduces over-ear AirPods Max for Rs 59,900

Question for Mac users:

Is there any Apple application (except maybe iTunes) that you find better than its Microsoft or open-source equivalent?

I bought my first Mac in 2005 because I wanted a unix machine that was a little easier to use than Linux. While it served my purpose, I wasn't impressed with any of the bundled software. I had to replace Safari with firefox, mail with Thunderbird and quicktime with VLC before I could use the machine properly. There was also a web page authoring application that I tried to use once. After a few hours, I abandoned it and wrote HTML using vi.

Maybe things are better now. I haven't used Macs since 2013 when my second one died. I still sometimes get the urge to buy one. I am trying to figure out if there are any upsides other than its looks and the bash shell (and maybe not having to constantly worry about viruses). My friends who use macs at work have all paid their microsoft tax (for Office).
Parallels on an Intel Mac. You can run just about everything from any OS.
I still prefer Chrome to Safari, but have been thinking of making the switch. Adobe/Autocad/Office is pretty much at par with its windows counterparts. Lately I am noticing that iOS/Android have higher quality apps in certain categories than windows/mac. An M1 mac gives you access to iOS's extensive library of apps but takes away x86 virtualization.
With a mac you get something that just works and don't have to really worry about software breaking or drivers being incompatible. The trade off is you loose all future expandability of your system -

But in all honesty aside from the OS itself, I don't know if there's very many mac exclusive pieces of software that would warrant a switch -

Look at it this way (from some thread i saw on reddit a while ago)

Windows - Same 3rd party apps, not unix (3rd Party Apps Here Being stuff like Adobe/Office or Sketch etc)

Linux - unix, but not same 3rd party apps

macOS - both, and nice hardware

The entire former iWork suite is free, it's definitely not as powerful as Microsoft office, but I had no problem using them ( specially keynote and Pages) for a ton of presentations and papers for journals.
However there were some occasional font issues with Keynote and MS PowerPoint ( specially if someone made part of a slide in PP on Windows and I edited them in Keynote)
Preview is a pretty good pdf reader ( not editor)
I absolutely loved Aperture ( not free but inexpensive) but Apple killed it, their Photo app is getting matured gradually, but definitely not as powerful as LR with huge number of photos, but it could manage my collection of arount 10-15 thousand photos rather easily. It's not a bad free RAW importer, basic editor and photo management software.
GarageBand is BRILLIANT!! It's easy and pretty powerful for a beginner. Commercial sucessful albums have been made entirely in GB.
Don't know much about video editing, but for me iMovie was more than sufficient. I haven't used many video editors except the free ones and FCPX.
Tried DaVinci Resolve ( free version) but found it extremely complicated.
Strangely iTunes is the only SW in Mac I really hate...and it's getting worse with every update.
The mail app worked ok for me, but now I can't live without Outlook.
Mac really shines in one department, the brilliant core audio. Almost all audio interfaces work straightway without any other complicated audio drivers like ASIO4all or the Magix version of it ( comes with Samplitude) with minimal audio latency.
+1 to preview & garageband. Wish windows had a good good alternatives for these. Final Cut is also universally acclaimed-

Aperture has been out of development since 2014, and there is no such thing as iTunes on a mac anymore!:p Are you still on a really old build of mac os?

Yes, never upgraded to Catalina on the main iMac. I don't use Macs on a daily basis since 2019. My use is very much restricted to LPX when it comes to Mac these days and some of the really old plugins don't work with newer versions ( and there are projects with those... mostly free plugins, never upgraded)
But yes I do know about Apple music/ movies etc. since Catalina ( was it Catalina?)

Is this a joke or something?

Attachments

• IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 108
With regards to apple, I am neither a fanboy nor a hater. Leaning towards the dislike side of the factions mostly. I don't have experience with most of their products except for a 9th gen ipod nano. It was very unsatisfying and I sold it off a few months after purchase.

