Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

online if it says 1-2 weeks, you’ll most probably get it within a week. apple tend to overestimate delivery dates. can confirm too. brother had 2-3 weeks, got it within 2 weeks, friend had 1-2 weeks recently, got it in a week.

While I got in the week they told and they gave me exact time line as something like between 07th - 14th Jan and it came closer to 14th Jan only.

Please Elaborate.
The owner of the Air I was using for testing LPX used some usb hub for charging.. possibly the logic board got fried...I went with her to the Apple service center... of course we didn't tell about the misadventure...but the guy asked us repeatedly... eventually gave her a new machine after a week.

The owner of the Air I was using for testing LPX used some usb hub for charging.. possibly the logic board got fried...I went with her to the Apple service center...if course we didn't tell about the misadventure...but the guy asked us repeatedly... eventually gave her a new machine after a week.

Yes I have read about issues with 3rd party USB C Hubs which have PD port and people use it. I too have one 3rd party USB C Hub and it also has the PD port but after reading all the things on internet, I have decided never to use the PD port to charge to macbook lest I fry my macbook's motherboard.

But this thing defies logic..I used the same hub to use with my old Gram, works perfectly.
Getting a replacement from Apple is a nightmare now...the guy at the service center told us that it will take at least 3-4 weeks to repair the logic board....we obviously refused to accept the offer, he even tried to give us an i5 MBP as replacement...after almost 45 minutes of back and forth with his senior, then his senior eventually after a heated phone call with someone high up ( a typical sneaky salesman who climbed up the ladder and knows pretty well how to deal with bad customers like us) we got the replacement after waiting for 7 days.
I have to go that same area again later this week..this time with Sennheiser service ( in general their service is exceptionally well...but this is not Praha...but if it's a lady...I will use my special German speaking charm, which is basically French with 2-3 common sweet German words in it, these things never work with Apple, bloody Americans!!)

Last edited:
I don’t know why everyone thinks it’s some kind of new invention by Apple when we are used to seeing SOC’s from a long time in mobile and tablets. It’s just that M1 SOC is the 1st wide scale application in Desktop/Laptop world.

Well because no-one else was so aggressive with implementing an ARM soc on their models, let alone the flagship ones, except Microsoft with their Surface X.

I was very much looking forward to X, but when the reports of outright rubbish performance came out, I thought maybe we shouldn't expect much from 1st gen but Apple has proved me wrong. Add to that, Microsoft wasn't/isn't very serious about x86 to arm transition yet, whereas Apple has outdone my expectations.

Second, I already expected the chip to be power efficient since its ARM soc and 5nm, and have okay-ish performance since we always hear A14 to perform very well, but I don't think anyone expected them to demolish Intel and give stiff competition to AMD's Ryzen 4000 and 5000 series, which by the way run at 30+W.

To be frank, Tesla is using a 100 year old invention (AA Lithium Cell) and a few Motors. Fundamentally, there is nothing new but hadn't Elon been bullish on this tech, no major manufacturer would've thought of shifting to Electric cars even in next 50 years.

And before I start to sound like a fanboy (they are the worst), I have recently purchased a Ryzen 4500u laptop for my sis, and looking to get another Ryzen laptop for my mom. For those who don't mind the price tag of ₹93k, MBA is the best option but for budget-conscious, newer Ryzen laptops are the way to go. As some youtuber noted, there has never been a better time for budget conscious to get a laptop. Hoping for stiffer competition among Apple, Intel and AMD - good for us consumers.

Well because no-one else was so aggressive with implementing an ARM soc on their models, let alone the flagship ones, except Microsoft with their Surface X.

I was very much looking forward to X, but when the reports of outright rubbish performance came out, I thought maybe we shouldn't expect much from 1st gen but Apple has proved me wrong. Add to that, Microsoft wasn't/isn't very serious about x86 to arm transition yet, whereas Apple has outdone my expectations.

Second, I already expected the chip to be power efficient since its ARM soc and 5nm, and have okay-ish performance since we always hear A14 to perform very well, but I don't think anyone expected them to demolish Intel and give stiff competition to AMD's Ryzen 4000 and 5000 series, which by the way run at 30+W.

To be frank, Tesla is using a 100 year old invention (AA Lithium Cell) and a few Motors. Fundamentally, there is nothing new but hadn't Elon been bullish on this tech, no major manufacturer would've thought of shifting to Electric cars even in next 50 years.

And before I start to sound like a fanboy (they are the worst), I have recently purchased a Ryzen 4500u laptop for my sis, and looking to get another Ryzen laptop for my mom. For those who don't mind the price tag of ₹93k, MBA is the best option but for budget-conscious, newer Ryzen laptops are the way to go. As some youtuber noted, there has never been a better time for budget conscious to get a laptop. Hoping for stiffer competition among Apple, Intel and AMD - good for us consumers.
Tesla example was really good, to be fair electric vehicles was not new but the way Tesla took over entire market was not really expected from such a new company.

Apple is known to take such bold moves even in past, to the point it took them to extinction and revival. At least they have learnt from the past and Rosetta 2 is shipped out of the box.

I know apple doesn't mention the endurance rating, but what's the typical / upper limit of 256 GB NVMe SSD ?
150-200 TBW depending on type of chip used.
The screenshot above seems a bit off though.

In order for this kind of throughput to have occurred in 191 hours, the machine would have needed to do 50 MB R/W per second continously while powered on.
I have never seen disk activity anywhere remotely close to it in activity monitor unless loading an app or saving a file.
And for FWIW, the last couple of macs I sold were at 91% and 100% SSD life after 4 years and 1.5 years of usage respectively at the time of being sold

Edit: Seems mostly BS (or very unusual) if not outright an outright eyeball grabbing stunt
I checked TBW for a 2 month old M1 and a 3 Month old Windows (LG Gram)
The M1 has seen a lot more extensive usage including downloading and indexing of 100+GB of many years worth of user data/photo library from iCloud .
The LG has seen regular productivity apps usage but not transfer/indexing of historical data

The TBW on the M1 is 3.2TB and 2.1TB on the LG Gram

Last edited:
congo. they will 100% sure :woot:

While I got in the week they told and they gave me exact time line as something like between 07th - 14th Jan and it came closer to 14th Jan only.

Got the 8gb/256gb M1 variant from Apple within a week, well under promised timeline.

So far, so good.
--------------------

Guys, recommendations for a hub for MBA ? Something which can expand USB capabilities and doesn't fry charging too.

Last edited:
Back