Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Question to people who are using this feature, when connecting an external screen, does MacOS have an option to display on the second screen only and shut off the laptop's screen. My brother was telling me there was no such option but I thought maybe he wasn't familiar with MacOS options.

Question to people who are using this feature, when connecting an external screen, does MacOS have an option to display on the second screen only and shut off the laptop's screen. My brother was telling me there was no such option but I thought maybe he wasn't familiar with MacOS options.
Two options

1) select mirroring and keep pressing f1 till screen shuts - if you want to keep lid open

2) Keep display as extended (or mirrored) Connect to power source and Close the lid

Those who bought it, what's the update after using it for a few weeks now ? Any cons ? What about the overall RAM usage ?

I am thinking of getting the Pro Model with 8GB of RAM. Wanted to get the 16GB one but there's a waiting period of 2-3 weeks for that and I cannot wait that long.

Got my MacBook Air delivered today, opted for silver over space grey because it is more classy imho.

Some initial impressions - Keyboard is what impressed me the most, coming from 2015 there is less travel but keys are more sturdy and clicky. Keys in 2015 feels wobbly in comparison. Speakers are another major improvement with real bass coming from those tiny speakers. Bezels have become minimal and screen feels more immersive. Resolution wise I felt text to be smaller then 2015 I had, so there is more real estate here. Form factor imo is better then Pro as it feels more dense. Overall fluidness is better but not by a whole lot margin..

Forgot to add Touch ID, nice addition for those already in the ecosystem.

Last edited:
Got my MacBook Air delivered today, opted for silver over space grey because it is more classy imho.

Some initial impressions - Keyboard is what impressed me the most, coming from 2015 there is less travel but keys are more sturdy and clicky. Keys in 2015 feels wobbly in comparison. Speakers are another major improvement with real bass coming from those tiny speakers. Bezels have become minimal and screen feels more immersive. Resolution wise I felt text to be smaller then 2015 I had, so there is more real estate here. Form factor imo is better then Pro as it feels more dense. Overall fluidness is better but not by a whole lot margin..

Congratulations bro [emoji322]

Am surprised you see only a small diff in performance
I see a major jump even against the 2019 MBP.

What apps are you using?

i second that. i LOVE the new keyboard and bigger trackpad.

however, fluidness was night and day difference for me.

Am surprised you see only a small diff in performance
I see a major jump even against the 2019 MBP.

What apps are you using?
There is huge difference in performance for example in Xcode builds, there is simply no match in performance.

I was talking about simple day to day tasks like web browsing. It's fast and snappy but not flying or zooming as I was initially expecting.

I was talking about simple day to day tasks like web browsing. It's fast and snappy but not flying or zooming as I was initially expecting.
uhm... this exactly is what night and day diff for me.

i even changed thermal paste to grizly kryonaut last year on the 2015 pro. even website load times are immensely improved compared to that.

There is huge difference in performance for example in Xcode builds, there is simply no match in performance.

Hope you are using safari - and not chrome
uhm... this exactly is what night and day diff for me.

i even changed thermal paste to grizly kryonaut last year on the 2015 pro. even website load times are immensely improved compared to that.
Same here.
Almost all sites load instantly with near no rendering/loading delays.
Even outlook reacts instantly while going through mails.
It was rather unsettling at the start :joycat:

I am new Mac user and I am super duper surprised as how awesome the speakers are the M1 Air. I am sure older Air also speakers must have been so good but since I have no experience with any older MBA, and this being first, I was really impressed.

My wife too has got used to the MBA nicely and uses to prepare notes for our kid. I am getting used to the gestures on these as it is new way to use laptop for me but I love using them. Instant On when opening lid is also nice. It is like macbook never went to standby.

The speakers in Apple laptops are indeed great ( for years now...and somehow they keep on improving them)...just wishing for the return of a card slot, USB A ( not happening) and some improvement with LPX and third party plugins...will ditch Windows in a heartbeat..

Thinking of getting a new spare 61W MacBook Pro USB-C charger for my MBA.

It should work right or is it not advisable to go for higher wattage charger to prolong battery life of the device.

Why higher? AFAIK fast charging degrades battery in the long run.
However in general MBP/MBAs retain battery capacity way longer than Windows laptops.

Thinking of getting a new spare 61W MacBook Pro USB-C charger for my MBA.

It should work right or is it not advisable to go for higher wattage charger to prolong battery life of the device.
The difference in charging time is negligible on air. also i wouldn't want to put on extra stress than what the device is designed for.

Back