Apple launches 'iPad'

its just a bumped up ipod touch

i dun think in India there will be a huge demand for it ...

it will cater only to a specific segment ...

in the US maybe it'll fare well but IMO not in India

anyways looks good just as all apple devices

phoenix844884 said:
@Smith

You are right man. AT&T was the biggest bummer of all. As for the typing, id I can type pretty quick on the iPod Touch, then this should be better, even if slightly.
I am really disappointed about them going to AT&T again. Does this mean that there will be no deals with Verizon at all? Even for the iPhone?
I was excited about the device in general, but the short comings of this "new" device are there for all to see.

No mention about cameras, neither front facing nor back.
AT&T 3G. Sucks.
No multitasking. The whole point of a tablet is lost when they don't put multitasking onto the device.

The operating system is the sole thing that is keeping me interested in this thing.

Nope, it's easy to type on the iPhone because of the small form factor. Your fingers have to cover more real estate on a 10 inch screen. Typing will be slower unless the only way you can type quick on this thing is if you have it on your lap in landscape mode.

Also no HD output, with 480p being max.

No access to file system (that might change with someone "pad"breaking/Jailbreaking it)

Fools have released an optional Camera kit for it. Was it too hard to incorporate a small camera in the device?

This will sell like hotcakes

and

Apple will launch a New iPad 2 with camera and brighter screen in 1-2yrs and that will also sell like hotcakes...

steve jobs got it wrong big time this time.
the biggest disadvantage is the size.who would want to lug it around?.
if he had made it a foldable device maybe it would have clicked.so much for the apple hoopla.
pretty disappointing after so much hype.I think this was the biggest hype ever for a tech gadget.
my only hope now is for the asus e reader which should retail at around 150 dollars.
as always apple big on hype low on substance.

my 2 cents.
cheers.

phoenix844884 said:
Also no HD output, with 480p being max.
No access to file system (that might change with someone "pad"breaking/Jailbreaking it)
Fools have released an optional Camera kit for it. Was it too hard to incorporate a small camera in the device?

I don't think the camera kit allows an iPadder to take photographs over USB. It's just a tool to import snaps from your digital camera.

Plus, if it really did have an integrated camera, it'd look quite silly to hold that thing up in the air.

Compare it to a ebook reader and its a decent enough deal.

KindleDx has never impressed anyone and as a pdf, full colour reader with lot of other capability, this is a KindleDx killer (yes inspite of the latter having eink)

Pretty aggressive pricing I must say. It runs iPhone OS 3.2 and I would definitely believe that with 4.0, this baby would get multi-tasking officially. 1 GHz proccy and no multi-tasking is strange. In any case, jailbreakers wouldnt have any issues with this. It has huge,huge potential if and when it gets jailbroken.

No ones mentioned yet that the screen resolution is quite cool - 1024X768..

Also, someone mentioned only 480p output. That is not correct, it will be able to output 1024X768 or 720p using their dock to VGA converter..

I have been following the rumours related to the Apple tablet for some time, but It turns out to be quite a disappointing release on many fronts.

The foremost question is "What is the intended target user base for this device?" Lets just dissect the spec's

It weighs only 0.7 Kg, but it also has a 9.7" screen, so its not a pocketable device and at best can be considered as a net book or UMPC competitor with a touch screen. The lowest model costs $499 and comes with a custom 1 GHz processor and 16GB of flash storage. We have phones with 1 GHz processors and 16GB of flash storage is next to nothing these days. My PSP has 16GB of storage and I feel the need to upgrade it.

On the other side a typical Net book costs $399 and comes with a 1.7GHz Processor, 1~2GB RAM and a 160GB HDD and the user can run Windows, Linux or even make it into a Hackintosh, but weighs 1.5 to 2 times as much, but still not unreasonable for the power offered.