But at the risk of derailing the thread (apologies to OP). I want to link these two here:

https://www.apple.com/in/shop/product/MWUG2Z/A/pro-stand.

https://www.apple.com/in/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit.

So basically 95,000 rs for a metal stand and 69,000 rupees for a set of trolley wheels. The US equivalent prices are exorbitant by American standards even. And people actually buy these.

Either I'm just unfamiliar with production costs or humanity has taken a turn for the worst.

Either way, if anybody defends these prices for the items being sold. Im really dumbstruck and have no words to say. For real..no sarcasm intended.. I really am downright confounded by this.

I don't think any sane person would defend/defended apple for such funny pricing. as much as am an apple fanboy, outside of their main product lines, accessories and stuff are ridiculously priced and funny even. for eg a macbook air sleeve costs 18k inr. a freaking sleeve.

With regards to apple, I am neither a fanboy nor a hater. Leaning towards the dislike side of the factions mostly. I don't have experience with most of their products except for a 9th gen ipod nano. It was very unsatisfying and I sold it off a few months after purchase.

But at the risk of derailing the thread (apologies to OP). I want to link these two here:

So basically 95,000 rs for a metal stand and 69,000 rupees for a set of trolley wheels. The US equivalent prices are exorbitant by American standards even. And people actually buy these.

Either I'm just unfamiliar with production costs or humanity has taken a turn for the worst.

Either way, if anybody defends these prices for the items being sold. Im really dumbstruck and have no words to say. For real..no sarcasm intended.. I really am downright confounded by this.

Well explained by MKBHD.

Dude, I cant even...

The only word that i can relate to in Marques's video is around 01:35 - "insulting".

Regardless of the ecosystem they offer, regardless of whether i can even afford any of their products, all the charts, graphs, spec sheets, durability tests, switchover stories, functionality citations and value for money debates that people share about any of their products, I don't see any possible reason why i would even consider buying from a company (luxury or not) which is willing to insult their consumer base and treat them like mindless trash by putting out absurdly priced, non functional products like these into the realm of possibility. Even if it is for gimmicky media attention. Strictly just my opinion.

The other products marques mentions: Bugatti, Rolex, Gucci etc have atleast some functional / social prestige value attached to them. But a stand and wheels priced like this? I just don't see any reasonable justification.

And in the same vein, regardless of my opinion or anybody else's in any discussion on this or any other forum about any of their products, people will continue to buy them for better or worse and the company's already trillion dollar valuation will keep rising for better or worse.

I really don't want to start a flame war. people have enough negativity to deal with in their daily lives already. I am just going to leave it with to each their own.

Based on individual use / means, anybody is entitled to buy whatever product suits their needs without bias. Its all fine.

Peace. :)

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is trying to justify the price here. especially in this thread. but instead trying to understand if the apple headsets are worth the money. Hoping to see if the the in-house audiophiles have an opinion on sound quality, and other validating other usecases to see if the price is justified. rejecting these headsets just because they are priced at 60k inr should not happen here at TE because everyone knows that audio world is a money pit and there are far more expensive audio gear and stupid shit like gold plated hdmi monster cables.

Apple in the past history made some shitty products and eventually, consumer will decide if a product is a success or failure by making a decision to buy or not to buy it. steve jobs himself said that in

Dude, I cant even...

The only word that i can relate to in Marques's video is around 01:35 - "insulting".

Regardless of the ecosystem they offer, regardless of whether i can even afford any of their products, all the charts, graphs, spec sheets, durability tests, switchover stories, functionality citations and value for money debates that people share about any of their products, I don't see any possible reason why i would even consider buying from a company (luxury or not) which is willing to insult their consumer base and treat them like mindless trash by putting out absurdly priced, non functional products like these into the realm of possibility. Even if it is for gimmicky media attention. Strictly just my opinion.

The other products marques mentions: Bugatti, Rolex, Gucci etc have atleast some functional / social prestige value attached to them. But a stand and wheels priced like this? I just don't see any reasonable justification.

