Apple introduces over-ear AirPods Max for Rs 59,900

Your definition of rich seems to be upper middle class vs upper class. Most rich people don't shop for themselves. Those in my family and whom I know as I said find this apple for luxury kinds thing very gaudy. If you think spending even 10 lakhs on gadgets is termed as rich, you still need to understand the difference between aspiring rich and actually rich people.
ahh right. i don't personally know anyone so rich that they don't shop for themselves.

TIL a person who spends 10 lakhs on gadgets is poor.

You missed a big set of users: Most people who have the spare money won't buy these (comprised of actually rich or/and technically savvy or/and or/and financially savvy or/and non-ios world). Actual rich people I know don't like Apple and find it too gaudy and cheap to call it a luxury brand. It is more like an aspiring luxury brand that is neither luxury nor vfm. The so-called luxury piece of it appeals to those who can't really afford luxury and want to have a sense of luxury

People buy handbags costing as much as cars, just because they carry the name of a certain brand. Now if you don't consider such people 'actually rich', then I have nothing more to say. And I am not even going into watches and art.

Also, you always miss my point. I am not saying the same people will also buy these Apple products. I am saying that just like people who spend unbelievable sums of money for simple things just because of a brand, there can be other people who like to splurge on Apple products, despite them being obscenely expensive for what they offer. This is known as the power of a brand name and what companies spend years building up to.

People buy handbags costing as much as cars, just because they carry the name of a certain brand. Now if you don't consider such people 'actually rich', then I have nothing more to say. And I am not even going into watches and art.
If they bought such bags and watches by themselves sorry they are not rich. if the watch is only 2-3 lakhs sorry they are not rich either.

couldn't help sorry.

Also, you always miss my point. I am not saying the same people will also buy these Apple products. I am saying that just like people who spend unbelievable sums of money for simple things just because of a brand, there can be other people who like to splurge on Apple products, despite them being obscenely expensive for what they offer. This is known as the power of a brand name and what companies spend years building up to.

You always miss my point too. All I'm saying is that 60k products are too cheap to be termed as luxury by any stretch. Having just 60k as disposable income is a very very low barrier for terming anyone rich.

Being rich doesn't have any correlation with preference for apple as actually rich people have much much more disposable income than the amount required even if you buy all apple products and throw it every year. They can afford to buy apple, Samsung, jewelery phones, mclaren phones, gold bite phones etc. All of these are the same to them, insignificant amount of money. They are ashamed to call an iPhone or headphone as a sign of wealth.

As I said these are too cheap to be luxury and too expensive to be vfm. Neither here nor there.

ahh right. i don't personally know anyone so rich that they don't shop for themselves.

TIL a person who spends 10 lakhs on gadgets is poor.

TYL a person who spends 60k on headphones is not rich , just aspiring rich or wants to look like/pose as a rich person.

You always miss my point too. All I'm saying is that 60k products are too cheap to be termed as luxury by any stretch. Having just 60k as disposable income is a very very low barrier for terming anyone rich.

Being rich doesn't have any correlation with preference for apple as actually rich people have much much more disposable income than the amount required even if you buy all apple products and throw it every year. They can afford to buy apple, Samsung, jewelery phones, mclaren phones, gold bite phones etc. All of these are the same to them, insignificant amount of money. They are ashamed to call an iPhone or headphone as a sign of wealth.

As I said these are too cheap to be luxury and too expensive to be vfm. Neither here nor there.
Did you check the post I had quoted in my post. We were not talking about these 60k headphones. We were talking about the insanely priced Mac Pro Wheels and Stand, which no one in their right mind would buy, unless one is an extremely rich Apple fan.

As usual the topic moved away from airpod max to other nonsensical topic !!!

Because someone has person grudge with Apple as if Apple personally has hurt them somehow or is forcing them to buy their supposedly expensive Non VFM products.

Having an opinion that some brand is not VFM and mentioning it once or twice is ok but taking every opportunity and every pro Apple reply / thread and trying to mention something negative so as to prove it is bad product / company is some serious kind of hatred towards a brand.

I don't use android devices as primary and have no opinion about them so I rarely even participate in android devices related threads. I don't hate them and I do use them.

I had an opportunity to try a pair ( the strange green one) it is HEAVY and really build with care.
The weight disappeared after putting them on, but came back after walking a few steps.
The ANC is SUPERB...if you put it on without any music in 5 minutes you will feel strange and the negative pressure like thing is EXTREMELY strong.
I only had it for less than an hour...so couldn't judge the sound quality ( and was on my android phone, as I'm poor) works like any other good BT headphones.
But happy to report that it doesn't sound like XM3/XM4 with the massive amount of sloppy bass. It sounded rather clean with plenty of highs... something like PXC550 with slightly more bass extension and much better/ stronger ANC.
I don't understand why it's being compared to XM4 everywhere, of course it sounds significantly better than XM4 ( Almost all decent cans will win in SQ when compared to XM4 by people who have heard multiple headphones)
The APMs are DSP corrected heavily but thankfully not in the Sony's direction, but to a delightful sound signature with adequate fast bass and plenty of controlled sparkles without drowning the mids.

