Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Can you few of you who have bought the Air/Pro with 8gb ram comment on their feedback and usage how it's going till now?
Absolutely fine here. although i find it to be using swap usage considerably when there are many tabs open. 1-2gb on average at least. Connected to an external monitor and at one point it used over 6.5gb in swap, when i could definitely see a reduction in performance. once I restarted the device it was back to normal (obviously due to killing of tabs).

iirc i didn't have even office apps open at that time. just a lot of tabs and spotify/notes/mail/finder.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 at 2.59.01 PM.png

Get 16gb of ram if you're any kind of heavy user (except heavy web browsing) and intend to keep it for 4-5 years at least. I don't suggest getting a pro 13 now since a 14 refresh could be very near.

Photoshop/lightroom runs beautifully (night and day difference compared to previous mbp) even though it means even more swap usage.

Absolutely fine here. although i find it to be using swap usage considerably when there are many tabs open. 1-2gb on average at least. Connected to an external monitor and at one point it used over 6.5gb in swap, when i could definitely see a reduction in performance. once I restarted the device it was back to normal (obviously due to killing of tabs).

iirc i didn't have even office apps open at that time. just a lot of tabs and spotify/notes/mail/finder.

View attachment 98036

Get 16gb of ram if you're any kind of heavy user (except heavy web browsing) and intend to keep it for 4-5 years at least. I don't suggest getting a pro 13 now since a 14 refresh could be very near.

Photoshop/lightroom runs beautifully (night and day difference compared to previous mbp) even though it means even more swap usage.

Thanks for your feedback dear, I am also planning to get 16gb one but it needs to be directly from Apple store without the HDFC offer making it 26k costly over the 8gb one. Paying 26k for 8gb ram seems to be too much.
This makes me rethink about the 8gb or 16gb one as I am presently already using old 2015 pro with 16gb ram!

View attachment 98036

Could you tell us what is the RAM used after a fresh restart? Basically trying to understand how much RAM is consumed by OS and and how much is available for the end user.

when you say during swap usage, the performance is reduced, did you notice any kind of lag or stutter?

Could you tell us what is the RAM used after a fresh restart? Basically trying to understand how much RAM is consumed by OS and and how much is available for the end user.

when you say during swap usage, the performance is reduced, did you notice any kind of lag or stutter?
Apple SSDs are very fast and memory management very good. Swap doesnt slow down things even on 2015 macbook air, doubt these will have any issue.

+1
zero slowdowns yet.. I do not do anything computationally intensive but do have a lot of emails/ excel/ docs + Team/zoom + browser with 10-15 tabs open all the time..
The above used to be OK with a 2019 i5 MBP as well as a LG Gram i5 10th Gen (16GB) but would be prone to some minor lagginess esp with mission control or the windows equivalent (win+tab)

The 8GB MBA has yet to show any signs of slowness or lag.. FWIW, even outlook is noticeably faster on the M1 vs the Windows 10th gen i5 with 16 GB

I am currently using the win machine in docked mode with an external monitor (and resisting the temptation to get a mini :masked: )

I think it is fair to say that 8GB on this subjectively feels as good if not better than 16 on Win.. YMMV..

Edit: I read this thread today from page 1.. wonder where the naysayers are now :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I have to say this again - this thing is a joy to use and continues to amaze me

It is a bit chilly in Pune alright - but nothing like the North Indian winters
These are the system temps in the morning
photo_2021-01-11 16.07.36.jpeg

And this is after constant usage docked with an external 4K monitor + internal display + peripherals and right after a long VC on Teams (which had always felt like a turbo mode switch on windows laptops)

1610361684227.png

Any deals offline on the M1? Also I was considering a 16GB so that I can be reasonably protected for a few years. I think the Air will last me a few years and don't want to feel hamstrung later. Use cases include 15 - 20 tabs of Chrome, python programming and some data crunching if required.

@superczar

Le Liya kya already? Which one?

@pguy

I think best deal offline is 5-6% student discount (varies from store to store) + 6000 HDFC Cashback.
Online it is 10% student discount and not HDFC Cashback.

I opted for latter as former option wasn't working out for me and stock wasn't even available in stores. I am hoping to receive my MBA M1 this week.

@superczar

Le Liya kya already? Which one?

