Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

I do hope AMD and Intel are shitting it right now. It is great if it pushes AMD and Intel to reach new heights. People shifting to mac from windows for 1 chip is never going to happen unless AMD and Intel cant match this performance even after years.

Hope they don't copy what apple is doing in terms of fleecing customers. Now that Apple has integrated RAM into their SOC they have jacked prices like crazy.

200$ for extra 8Gb ram LOL. No extra ports needed we will take those back. Just glad Apple doesn't have a monopoly on tech market otherwise half my salary will go in basic tech comforts.

I TOTALLY see this being the new norm in 5 years. All upgrade slots gone. :(
Also the new speeds that we see are also due to the fact that it's a SOC, and Apple is not dealing with different IO lag as compared to a typical PC (with upgradable RAM/SSD).

TIL there is a Core i9 processor too. I always thought it was i3, i5 and i7.

I am planning to buy a Macbook Air but just don't know the timeline and no I didn't decide this like yesterday after checking this new macbook but I wanted to just get one since long. Will wait and see when it materializes.

Only 15% jump in multi-cores performance is disappointing especially given how much overhype is there for no reason. Not to mention so much false marketing and fake claims of 2X performance and 5X gpu performance. Dont know what all that crap was about

I think this is absolutely fantastic performance if the geekbench result is to be believed. Such high scores relative to an i9 processor is simply outstanding. Remember they are comparing Macbook Air(Least expensive machbook) which is passively cooled with a Macbook Pro(Most expensive macbook?) i9 processor which is actively cooled. You are essentially getting the performance of a Pro model in a air model. WOW!

Just look at the numbers. Macbook Air M1 is scoring 1732 in single core & 7545 in multi core compared to a Ryzen 9 5950X which scores 1628 in single core & 15744 in multi core and remember Macbook Air is passively cooled. Now I know these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt but this is still amazing.

This is a 1st generation product, let us see how much they can scale these chips for higher end models in the future.

In the end it is always good to have competition in market primarily dominated by two companies. Clearly Apple is a closed system & this will not have much impact on either Intel or AMD or the Windows ecosystem in the short term. But it begs the question, what Nvidia could do in CPU segment now that they own ARM.

I TOTALLY see this being the new norm in 5 years. All upgrade slots gone. :(
Also the new speeds that we see are also due to the fact that it's a SOC, and Apple is not dealing with different IO lag as compared to a typical PC (with upgradable RAM/SSD).
I don't think that's gonna happen as long as people vote with their wallets. Apple's market share is very less in laptop segment so software adaption will be limited for sure. Apple has been following similar practices in iPhone but we still have amazing low priced Android alternatives available. We should be good in this front.

i was hoping that they would announce apple tv with m1 chip. it was a bummer. would have taken all the fun out of xbox and ps5.

i was hoping that they would announce apple tv with m1 chip. it was a bummer. would have taken all the fun out of xbox and ps5.
Yeah right. Sony and MS are jokers who have spent years creating franchises of exclusives and developers.

Apple would have come along and in 1 swoop bankrupted Sony and MS.

What an amateurish take.

It is undoubtedly one of the most if not the most efficient CPU and hence Apple focused a lot on performance per watt in the presentation. Have to see how it scales up with TDP, but it makes a mockery of Intel's CPU and their discrete GPU.

Still, with the minuscule market share that Macbooks have, this will not make a dent on the larger computing ecosystem. However, if it starts making its way to servers, then Intel and AMD will start hurting as efficiency matters a lot in that sphere. For now, x86 is not going anywhere and will still lead in absolute performance.

Yeah right. Sony and MS are jokers who have spent years creating franchises of exclusives and developers.

Apple would have come along and in 1 swoop bankrupted Sony and MS.

What an amateurish take.
dotmatrix printers(apple laserwriter), IBM PC(macintosh), sony walkman(ipod), sony handicam(iphone), nokia symbian phones(iphone)

dotmatrix printers(apple laserwriter), IBM PC(macintosh), sony walkman(ipod), sony handicam(iphone), nokia symbian phones(iphone)
And where are all these now? Most of them aren't even successful anymore or used by very small population. What's your point?