@red dragon

I guess the max may also really sell well once people start checking them out and use it. I don't use ANC and don't really need them but definitely there is audience out there.

It's like the Airpods when they came out, it was made fun of like qtips sticking out of ear and such but eventually they have started a trend and many of the existing iphone users buying one. I myself considered but didn't feel like spending upward of 10K on something that will have its battery destroyed in 2 years. As reselling them is also difficult due to the nature of product.

I had an opportunity to try a pair ( the strange green one) it is HEAVY and really build with care.
The weight disappeared after putting them on, but came back after walking a few steps.
The ANC is SUPERB...if you put it on without any music in 5 minutes you will feel strange and the negative pressure like thing is EXTREMELY strong.
I only had it for less than an hour...so couldn't judge the sound quality ( and was on my android phone, as I'm poor) works like any other good BT headphones.
But happy to report that it doesn't sound like XM3/XM4 with the massive amount of sloppy bass. It sounded rather clean with plenty of highs... something like PXC550 with slightly more bass extension and much better/ stronger ANC.
I don't understand why it's being compared to XM4 everywhere, of course it sounds significantly better than XM4 ( Almost all decent cans will win in SQ when compared to XM4 by people who have heard multiple headphones)
The APMs are DSP corrected heavily but thankfully not in the Sony's direction, but to a delightful sound signature with adequate fast bass and plenty of controlled sparkles without drowning the mids.
@red dragon

Thanks for your unbiased thoughts, always glad to hear them.. In case you do get a chance to test out the sound quality properly, please do provide your thoughts then too..

Based on the 1 hour testing would you say is it worth 60k? are there other sennheiser/other bt headphones that would be better vfm?

Last edited:
I only could compare the APM to only pxc550 II only as they are the only wirless one we have with us ( do have hd 4.5 but that costs 99 EUR and not really a competition.
However one particular setting in the Sennheiser app make the PXC sound pretty close to APM ( in director mode, bass settings to rumble and reverb to near)
In this setting, they are practically identical ( with a significantly more ANC with APM)
For 60k ( Indian pricing) I will NEVER buy for myself.
But for around 600 EUR people are buying them ( it was completely sold out by last weekend)
Of course it will sell very well in US and EU. In fact B&O sells even higher priced BTNC headphones ( H95) and it sounds better than H95.
But B&O is infamous for their ridiculous pricing for average products. H95 are really bad sounding headphones with great build quality.
All these headphones are typical consumer grade products, you can't monitor with them even casually. But for content consumption they are good.
Personally I have minimal interest in these headphones. In wireless world the Panda THX and pxc550 II ( in usb wired mode) are the only two which can be used in production for emergency situations.

Last edited:
I only could compare the APM to only pxc550 II only as they are the only wirless one we have with us ( do have hd 4.5 but that costs 99 EUR and not really a competition.
However one particular setting in the Sennheiser app make the PXC sound pretty close to APM ( in director mode, bass settings to rumble and reverb to near)
In this setting, they are practically identical ( with a significantly more ANC with APM)
For 60k ( Indian pricing) I will NEVER buy for myself.
But for around 600 EUR people are buying them ( it was completely sold out by last weekend)
Of course it will sell very well in US and EU. In fact B&O sells even higher priced BTNC headphones ( H95) and it sounds better than H95.
But B&O is infamous for their ridiculous pricing for average products. H95 are really bad sounding headphones with great build quality.
All these headphones are typical consumer grade products, you can't monitor with them even casually. But for content consumption they are good.
Personally I have minimal interest in these headphones. In wireless world the Panda THX and pxc550 II ( in usb wired mode) are the only two which can be used in production for emergency situations.
And to boot the pxc ii is available for 18-19k without any offers right now on Amazon. With some tracking and offers one can buy it for just 15k-16k.

That is a price difference of 3.25 - 3.5 times , 19k vs 60k, for headphones that sound just identical or marginally better at best (albeit with significant better anc) .

Whichever way you look at it that is a very very hard sell for anyone open to options and not going for just one company

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion. Please don't resort to derogatory remarks or abusive language, if you don't agree.

Last edited:
And to boot the pxc ii is available for 18-19k without any offers right now on Amazon. With some tracking and offers one can buy it for just 15k-16k.

That is a price difference of 3.25 - 3.5 times , 19k vs 60k, for headphones that sound just identical or marginally better at best (albeit with significant better anc) .

Whichever way you look at it that is a very very hard sell for anyone open to options and not going for just one company

Disclaimer: This is just my personal opinion. Please don't resort to derogatory remarks or abusive language, if you don't agree.
It is not for us. There are audiophiles and even casual listeners who own headphones worth 1L to 2L and even more. I never imagine buying anywhere close to those prices !!