@pguy

I think best deal offline is 5-6% student discount (varies from store to store) + 6000 HDFC Cashback.
Online it is 10% student discount and not HDFC Cashback.

I opted for latter as former option wasn't working out for me and stock wasn't even available in stores. I am hoping to receive my MBA M1 this week.
Been a while - The MBA 8/256. Had picked it from local store with HDFC cashback..
Deal question was for the mac mini as I was getting tempted to replace desktop with that :)

You should have picked that TataCliq one the other day- you'd have got it weeks ago :p

PS: Eventually decided against the mini and got a multiport adapter instead to make this a (single wire ) desktop instead :grinning:
Any deals offline on the M1? Also I was considering a 16GB so that I can be reasonably protected for a few years. I think the Air will last me a few years and don't want to feel hamstrung later. Use cases include 15 - 20 tabs of Chrome, python programming and some data crunching if required.
Don't get the 16GB unless you really have a current use case (which does not appear to be the case).
I have a windows Ice Lake laptop with 16GB - it's not bad at multi window messy desktop usage - this one still runs circles around it with 8GB ...

If you feel handicapped by 8GB say 2-3 years down the line, you will still be able to sell it a pretty decent price and use that to get an upgrade if needed

Last edited:
And this is after constant usage docked with an external 4K monitor + internal display + peripherals and right after a long VC on Teams (which had always felt like a turbo mode switch on windows laptops)

How are you connecting it to a 4k monitor ? By using some third party accessory ? I have one but it kind of lags. Would appreciate if you can share your setup.

How are you connecting it to a 4k monitor ? By using some third party accessory ? I have one but it kind of lags. Would appreciate if you can share your setup.
That's mostly because you would be using a generic USB C hub from amazon/aliexp
99% of them will drive the monitor at 4K30 (and not 4K60) and 4k30 will feel laggy/choppy

You can either use a dedicated USB C to HDMI cable (just make sure it clearly says 4k60) or an apple Multiport Adapter (A2119)

I had the former - but since I decided to use the same M1 to replace my desktop , I picked the A2119

With it It's just a single wire to dock / undock
Once docked, it's connected to a 4k60 monitor, gigabit ethernet, charger and some other minor peripherals (KB/Mice/ external Mic/ Wireless headset etc)

That's mostly because you would be using a generic USB C hub from amazon/aliexp
99% of them will drive the monitor at 4K30 (and not 4K60) and 4k30 will feel laggy/choppy

You can either use a dedicated USB C to HDMI cable (just make sure it clearly says 4k60) or an apple Multiport Adapter (A2119)

So damn true. I got this USB HUB from Aliexpress and I didn't know something like A2119 existed which could drive 4k at 60HZ, that too directly from Apple.

So damn true. I got this USB HUB from Aliexpress and I didn't know something like A2119 existed which could drive 4k at 60HZ, that too directly from Apple.
Yeah and it's not particularly expensive either.
4k60 docks from Lenovo and other known brands are all North of 15k

I have to say this again - this thing is a joy to use and continues to amaze me

It is a bit chilly in Pune alright - but nothing like the North Indian winters
These are the system temps in the morning
View attachment 98202

View attachment 98203

Thank You @superczar for your feedback and after watching Youtube reviews of pros and cons finally pulled the trigger to get Air 8/256gb from Reliance Digital!
It was a breeze buying from Reliance Digital after spending loads of time/calls with other apple authorized resellers!
Using this after using Pro 15inch 2015 16/256gb is really good experience, still setting this up.
Thanks to everyone in this forum that we have such a lovely place where we interact.
Feel free to post your queries and would love to answer them.

Thank You @superczar for your feedback and after watching Youtube reviews of pros and cons finally pulled the trigger to get Air 8/256gb from Reliance Digital!
It was a breeze buying from Reliance Digital after spending loads of time/calls with other apple authorized resellers!
Using this after using Pro 15inch 2015 16/256gb is really good experience, still setting this up.
Thanks to everyone in this forum that we have such a lovely place where we interact.

Yes, seems the resellers are really not providing good customer service. For refunding my booking amount of 1000, they don't have a way to just refund to same card, they asked my bank account and all stuff and said they will refund in 7-10 working days.

Was there any discount?

Back