Do you want to bet against Sony or ms? Go ahead short their shares and buy apple shares. Or better bet on Xbox series x and ps5 failing compared to apples whatever crap gaming system they are thinking about.

Have you heard about millions and millions of apple tv sold? Hundreds of millions of Apple streaming box don't know it's name? Apple smart speakers or pod or whatever? Billions of users who use Apple maps? Siri? Billions of users who don't use Gmail but apple mail? Billions of apple music lovers over spotify or jio saavn or gaana?

No one has heard any of the above that is because All are crap. Only fan boys think apple will eliminate competition.

World wide 80%-85% phones are android despite apples most succesful product being phones.

For watching Netflix or Hulu maybe.
Launching a competing product without months of hype & marketing, showcased titles and developer/publisher affiliations won't take the fun out of decades old platforms with fanbases of millions which consider Apple to be a joke when it comes to gaming.
Apple has enough cash to make a serious attempt but I don't see them becoming a big player for the next decade at least, consoles have wafer thin margins and as you know Apple needs a 60% profit on every unit sold at least so we'll be looking at 1000$ consoles.
Maybe in 20 years when the internet is fast enough and latency issues have been fixed, they'll come out with a compelling streaming device.

Apple TV will come A13 / A14 X series chip soon but I don’t think it will rise over PS5 anytime soon.

Where is the 2X and 5X etc. jump?

This just looks incremental nothing else.

Loved the comments on the forum. Reinforced my faith in echo chambers and humans trying to live with people who have same belief system to avoid being challenged. Comments on Snapdragon vs. A chips being x times better were hahahaha.
Now, I know android and pc crowd have similar echo chambers but still its fun to see how bias can go both ways.

lool are you even serious?

if you were expecting 2x and 5x jump from the latest and fastest chip (with much higher TDW) on the market right now, you my dear friend has been in a mere delusion. you can't be serious if you were expecting that lool!!! xD

if coming close to a top of the line intel i9 laptop cpu from even last year in an extremely thin and light 1.29kg package WITH 15~ hour battery life doesn't wow you, maybe you shouldn't call yourself a tech enthusiast and be on such forums ranting how terrible a product is, just because you can't afford it. heck, even matching a decked out i7 from 2020 is a huge feat considering the power efficiency. Also this is the base variant of apple lineup.

hating on apple is not cool anymore, friend.

that said, while initial benchmarks are absolutely mind boggling, we should wait for proper testing and reviews to be out.

but those god damn bezels on the 13 macbooks. really makes those look like 3-4 years older than something like Dell XPS 13.

lool are you even serious?

if you were expecting 2x and 5x jump from the latest and fastest chip (with much higher TDW) on the market right now, you my dear friend has been in a mere delusion. you can't be serious if you were expecting that lool!!! xD

if coming close to a top of the line intel i9 laptop cpu from even last year in an extremely thin and light 1.29kg package WITH 15~ hour battery life doesn't wow you, maybe you shouldn't call yourself a tech enthusiast and be on such forums ranting how terrible a product is, just because you can't afford it. heck, even matching a decked out i7 from 2020 is a huge feat considering the power efficiency. Also this is the base variant of apple lineup.

hating on apple is not cool anymore, friend.

that said, while initial benchmarks are absolutely mind boggling, we should wait for proper testing and reviews to be out.

but those god damn bezels on the 13 macbooks. really makes those look like 3-4 years older than something like Dell XPS 13.

I didn't say that. Apple announced those jumps to the world.
Don't know where you are living but where I'm it is dumb and lame to support apple's fake marketing and bull

NO need to bring affordability into picture. Even if someone paid me to use apple products I would not. And btw im almost 100% sure I can afford more than you can so don't talk about affordability just coz you like to waste your money.

Cool your horses people, let's stick to the topic :cool:.

We shopped stop liking companies, unless your have invested some money in them, & should instead focus on liking the products. Let's wait for the performance reviews before making any judgments. As far as Apples marketing is concerned, everyone know it is total bull but that doesn't make all of their products bad. In any case if a company is increasing the performance of their products, eventually all of us will win.

Back