Personally I feel iPad is a terrible combination of hardware. If they wanted a light weight and portable device, they should stick to a 5~7" screen getting even more battery life in the process and also increase the storage to a more practical 32GB/64GB (may be add a memory card slot at least) while keeping the price at a sane $499~599 level. If they want to compete with Netbooks on the functionality front, they need to pack more computing power into the device.

With its current specs, its usability is little more than that of a typical smart phone (and in many ways restrictive like the iPhone) only that this one comes with an unhandy 8.9" screen and a bulky 0.7Kg.

At best the $499 models works out as an eBook reader (which Saffin already mentioned). Maybe play audio as well, but video, I don't know how may vid's you can put on the device in its 16GB storage at a quality level that looks nice on its 8.9" screen. The other models definitely need work to deserve the price tags.

I think they are targetting the super rich ebook reader users. Like for e.g. check out the NYTimes app they have on the homepage of their website. Or even the iBook app that they just launched.

Basically its just an iPod touch with a bigger screen. Its meant for iPod touch buyers who wouldn't mind paying a little extra and who want a bigger screen, probably if they wanna hook it up in their car or carry it while travelling for watching movies. Thats all its good for.

I would buy it and Use it as touchscreen netbook for daily tasks like Viewing Photos,Videos, Browsing,Email etc.maybe read books.

But it won't replace your Main PC/Laptop nor mobile Phone. The fit for this the netbook market.

udayrulz said:
Will kick e-book reader's / kindles in the nuts in terms of sales .

Costs 2.5 times as much (629$) (the Kindle comes with a 3G connection and no monthly fee). And more importantly, books seem to be priced at 15$ as opposed to 10$ for the Kindle. I don't know if this is a Kindle 'killer'.

whatsinaname said:
Costs 2.5 times as much (629$) (the Kindle comes with a 3G connection and no monthly fee). And more importantly, books seem to be priced at 15$ as opposed to 10$ for the Kindle. I don't know if this is a Kindle 'killer'.

Comparing to the wrong kindle there.

You get to do all of what Kindle does in colour. Initial reviews say the experience of "iBook" is exceptional. Add to that the fact that you can do some other on the move tasks better, its gonna give Amazon a run for its money.

Or amazon can just decrease the prices...

As a replacement to a PC, this is a fail. Don't think their intention was to target that audience. Steve should have avoided his netbook mumbo jumbo :lol:. Having said that, i am sure they will add the multitasking bit to this. Its queer they haven't added. I just assumed it was there only to find it wasn't.No flash support even now, is unpardonable. :no:

Safin said:
Comparing to the wrong kindle there.

You get to do all of what Kindle does in colour. Initial reviews say the experience of "iBook" is exceptional. Add to that the fact that you can do some other on the move tasks better, its gonna give Amazon a run for its money.

Or amazon can just decrease the prices...

I understand what you are saying, but if I am in the market for an ebook reader, I think the Kindle is a better deal. So I won't call this thing a Kindle killer. I see that as calling the PSP a Nintendo DS killer.

Now, there may be people on the fence about just getting an ebook reader who will be pushed over the edge by the added functionality. I am not disputing that.

I am very disappointed with the device. If they had taken what is a 300$ netbook and 'Applefied' it as a tablet, I would have bought it day one. :(

for anyone buying,careful handling it in the loo coz thats were its gonna spend most of its life :-D

whatsinaname said:
I understand what you are saying, but if I am in the market for an ebook reader, I think the Kindle is a better deal. So I won't call this thing a Kindle killer. I see that as calling the PSP a Nintendo DS killer.

Now, there may be people on the fence about just getting an ebook reader who will be pushed over the edge by the added functionality. I am not disputing that.

I am very disappointed with the device. If they had taken what is a 300$ netbook and 'Applefied' it as a tablet, I would have bought it day one. :(
True that , was actually considering buying this rather than upgrading my laptop ..

However what will drive the iPad's sales will be the marketing strategy of Apple .. geek's won't buy it .. but others will . The HYPE Apple generates is amazing ..!

Back