For 550$ it is better than xm4 or bose qc series.. Translation to 60k inr is ridiculous though.. blame import duties and other taxes to an extent

I have my eyes on AKG K371 BT and will make peace with it [emoji106]

It sounds significantly better than XM4, and has better ANC. How comfortable is it? Do you think it's worth at 40-42k for someone already in the ecosystem? Does it sound more airy/open than XM4?

appreciate the unbiased inputs.

P.s: no plan to buy one, and can't afford too. just want to know how good/bad it is. Didn't even watch any of the proper reviews so far.

I request people to not sh!t on apple seeing Indian prices. Apple always adjusts for currency and also thanks to our government taxes, the prices are so high in most Apple products. I understand someone may give example of OnePlus saying their price converted to USD is less than US price and that may be true. But we all know apple is a company who doesn't do that. They have no reason to subsidize prices in any country to make people buy it. They very well know people desire their products.
I am also not the target audience of these, heck I don't even buy the QC-2 or the Sony XM 3/4 ones (even when they are on sale for under 20K INR) as I just don't like headphones.

At the end of day, everyone knows Apple products are relatively expensive and offer less features than cheaper counterparts and they make horrible decisions like removing headphone jack and now charger and I hate even more that other manufacturers follow suit in these (esp after making fun of apple). If an Apple device is what works for you, with all its limitations and lesser freedom, by all means go for it. Ultimately Value (not price) is relative.

It is not for us. There are audiophiles and even casual listeners who own headphones worth 1L to 2L and even more. I never imagine buying anywhere close to those prices !!

For 550$ it is better than xm4 or bose qc series.. Translation to 60k inr is ridiculous though.. blame import duties and other taxes to an extent

I have my eyes on AKG K371 BT and will make peace with it [emoji106]
I have heard great things about it too. But beware of the QC issues. Some liked the K361 BT too.
Unless you absolutely need something wireless, stay wired. For 8.5k in India, you can buy HD25 . I bought them with double the price, even at 17-18k they were absolutely phenomenal.
You can spend buy Focal headphones for 50k-1L INR, but HD25 are more detailed. Though focal has significantly better soundstage, comfort, and almost similar details.
You can buy Sennheiser's own hd800s for around 1.5 L but HD25 will give you more details.
A sensible combination within budget is a HD560 with a tube amp ( or Topping NX4/fiio Q3 on the go)
Another very reasonable upgrade is something cheap like M40X with fiio btr3k.

Apple products are now getting more expensive. It's not just about the tax, the pricing itself is considered high in US.

The longevity is somthing that works for it:
I bought my iPhone X back in May 2018 for ₹84,000, still using it. Gonna use all of 2021 and then see what I should do.
Still using MacBook Pro 13 (mid-2012) bought in Feb 2015; with an SSD upgrade it does magic.
Over the years, I got iPads, iPod Touch (bought when I didn't have iPhone), Apple TV, AirPods, Apple watches.

But now things are getting even more expensive. And Apple smartly filling the price gap with lower varients so that no one feels left out. But the point is you were earlier spending 70-80k for the flagship, now in just a few years 1.10-1.2L for the flagship (both mid-spec models). Apple is making a lot of products in India but still pricing is going down by much.

It sounds significantly better than XM4, and has better ANC. How comfortable is it? Do you think it's worth at 40-42k for someone already in the ecosystem? Does it sound more airy/open than XM4?

appreciate the unbiased inputs.

P.s: no plan to buy one, and can't afford too. just want to know how good/bad it is. Didn't even watch any of the proper reviews so far.
Nah!! The sound is definitely not even close to THX Panda.
XM4 is a very bad headphone when it comes to sound quality or comfort.
It's difficult to even imagine Apple would make something that sounds worse than XM4.
Moreover, I used it for a very short time, they were comfortable sitting down, difficult to walk around with
The particular one I auditioned had some weird issues also, the very strong ANC was getting confused with sudden shrill sound ( a baby was crying nearby) and it made a very strange sound for few seconds ( extremely uncomfortable sound)
But the sound in general was clean, not congested like XM4 ( But XM4 can not be a standard, it sounds absolutely horrible!!)

I have heard great things about it too. But beware of the QC issues. Some liked the K361 BT too.
Unless you absolutely need something wireless, stay wired. For 8.5k in India, you can buy HD25 . I bought them with double the price, even at 17-18k they were absolutely phenomenal.
You can spend buy Focal headphones for 50k-1L INR, but HD25 are more detailed. Though focal has significantly better soundstage, comfort, and almost similar details.
You can buy Sennheiser's own hd800s for around 1.5 L but HD25 will give you more details.
A sensible combination within budget is a HD560 with a tube amp ( or Topping NX4/fiio Q3 on the go)
Another very reasonable upgrade is something cheap like M40X with fiio btr3k.
Do you think HD25 has more details then Etymotics? I like it's signature too, can HD25 compare with full size open backs like HD6XX or Sundara for example.

Back