Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

i have pixelmator pro that i use for casual editing. haven’t faced this issue so far so kinda weird.
is this happening with all photos or a few?

on a side note, the latest update (11.2.2) acknowledges and supposedly fixes the PD charging/ bricking issue with third party hubs.
Happened on a few photos. I am on non pro version (from Mac store).

I got an update day before yesterday. Have to check version.

Hope you guys ( specially coming from Windows) are not turning off the computers after the day's work. Just close the lid and done. The battery drain is practically nothing.
I am so used to this practice that I'm doing the same with windows laptop. Windows 10 has improved considerably in these small but useful things, but Macs are still far better.
I miss the spotlight search so much in Windows!!

We don't use it daily, may be it is more weekly. Still I should not shut it down? Because I know it is ON still when lid is closed since If I open the "Find My" app on my iPhone, it shows Macbook as online and shows location too.

We don't use it daily, may be it is more weekly. Still I should not shut it down? Because I know it is ON still when lid is closed since If I open the "Find My" app on my iPhone, it shows Macbook as online and shows location too.
Another way to look at it is how you don't shut down your tablet when done.
Treat this (or older non ARM macs for that matter) the same way.

I never shut it down (and that's how it has been for 10+ years) unless an OS upgrade or a crash happens

Never shut my Apple laptops in 10 years unless prompted after OS/ some software update. Nothing happens to them. If the old intel chips behaved so nicely..

Advise everyone to update their M1 Mac asap especially if using any 3rd party USB-C hubs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 5.31.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 5.31.12 PM.png
    329.4 KB · Views: 109
Don’t be dear, it will definitely be related to voltage/power spikes and ranges to motherboard via power controller which would have been controlled using software so as to prevent any further damage!
That's the part which is unusual.
PD profiles max out at 20V
The pre 11.2.2 OS/ firmware supported that already (i.e. system supported the max voltage profile to begin with anyway).
It's hard to say what was going wrong - and I doubt it will be documented / shared.
A good outcome nontheless

Having said that, I have been using mine with PD charging via the first party hub/ other (USB certified) chargers and power banks for a couple of months now with no ill effects.
I was (and continue to be) wary of using PD via no-name hubs or chargers for all of my C PD devices.

That's not going to happen till Windows for ARM is truly ready and available as a general release.
Some low perf solutions using a x64 emulator will become available for die-hard win fans but It would be kind of pointless to have a mega crippled VM running within an emulator otherwise

That's not going to happen till Windows for ARM is truly ready and available as a general release.
Some low perf solutions using a x64 emulator will become available for die-hard win fans but It would be kind of pointless to have a mega crippled VM running within an emulator otherwise
But why cant it run x86 windows in VM when it can run MAC OS x86 apps :O

this is something i am looking forward to but there is no hypervisor yet. which is disappointing...
sad :(

But why cant it run x86 windows in VM when it can run MAC OS x86 apps :O

sad :(
Emulating a single app with a limited number of threads is very different from emulating a full blown OS designed for a different architecture.
There is a discernible performance loss vs native performance when running even a bare-metal hypervisor.
More so when you run a VM as a hosted OS

And in both the scenarios above , the VM does not require added overheads for instruction translation.
In other word, this would mean running a hosted VM in emulation mode.
So while technically, it is likely still feasible - but the overheads will be a bit too much for it to be of much practical use

Emulating a single app with a limited number of threads is very different from emulating a full blown OS designed for a different architecture.
There is a discernible performance loss vs native performance when running even a bare-metal hypervisor.
More so when you run a VM as a hosted OS

And in both the scenarios above , the VM does not require added overheads for instruction translation.
In other word, this would mean running a hosted VM in emulation mode.
So while technically, it is likely still feasible - but the overheads will be a bit too much for it to be of much practical use
Just need it running even if the performance is 50% of bare metal. Most of the stuff its used for will be very basic apps. Hell even Windows 7 will do.

Just need it running even if the performance is 50% of bare metal. Most of the stuff its used for will be very basic apps. Hell even Windows 7 will do.
There is a technical preview of parallels for M1 on their site.
You may want to check that out.
Having said that, there are hardly any basic apps that don't have a corresponding equivalent (or workaround) between either platforms - What specifically are you looking to run?

I think running VM on Mac is anyways a dumb idea, its unoptimised junk especially when compared to Parallels.

Parallels as of now their stable version is not out yet, but once available it should run Windows ARM without glitches.

Back