And in the same vein, regardless of my opinion or anybody else's in any discussion on this or any other forum about any of their products, people will continue to buy them for better or worse and the company's already trillion dollar valuation will keep rising for better or worse.

I really don't want to start a flame war. people have enough negativity to deal with in their daily lives already. I am just going to leave it with to each their own.

Based on individual use / means, anybody is entitled to buy whatever product suits their needs without bias. Its all fine.

Peace. :)
Couldn't agree with you more,especially what you said below. It is so humiliating to end up purchasing something from companies that treat it's customers like children. This thread was started exactly for the ridiculous price and how little the company is providing for that price

Code:
don't see any possible reason why i would even consider buying from a company (luxury or not) which is willing to insult their consumer base and treat them like mindless trash by putting out absurdly priced, non functional products like these into the realm of possibility.

Have you seen this "unboxing apple $129" luxury" cable video". Its epic how he does the whole video without speaking a single word

Last edited:

When a company is selling something like this, it is just an exercise to check the power of their brand name.
BTW, none of the fashion brands offer anything extra-ordinary either but they still charge unbelievable amounts of money for their products. It's just that you have normalized those experiences whereas this was Apple's first foray into selling something simple for an absurd amount of money. Those who have the money to spare, will buy it and those who don't, won't.

When a company is selling something like this, it is just an exercise to check the power of their brand name.
BTW, none of the fashion brands offer anything extra-ordinary either but they still charge unbelievable amounts of money for their products. It's just that you have normalized those experiences whereas this was Apple's first foray into selling something simple for an absurd amount of money. Those who have the money to spare, will buy it and those who don't, won't.
You missed a big set of users: Most people who have the spare money won't buy these (comprised of actually rich or/and technically savvy or/and or/and financially savvy or/and non-ios world). Actual rich people I know don't like Apple and find it too gaudy and cheap to call it a luxury brand. It is more like an aspiring luxury brand that is neither luxury nor vfm. The so-called luxury piece of it appeals to those who can't really afford luxury and want to have a sense of luxury

Last edited:
You missed a big set of users: There are a lot of those who have the money and won't buy these. Actual rich people I know don't like Apple and actually find it too gaudy and cheap to call it a luxury brand. It is more like an aspiring luxury brand which is neither luxury nor vfm
weird. most rich people I know use only apple products. iphones, ipads, apple watch, airpods, macbooks. very few people who are lured by samsung ads go for samsung flagships. that's about it. talking about phones only in case of samsung.

weird. most rich people I know use only apple products. iphones, ipads, apple watch, airpods, macbooks. very few people who are lured by samsung ads go for samsung flagships. that's about it. talking about phones only in case of samsung.
subset of NOT(comprised of actually rich or/and technically savvy or/and or/and financially savvy or/and non-ios world)

You missed a big set of users
I corrected this. tech savvy people are much lesser in number compared non- tech savvy. rich or not rich.

for your kind info, most real rich people don't have time to go on the internet and see what gadget is good for what or how they fare in comparisons. They just want something that works and they buy apple for this reason. add most working professionals in this category too.

I corrected this. tech savvy people are much lesser in number compared non- tech savvy. rich or not rich.

for your kind info, most real rich people don't have time to go on the internet and see what gadget is good for what or how they fare in comparisons. They just want something that works and they buy apple for this reason. add most working professionals in this category too.

Your definition of rich seems to be upper middle class vs upper class. Most rich people don't shop for themselves, they have people who take care of that . Those in my family and whom I know as I said find this apple for luxury kinds thing very gaudy. If you think spending even 10 lakhs on gadgets is termed as rich, you still need to understand the difference between aspiring rich and actually rich people.

It is just in your own mind that you've assumed that only apple just works and only apple makes quality. Those who have the knowledge and are unbiased (those who take care of buying) and open to all products.

Back